5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Exactly how does the Dump administration plan to open something they did not close???

Beats me, but as I look at the assembly of worthies I see that if the bottom three are moved a bit further right (never left) there is room for another expert. Turtlespeed? 

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Beats me, but as I look at the assembly of worthies I see that if the bottom three are moved a bit further right (never left) there is room for another expert. Turtlespeed? 

I'm surprised Peter Navarro or Betsy DeVos  aren't in there.

21 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

?????? Airdivr is far more qualified. He comes with a wife so he would be a twofer.

52 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Exactly how does the Dump administration plan to open something they did not close???

Hi Robert,

'Trump: It’s my decision, not governors’, to reopen country'

'But the law suggests the president has less power than he thinks.'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/13/trump-governors-decision-reopen-183405

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks,

My daughter just sent me this:

If Trump was captain on the Titanic:

There isn't any iceberg.

There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean.

The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon.

There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg.

We hit the iceberg , but the damage will be repaired very shortly.

The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg.

We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats.

Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them.

We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors.

Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats.

I really don't think we need that many lifeboats.

We have lifeboats and they’re supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats.

The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship.

Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg.

I take no responsibility.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 4

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

You're going to have to show me where any state and local leaders admitted any errors.

How about the Governor of Minnesota?

He’s not afraid to admit mistakes and change policies. After refusing for a week to name long-term care facilities where patients contracted COVID-19, he and his commissioners agreed to identify the centers, saying the public’s right to know outweighed the patients’ privacy.

Source:https://www.twincities.com/2020/04/11/gov-tim-walz-and-the-coronavirus-the-former-football-coach-and-sergeant-major-faces-his-biggest-battle/

The Governor of Wisconsin was saying for a week or so that he felt that the citizens were doing a good enough job of staying inside and apart that he didn't think he would have to issue any 'stay at home' order. He had to change his mind on that. I can't find where he used the exact word 'mistake', but he said that he was changing it after listening to the experts. 

41 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

?????? Airdivr is far more qualified. He comes with a wife so he would be a twofer.

Obviously, with his qualifications, he was under consideration. Unfortunately, from time to time, he has fleeting moments of lucidity which ruled him out. I believe our own polymath Turtlespeed will do an outstanding job and also fit in on day one.

5 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

My daughter just sent me this:

If Trump was captain on the Titanic:

There isn't any iceberg.

There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean.

The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon.

There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg.

We hit the iceberg , but the damage will be repaired very shortly.

The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg.

We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats.

Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them.

We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors.

Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats.

I really don't think we need that many lifeboats.

We have lifeboats and they’re supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats.

The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship.

Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg.

I take no responsibility.

Jerry Baumchen

Don't forget:

"I like this captain stuff. I really get it.  Every one of these other captains said, ‘how do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability."

"This is a very brilliant iceberg. You know, it’s a brilliant iceberg. They develop these minesweepers. You see them all the time.  Minesweepers used to stop every iceberg.   Now one of the biggest problems the world has is that these icebergs have gotten so brilliant that minesweepers can't keep up with them.  And they are constantly trying to come up with a new - people go on a ship and they - they go to the Lido deck and - there's an iceberg - and they end up dying from. . .  problems.  You know the problems I'm talking about.  There's a whole genius to that iceberg."

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Thankfully the states can do as they please and ignore the brain trust from the galaxy of ignorance.

True, but they can't stop a neighbouring state run by similar thinkers from transporting random strands of viral RNA across state lines.

The US was always going to have more problems than some other countries. If nothing else, that "you can't tell me what to do I'm an American" ethos that dominates a lot of people has them going against recommendations, and doing whatever they want, and bitching on FB that this lockdown is the "biggest government seizure of power in the history of America."

One contagious person can spread a whole lot of virus.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

The US was always going to have more problems than some other countries. If nothing else, that "you can't tell me what to do I'm an American" ethos that dominates a lot of people has them going against recommendations, and doing whatever they want, and bitching on FB that this lockdown is the "biggest government seizure of power in the history of America."

Wendy P.

Seriously? I guess you've never been on an Italian train or in the no smoking area in a restaurant in Firenze. If that's the standard pretty much anywhere in Asia is more American than America.

44 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Seriously? I guess you've never been on an Italian train or in the no smoking area in a restaurant in Firenze. If that's the standard pretty much anywhere in Asia is more American than America.

Or China where they have banned "wet markets" at least 1/2 dozen times. At least America is no worse and no better.

I was just talking to a friend who lives in Kingston, ONT; their hospital has one COVID patient. She said that their streets are like ghost streets. And I'm FB friends with a lot of Texas skydivers (who have a lot of opinions). Maybe my viewpoint is skewed. 

Wendy P.

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Or China where they have banned "wet markets" at least 1/2 dozen times. At least America is no worse and no better.

Phil,

Wendy's point implied that Americans, if I understood properly, were more predisposed to disregard rules than other nationalities. My personal experience tells me otherwise. 

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

I was just talking to a friend who lives in Kingston, ONT; their hospital has one COVID patient. She said that their streets are like ghost streets. And I'm FB friends with a lot of Texas skydivers (who have a lot of opinions). Maybe my viewpoint is skewed. 

Wendy P.

Wendy,

To divert, what is your thinking on how this will play out amongst up jumpers? Will most be ready to pack into airplanes like sardines, and no worries, as soon as the first all clear signal blows? I'm guessing no.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Wendy,

To divert, what is your thinking on how this will play out amongst up jumpers? Will most be ready to pack into airplanes like sardines, and no worries, as soon as the first all clear signal blows? I'm guessing no.

Not Wendy, but like her, my FB list includes a lot of jumpers with all sorts of 'leanings'.

Some want to go right now. They think this whole thing is overblown and we should open up the country today (or yesterday). A couple of them are in Texas.

Others are at the other end. They likely wouldn't get on an Otter until there's a vaccine. 

I tend to be in the middle. Once the restrictions are relaxed, once the new cases are waaay down, I'll think about it. Most likely start at the closer 182 DZ (30 min drive), only 4 plus pilot. 
When I'd be comfortable going down to the Otter DZ (about 2 hours away) is something that I won't really 'decide that it's time until I decide that it's time'. 

Edit to add: Part of that decision would be based on the activity in the hangar. There's a lot of interaction that doesn't involve the plane.

Edited by wolfriverjoe