5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

The reason for masks in public is to protect other people around you. Each person who's contagious and doesn't know it that's wearing a mask is containing most (though not all) of what they spread. No, it's not perfect, but sometimes it's better than nothing.

Wendy P.

58 minutes ago, Baksteen said:

I really don't understand this. What are they thinking?

Most facemasks don't do anything to protect you since they are not designed to stop viral particles.

Of course they protect. Like with every other measure no-one is saying it is complete protection, but it reduces the risk of transmission. In this case, the mask doesn't have to stop viral particles getting through, it just has to reduce the amount of saliva and mucus particles you expel into the air. This will reduce the potential exposue to the virus of everyone around you. Hopefully some people can use it as a memory aid to stop touching their faces as much. Sure there are people out there that will keep moving them to itch or talk or put lipstick on or whatever, but they'd be doing that anyway. Everyone that doesn't do that because they have a mask on is a benefit.

Like washing your hands. Is it perfect? Of course not. Sooner or later you will touch your face after touching a public surface, or touch a surface after touching your face. However if you are diligent about washing your hands as much as possible you will greatly reduce those potential transmissions. If everyone does it Covid won't be stopped dead, but it will be significantly slowed. 

Like staying 2 meters away from people. Will it definitely stop you being infected or infecting someone via airborne particles? No, but it will reduce the likelihood that it happens. If everyone stays 2 meters away from people from other households Covid won't be stopped dead, but it will be significantly slowed vs going around shaking hands, hugging or kissing the cheeks of everyone you meet with.

• Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

Of course they protect. Like with every other measure no-one is saying it is complete protection, but it reduces the risk of transmission. In this case, the mask doesn't have to stop viral particles getting through, it just has to reduce the amount of saliva and mucus particles you expel into the air. This will reduce the potential exposue to the virus of everyone around you. Hopefully some people can use it as a memory aid to stop touching their faces as much. Sure there are people out there that will keep moving them to itch or talk or put lipstick on or whatever, but they'd be doing that anyway. Everyone that doesn't do that because they have a mask on is a benefit.

Like washing your hands. Is it perfect? Of course not. Sooner or later you will touch your face after touching a public surface, or touch a surface after touching your face. However if you are diligent about washing your hands as much as possible you will greatly reduce those potential transmissions. If everyone does it Covid won't be stopped dead, but it will be significantly slowed. 

Like staying 2 meters away from people. Will it definitely stop you being infected or infecting someone via airborne particles? No, but it will reduce the likelihood that it happens. If everyone stays 2 meters away from people from other households Covid won't be stopped dead, but it will be significantly slowed vs going around shaking hands, hugging or kissing the cheeks of everyone you meet with.

That's it, by golly. Everyone, do your part to bring this nightmare to an end. Get out there and kiss a Republican.

Edited by JoeWeber

2 hours ago, Baksteen said:

I really don't understand this. What are they thinking?

Most facemasks don't do anything to protect you since they are not designed to stop viral particles.
Even the 'correct' masks offer only very limited (if any) protection if improperly used, especially if not combined with safety glasses and other protective clothing.
Maybe, just maybe there is limited protection of others directly in front of you if you sneeze in your mask, but even then a lot of air gets out around the edges of the mask.

And don't even get me started on people removing their masks to scratch their nose, talk to other people FTF or no the phone.....

IMO every mouthmask worn by an untrained member of the public is witholding one from a professional in a high risk job who needs it a lot more.

"For health care workers in contact with coronavirus patients, the CDC recommends a more specialized type of mask — one that is individually fitted to a person's face to create a seal and that filters out 95 percent of particles that at least 0.3 microns in diameters. (A micron is 1/1,000th of a millimeter.) This type of mask is called N95."

Dust Mask and Filter Cartridge Ratings

"SARS-CoV-2 grows in type II lung cells, which secrete a soap-like substance that helps air slip deep into the lungs, and in cells lining the throat. As with SARS, most of the damage in COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, is caused by the immune system carrying out a scorched earth defense to stop the virus from spreading."

Some disturbing news yesterday from my buddy whose daughter is a teacher's aide and her husband works in a Medicaid clinic somewhere in Washington state. I believe they are liberal Democrats out there.

The point, neither institution took any precautions at the start of the pandemic. The wife was the first to become infected. Now her husband and their two children are infected. They are self-quarantined of course.

