5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

On 4/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks, 

I just came across this nugget:  ‘. . . Justice Department would support legal action against states that continue to impose strict social distancing rules . . .’

Odd that he thinks that states cannot impose social distancing rules, but it is okay for states to require certain hallway widths for clinics providing abortions.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks, 

I just came across this nugget:  ‘. . . Justice Department would support legal action against states that continue to impose strict social distancing rules . . .’

40 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Odd that he thinks that states cannot impose social distancing rules, but it is okay for states to require certain hallway widths for clinics providing abortions.

Why odd? One concept involves religion the other public health. One is an important voting block and the other doesn't matter.

(edited)
10 hours ago, billvon said:

Fun fact - 

Hannity spouted so much coronavirus misinformation on FOX that his viewers actually died in larger numbers due to their lack of preventative action.

Go FOX!

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/BFI_WP_202044.pdf

Similar reasons reinforce my decision to not view their website, or listen to their broadcasts.

Edited by turtlespeed

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Similar reasons reinforce my decision to not view their website, or listen to their broadcasts.

And yet they still suckered you into believing the rest of the media was being unfair to Georgia.

4 minutes ago, jakee said:

And yet they still suckered you into believing the rest of the media was being unfair to Georgia.

No.  I listened to the governor's speech.

One doesn't have to agree with every single aspect of an action to support the basic premise of the action.

It does seem that if you oppose the speaker, any tiny discrepancy is cause to deny the entire idea.

I am guilty of that as well.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

No.  I listened to the governor's speech.

One doesn't have to agree with every single aspect of an action to support the basic premise of the action.

It does seem that if you oppose the speaker, any tiny discrepancy is cause to deny the entire idea.

That is utterly absurd.

Pretty much everyone supports the basic premise of getting back to normal when it is safe to do so. However, in this case the details of how that happens are actually pretty freakin' important. Being too quick to re-open businesses that require personal contact is not a tiny discrepancy. Being too quick to re-open bars, restauraunts and other places of mass gathering is not a tiny discrepancy. It is blatant dishonesty for you to suggest that it is.

Again, even the biggest cheerleader of reopening there is, DJT himself, is criticising the Georgia governor over this, yet you contnue to insist that Fox is right and the only reason the media criticised him is because he's a Republican. Who do you think you're kidding right now?

36 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

...I say let Georgia do what it wishes, or any other state for that matter. Most people will use common sense, not make it a constitutional issue. Those that do not, if they become sick, will garner little sympathy from others...

While this sounds great, it's REALLY wrong.

If the only people who were affected by that behavior were those people, then I'd be fine with it.
But that's not what will happen.

"Those that do not" will infect themselves, then become infectious and infect a LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE before getting sick themselves.

(edited)

A couple technical developments:

1. More on the strange blood-clotting the virus is causing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/22/coronavirus-blood-clots/

2. And for something really weird:

French researchers to test nicotine patches on coronavirus patients

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

ETA: Covid-19 causes sudden strokes in young adults, doctors say

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/strokes-coronavirus-young-adults/index.html

Edited by ryoder

11 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

While this sounds great, it's REALLY wrong.

If the only people who were affected by that behavior were those people, then I'd be fine with it.
But that's not what will happen.

"Those that do not" will infect themselves, then become infectious and infect a LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE before getting sick themselves.

Agreed - I'm half way between you and Mr Blevins.

7 minutes ago, ryoder said:

A couple technical developments:

1. More on the strange blood-clotting the virus is causing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/22/coronavirus-blood-clots/

2. And for something really weird:

French researchers to test nicotine patches on coronavirus patients

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

Can't see the post article.

Press should be free.:tongue:

11 hours ago, billvon said:

Fun fact - 

Hannity spouted so much coronavirus misinformation on FOX that his viewers actually died in larger numbers due to their lack of preventative action.

Go FOX!

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/BFI_WP_202044.pdf

Just to be clear, this is a comparison between Hannity and other FOX News shows, specifically Tucker Carlson and how Carlson was warning about the seriousness of the coronavirus even before Trump announced it as a public health emergency way back on January 31st.

Also from study:

Tucker Carlson - Feburary 25

"Currently, the coronavirus appears to kill about two percent of the people who have it. So let’s be generous for a moment and imagine that asymptomatic carriers are not detected and the real death rate is only say half a percent — that would be one quarter of the current estimates. Even under that scenario, there would still be 27 million deaths from coronavirus globally. In this country, more than a million would die."

Hannity - February 27

today, thankfully, zero people in the United States of America have died from the coronavirus. Zero. Now, let’s put this in perspective. In 2017, 61,000 people in this country died from influenza, the flu. Common flu.

Fun Fact:

Billvon - February 27

"Keep in mind that there have been about 2800 deaths from Covid-19 so far - worldwide.  So far this year, there have been 16,000 deaths from the ordinary flu in the US alone.  So I am all for working to figure out preventative measures for Covid-19 - but don't neglect protection from a much more deadly disease."

