5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 minute ago, nigel99 said:

I’ve got a friend who really likes Trump, who posted a long ‘factual’ post about how Coronavirus is a Coup by the left to overthrow existing governments.

Let's hope he's not buying guns and posters of Fauci.

6 hours ago, kallend said:

Just heard that my son (45) has it and is in ICU on ventilator in Arkansas,

I won't be on here for a while.

My son, who is an MD in Ireland , has also tested positive. He is only 29  and very fit , so hopefully he should recover quickly.

The Revolving Door Of WH C-19 Leadership

He solved middle east peace  and now has moved onto killing Americans through incompetence.  " Kushner decided that Cuomo was being alarmist. “I have all this data about I.C.U. capacity,” Kushner reportedly said. “I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn’t need all the ventilators.”

So now Kushner is going to be allocating ventilators, safety equipment and deciding when the US can go back to work. His medical and statistical analysis experience as a slumlord.  Allowed him to determine that C-19 was all fake news.

(edited)
14 hours ago, kallend said:

My thoughts are with you and your son, take care, be safe and attend to the important things.

Edited by brenthutch

14 hours ago, kallend said:

Best of luck and medicine.  We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts.

6 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Are the reported rates accurate when such a small community has family affected?

Not suggesting a coverup, just wondering

I wish I remembered more about probability theory, so I'd know how to create the actual formula, but my guess is that this is not unlikely at all.:

• You currently have a base probability of about 0.08% of anyone being part of the group of confirmed infections (total US infections/total US population)--let's call it i/p
  • Then you have the group of active members in this community: m
  • Then you have the average group-size of family/close friends of each active member (maybe 20-30?): f
  • So the sample size is f*m (maybe 1000-2000?) This is extremely small as a percentage of p BUT the likelihood of at least 1 member of (f*m) to also be a member of i is probably not that small

But of course, the infection rate MUST BE much higher than the reported cases, simply because the percentage of how many people are tested, is so low. If testing was random, you'd have to assume that the true rate of infection (I) is: (i/t) * p  where "t"=number of tested individuals. That would come out to a HUGE number. Of course it is to be assumed that it isn't quite as high, because we are mostly testing individuals, who we think have a high likelihood of being infected, but STILL: Of course, the real rate of infection is much higher than what's being reported as confirmed cases.

Anyway: kallend, I hope your son recovers and everything will be well.

OMG someone put JARED KUSHNER in charge of something pertaining to Coronavirus?  What, is 6000 dead not enough?

And he said this with no sense of irony at all while trying to attack Democrats:

"What a lot of the voters are seeing now is that when you elect somebody to be a mayor or governor or president, you're trying to think about who will be a competent manager during the time of crisis.  This is a time of crisis, and you're seeing certain people are better managers than others."

25 minutes ago, billvon said:

OMG someone put JARED KUSHNER in charge of something pertaining to Coronavirus?  What, is 6000 dead not enough?

And he said this with no sense of irony at all while trying to attack Democrats:

"What a lot of the voters are seeing now is that when you elect somebody to be a mayor or governor or president, you're trying to think about who will be a competent manager during the time of crisis.  This is a time of crisis, and you're seeing certain people are better managers than others."

Between that and "I take no responsibility" the trump clan is handing out gold to Democrats.

CDC: People should now wear some form of face mask in public.

Trump. Oh don't worry, that's totally voluntary, you don't have to. I won't!

White House: Everyone who meets Trump will be tested first.

What a great example for Trump to set for ordinary people - no need to worry about wearing a mask, just make sure every person you have contact with has tested negative for Coronavirus, simple! That's right up there with Boris "Of course I'll keep shaking hands... Oh bugger I've got Covid-19" Johnson for useful advice.

(edited)
19 hours ago, billvon said:

OMG someone put JARED KUSHNER in charge of something

"I know a lot more about it than I did a few days ago." Which means that you don't know shit from a good grade of peanut butter about it today.

When Mr. Fugate says:

“You know last time I checked, he’s never run disasters,” said Craig Fugate, who ran FEMA during the Obama administration.

Fugate said the federal government can’t base decisions on request. The coronavirus is moving so fast states can’t keep up.

“My experience in disasters is the burn rate is always greater than what anybody anticipates,” he said. “And if we had waited for states to identify their needs, we were always behind and not there fast enough.”

~https://getaka.co.in/usa-news/jared-kushners-role-in-coronavirus-response-draws-scrutiny-criticism/

We may disagree on a lot of things on here, but not this. I have stood on the front lines of some of our nations largest disasters with Charles Hagan III & Mr. Craig Fugate. Mr. Fugate is one of the most apolitical people you could ever meet - whose sole interest is the job of disaster response. There are no men that everyone in disaster response respect more the Craig and Chuck. 

Craig & Chuck have worked for and with both sides of the political aisle. 

Edited by BIGUN
Not enough coffee

(edited)
5 hours ago, jakee said:

CDC: People should now wear some form of face mask in public.

Trump. Oh don't worry, that's totally voluntary, you don't have to. I won't!

White House: Everyone who meets Trump will be tested first.

What a great example for Trump to set for ordinary people - no need to worry about wearing a mask, just make sure every person you have contact with has tested negative for Coronavirus, simple! That's right up there with Boris "Of course I'll keep shaking hands... Oh bugger I've got Covid-19" Johnson for useful advice.

For trump anything. Reminds one of the generals dining on fine wine and caviar while their troops starved.

Great example for sure.

Edited by Phil1111

1 minute ago, kallend said:

I don't like BoJo much, but unlike Trump who IS a buffoon, BoJo just plays one on TV.

I know it is largely an act, but still he seems completely oblivious to the economic benefits of being in the EU.