5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

Well, for at least one study, chloroquine was NOT game-changing at all: http://subject.med.wanfangdata.com.cn/UpLoad/Files/202003/43f8625d4dc74e42bbcf24795de1c77c.pdf

TL;DR: 1 group was given 400mg chloroquine per day, control group no chloroquine. Of the chloroquine group, 13.3% proceeded to test positive for covid-19, one case developing into a serious case.

Of the control group, 6.7% of the group went on to test positive for covid-19. No cases were serious.

More studies are probably needed, but this seems to be a bit of a setback.

17 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And helmets, in most states. In both cases, the protection is for everyone else’s sake. At least in Texas, at one time you could bypass it with a $10,000 bond, to cover ER expenses. But the , of course Obamacare happened, and so Texas removed the minimum, to make it clear that any insurance (not just 1990-adequate) was just fine. 

Wendy P. 

I got stopped for speeding a few years ago on one of my bikes, while not wearing a helmet.

Cop asks for license, registration, insurance card. Here's my license and registration, and insurance is not required on motorcycles in FL. "SINCE WHEN???" Officer Friendly asks. Since forever. Although since you stopped me while riding without a helmet, here is my medical insurance card.

He stared blankly at me for a few seconds, then handed me back my papers and told me to have a nice day.

1 hour ago, aonsquared said:

Well, for at least one study, chloroquine was NOT game-changing at all: http://subject.med.wanfangdata.com.cn/UpLoad/Files/202003/43f8625d4dc74e42bbcf24795de1c77c.pdf

TL;DR: 1 group was given 400mg chloroquine per day, control group no chloroquine. Of the chloroquine group, 13.3% proceeded to test positive for covid-19, one case developing into a serious case.

Of the control group, 6.7% of the group went on to test positive for covid-19. No cases were serious.

More studies are probably needed, but this seems to be a bit of a setback.

A setback? I was under the impression most docs and scientists expected it. It was repeatedly stated they felt the drugs were safe, just not effective for covid-19.

3 minutes ago, normiss said:

A setback? I was under the impression most docs and scientists expected it. It was repeatedly stated they felt the drugs were safe, just not effective for covid-19.

If the Liar-in-Chief starts a run on finite supplies with his unproven claim, then people who really need it are screwed.

(edited)
2 hours ago, aonsquared said:

Well, for at least one study, chloroquine was NOT game-changing at all

Except that most of the Doctors & Scientists who reviewed that 30 person study found it to be unreliable and not definitive. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

Edited by BIGUN

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

If the Liar-in-Chief starts a run on finite supplies with his unproven claim, then people who really need it are screwed.

If it's a lie and "unproven" - why would those who "really need it" even take it?

Edited by BIGUN

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

If it's a lie and "unproven" - why would those who "really need it" even take it?

Because it is a proven treatment for other things.

If the dipshits who believe the Mango Mussolini go out and buy it all up to treat a condition that it doesn't help (or at least isn't proven to help), then those who suffer from those other conditions will be hurt.

17 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Maybe because it works for the diseases they have, like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and malaria - none of which are caused by viruses.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

?? It's a malaria treatment and is also used for lupus.  It just doesn't work for coronavirus.  The lie is "it's not going to kill anybody...It's shown very, very encouraging early results, and we're going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately . .  . we have millions of units ordered."

Not sure if this should go in the Deplorables thread or here.  Reporters found a memo by Hobby Lobby asking their managers to 'make every effort to continue working the employees' - and to deny them paid sick leave.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hobby-lobby-told-managers-denied-employees-paid-sick-leave-memo-2020-3?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark&fbclid=IwAR0USOqDAKVutD2VOPuP3zeQZ6HA8M0_KnqMqHY8e-Ijdcecv3PEh7qp3YQ

Between this and "packing the churches" with people - Trump isn't being too good to his base.  I'd hate to see this become Darwinian, but with Trump supporters claiming that the COVID-19 "hysteria" is all part of a big hoax - it may turn out that way.

Just now, billvon said:

Not sure if this should go in the Deplorables thread or here.  Reporters found a memo by Hobby Lobby asking their managers to 'make every effort to continue working the employees' - and to deny them paid sick leave.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hobby-lobby-told-managers-denied-employees-paid-sick-leave-memo-2020-3?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark&fbclid=IwAR0USOqDAKVutD2VOPuP3zeQZ6HA8M0_KnqMqHY8e-Ijdcecv3PEh7qp3YQ

Between this and "packing the churches" with people - Trump isn't being too good to his base.  I'd hate to see this become Darwinian, but with Trump supporters claiming that the COVID-19 "hysteria" is all part of a big hoax - it may turn out that way.

I'm finding out that I'm not quite as nice of a person as I'd like to think.

I'm perfectly fine with those idiot preachers calling their congregations in to mass.

If those fools think that "Jesus will protect them" or 'the whole thing is a hoax', great.
Let them infect each other, get lots of people sick all at once, overwhelm the health care system and die. 

The downside is that many of those morons are rich and influential enough that they will get care, displacing poor and minority patients who didn't do stupid shit like gather in large groups.

• Like 1

A chemistry professor explains: why soap is so good at killing COVID-19

Traces of the novel coronavirus were found in the cabins on the Diamond Princess cruise ship up to 17 days after passengers left, a study published by the CDC Monday found.

46.5% of cases from the Diamond Princess were asymptomatic when tested, which could "partially explain the high attack rate among cruise ship passengers and crew," the CDC said. The virus infected 712 of the 3,711 people aboard the ship — 19.2% of those on board.

Perhaps it time to toss out the baby pacifiers aka the IR thermometers if so many carriers can be asymptomatic.

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

"We're Christians, and we run our business on Christian principles." David Green, founder and owner of Hobby Lobby.

(edited)
39 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm perfectly fine with those idiot preachers calling their congregations in to mass.

If those fools think that "Jesus will protect them" or 'the whole thing is a hoax', great.
Let them infect each other, get lots of people sick all at once, overwhelm the health care system and die. 

The downside is that many of those morons are rich and influential enough that they will get care, displacing poor and minority patients who didn't do stupid shit like gather in large groups.

I agree with the exception that a good beating should be thrown in for someone so stupid. Such stupidity should not displace other intelligent persons in need of treatment.

Perhaps a study needs to be done to determine a link between a belief in "god(s)" and Stup*#y? But thats another thread.

With two beatings for "Gov. Tate Reeves signed an executive order early this evening superseding a patchwork of local bans on public gatherings in Mississippi and other heightened restrictions that several municipalities across the state have ordered or considered in the wake of COVID-19’s spread inside Mississippi. The state reached 320 official cases today, up 300 percent since 80 known cases on Friday.

#The order seems to declare that most types of businesses in Mississippi are "essential" and thus exempt from social-distancing requirements "

He is a republican of course.

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Except that most of the Doctors & Scientists who reviewed that 30 person study found it to be unreliable and not definitive. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

I couldn't find the reviews you're talking about, could you post a link? There was not much about it in the CDC page you posted.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

If they never infected rational people, and stayed home and prayed instead of seeking medical help, it could work.

Edited by ryoder

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

You're a swell guy in my book. But won't it be an interesting thing to see how the infection and rates tabulate demographically when this is over? If the Trumpettes and Christians come out ahead Coreece will have a field day with us.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

You're a swell guy in my book. But won't it be an interesting thing to see how the infection and rates tabulate demographically when this is over? If the Trumpettes and Christians come out ahead Coreece will have a field day with us.

Great...now you got him thinking he's swell.