Gowlerk Response to Billvon

"I'm not advocating panic. But this statistic that I keep hearing about the flu is meaningless. We have a good grip on the death rate from influenza. IF covid-19 becomes as common as influenza, and IF the death rate remains at the current best guesstimate of 2 to 3 % it has the potential to kill at least 10 times the number."

Billvon Response to Gowlerk

Right.  The odds are low but they are there.  (Of course, that's true of flu as well; it could mutate and cause a lot more deaths.)  Again, best approach - hand washing, flu shot, stay home when you are sick.

Given the above, Billvon is like Hannity and Gowlerk is like Tucker. . .:p

Also, if Hannity's quote above is misinformation according to the study, how are your statements not misinformation?

Could you imagine if Trump said something similar?  "OMG, Trump is downplaying the seriousness of the virus!  Millions will die and the idiot thinks the best approach is to fight it with the flu shot!"

36 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Just to be clear, this is a comparison between Hannity and other FOX News shows, specifically Tucker Carlson and how Carlson was warning about the seriousness of the coronavirus even before Trump announced it as a public health emergency way back on January 31st....

Also, if Hannity's quote above is misinformation according to the study, how are your statements not misinformation?

Could you imagine if Trump said something similar?  "OMG, Trump is downplaying the seriousness of the virus!  Millions will die and the idiot thinks the best approach is to fight it with the flu shot!"

Because FOX is a multibillion dollar news organization. Hannity, Carlson et al are their star broadcasters with millions of lapdogs. Including trump. They claim protections from prosecution using, freedom of the press clauses. Billvon and Gowlerk are repeating what they read and what they derive from that information.

trump is President with the combined resources of the state behind him. See the difference?

9 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Because FOX is a multibillion dollar news organization. Hannity, Carlson et al are their star broadcasters with millions of lapdogs. Including trump. They claim protections from prosecution using, freedom of the press clauses. Billvon and Gowlerk are repeating what they read and what they derive from that information.

trump is President with the combined resources of the state behind him. See the difference?

Incorrect. It's an entertainment organization.

17 minutes ago, normiss said:

Incorrect. It's an entertainment organization.

Thats true but they like to use free press license under the US constitution to entertain. The guise of a news organization is likely more accurate. Sort of like trump represents himself as a businessman rather than a con-man. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Have you ever seen two Frenchmen greeting each other? Any C-19 study involving the French is fatally flawed.

Actually, I've read a couple of things that say that the various countries' interpersonal greeting styles (hugs, air kisses, hand shaking, head nod) have some correlation with the speed with which Coronavirus spreads (along with degree of crowding and general personal space). I didn't see actual numbers, but in a world where linear thinking and causal relationships are a thing of the past, I don't see why my truthiness shouldn't be included.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

... but in a world where linear thinking and causal relationships are a thing of the past, I don't see why my truthiness shouldn't be included.

Wendy P.

Careful thats Ron-speak.  I had a deal with a nurse the other day and the payment was made to me, with pre-counted  cash in a ziplock bag. Then yesterday a guy comes by and wants to shake my hand. I turned it into a elbow bump. When outside and talking to someone I always ensure that I'm either upwind or ninety degrees to the wind.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Umm, he did. In every sense. He brought out the flu comparison, he expressed surprise that anyone dies from the flu anyway, and he suggested trying the flu vaccine against the new coronavirus.

Edited by jakee

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Umm, he did. In every sense. He brought out the flu comparison, he expressed surprise that anyone dies from the flu anyway, and he suggested trying the flu vaccine against the new coronavirus.

And then, after touring the CDC, he claimed that the doctors there were amazed at how much he knew. 

He also claimed that he knew it was a pandemic before anyone else.

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

And then, after touring the CDC, he claimed that the doctors there were amazed at how much he knew. 

He also claimed that he knew it was a pandemic before anyone else.

Jesus Trump is a moron. I just watched the clip where he suggests injecting disinfectant to kill the virus

The problem is that it's not a binary solution.

It's not 'keep the economy shut down and bring on a depression vs open the economy and have a few more people sick'
It's more 'keep the economy shut down until we can open it safely or open it too soon and cause far, far, faaaaar greater havoc when the disease spikes'. 

Nobody's seen this in their lifetime. Well, maybe a few who are over 100. But I doubt they remember anything.

But there are records.

Many of them show that places that stayed shut down longer recovered economically sooner.

Some of them showed that places that opened up sooner saw the disease return with a vengeance:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/opinions/denver-1918-lesson-avlon/index.html?utm_content=2020-04-22T23%3A00%3A09&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&fbclid=IwAR2URVyYvUUCm8SnNy4NhOdl8tMrbGFcJQTH1pgvf_vp_XiFX0w-9-Tn8Wg