But, here is the rub. The school wants the wife to come in to work since the school is closed and the teachers are at home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The reason for masks in public is to protect other people around you. Each person who's contagious and doesn't know it that's wearing a mask is containing most (though not all) of what they spread. No, it's not perfect, but sometimes it's better than nothing.

Wendy P.

Thing is though, that if everyone is going to use mouth masks the demand for them is going to increase by hundreds of millions of pieces PER DAY, on top of the already increased demand. How are we going to meet this even greater extra demand if already people are being called upon to volunteer with sewing mouth masks?

What are the consequences if we don't meet this demand?

Again, I hate to see perfectly good mouthmasks being squandered through imperfect and/or improper usage if that same mouth mask could at some point be used for what it was originally intended.
Whether that is protecting a carpenter from dust in their lungs when sanding a table or protecting a healthcare worker while doing their job makes no difference.

Most people I see wearing mouth masks (thankfully few people over here) are wearing the type of mask that dentists and surgeons use. Never mind that this type of mask is useless against viruses, I can see from ten metres away that the masks are being improperly worn: straps not tightened enough, nose clamp not being used... If that person sneezes the effect is akin to me being at the shooting range: the least dangerous place is directly in front of me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Some disturbing news yesterday from my buddy whose daughter is a teacher's aide and her husband works in a Medicaid clinic somewhere in Washington state. I believe they are liberal Democrats out there.

The point, neither institution took any precautions at the start of the pandemic. The wife was the first to become infected. Now her husband and their two children are infected. They are self-quarantined of course.

But, here is the rub. The school wants the wife to come in to work since the school is closed and the teachers are at home.

Sounds like chinese whispers. If the school is closed why do they want a TA to come to work? 

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

The school wants the wife to come in to work since the school is closed and the teachers are at home.

And that is a fine republican stance. A contract is a contract after all. You aren't going all liberal democrat on us are you?

2 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Thing is though, that if everyone is going to use mouth masks the demand for them is going to increase by hundreds of millions of pieces PER DAY, on top of the already increased demand. How are we going to meet this even greater extra demand if already people are being called upon to volunteer with sewing mouth masks?

... .. .

I think you are seriously missing the point.

14 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

I'll tell my friend that you believe he is lying about his daughter.

First off, if they are Liberal Democrats who can even guess what they are confused about.

That out of the way, let's start with the school. Is it a public school? Is she actually a Teachers Aide or is that what they like to think she is?

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Sounds like chinese whispers. If the school is closed why do they want a TA to come to work? 

I have a feeling he heard something different, then his non-linear liberal-hating filter kicked in and modified the story slightly so it became "liberal democrats want her to work and die."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billvon said:

I have a feeling he heard something different, then his non-linear liberal-hating filter kicked in and modified the story slightly so it became "liberal democrats want her to work and die."

Possibly not. The TA and her husband who works in a Medicaid Clinic ( Nothing on Google so I'm guessing that's where you go to learn how to cheat Medicaid) are the Liberals in this sad situation. So it's more likely that they want to go to work and die to blame Trump.

14 minutes ago, billvon said:

I think she and her husband support President Trump.

Jakee: TAs prepare lesson plans and the class rooms for the teachers.

2 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Maybe you should ask your god instead of an internet forum? You claim to speak to each other all the time, and I'm sure he has the answers you seek. You're clearly not getting that here.

2 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Makes sense.  She will therefore interpret anything that happens to her in a way to support Trump and blame Democrats, just as you do.

And so she is preparing . . . empty classrooms where no students or teachers are?

33 minutes ago, billvon said:

Makes sense.  She will therefore interpret anything that happens to her in a way to support Trump and blame Democrats, just as you do.

And so she is preparing . . . empty classrooms where no students or teachers are?

Not really, she refused to leave home.

35 minutes ago, normiss said:

Maybe you should ask your god instead of an internet forum? You claim to speak to each other all the time, and I'm sure he has the answers you seek. You're clearly not getting that here.

I didn't ask a question. I reported and incident the same as the one regarding Senator Rand Paul.

40 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Not really, she refused to leave home.

Here at our school, all the teachers and students are working from home.  One person (usually the principal, sometimes an aide) goes in somewhat regularly to get materials and check the facilities.  Since they are there alone it's not much of a contagion risk.  They both have a sense of responsibility both for the school and the students who depend on them.

4 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

The classrooms which don't need to be prepared right now because the teachers aren't using them. So why does she need to be there?