5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 hour ago, bigbearfng said:

Take out the drunk driving analogy-it's illegal....

Then yes we all have our own acceptable levels of risk. Just being alive has risks.

Well, right now it's illegal in 17 states to be out in public.

And the drunk driving analogy is pretty apt.

If you want to jump without an AAD, RSL or reserve, ride a cycle without a helmet or whatever, go for it.

The only person it puts at risk is you.

However, the reason drunk driving is illegal and the reason for the 'shelter in place' orders is because taking those risks doesn't affect just you. It puts the entire community at risk. 

If you go out and get infected, you will get sick. But before you show symptoms, you will infect others. (current estimate is 4 days before symptoms show up). 

If you want to put yourself at risk, go for it. Totally your choice.

But when your 'acceptable risk' puts other people at risk, then it changes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, normiss said:

I know a lot of us that feel if the helmet is the only thing that saves me, odds are I don't want to survive the end result.

I like skydiving without a helmet sometimes too.

It just feels better.

I do like reserves, I won't BASE jump, and I've worn seat belts forever.

Normals think skydivers are crazy.

Skydivers think basejumpers are crazy.

The freedom to choose is the freedom to decide your acceptable risk factor.

Well, unless it's guns; then the liberals want to decide for everyone else. 

<sorry, had to do it. Well, I didn't have to, but I couldn't stop my fingers from typing it out. Evidently, I don't have a filter between my brain and fingers either.> Peace.  

(edited)

And helmets, in most states. In both cases, the protection is for everyone else’s sake. At least in Texas, at one time you could bypass it with a $10,000 bond, to cover ER expenses. But the , of course Obamacare happened, and so Texas removed the minimum, to make it clear that any insurance (not just 1990-adequate) was just fine. 

Wendy P. 

Edited by wmw999

7 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Normals think skydivers are crazy.

Skydivers think basejumpers are crazy.

The freedom to choose is the freedom to decide your acceptable risk factor.

Well, unless it's guns; then the liberals want to decide for everyone else. 

<sorry, had to do it. Well, I didn't have to, but I couldn't stop my fingers from typing it out. Evidently, I don't have a filter between my brain and fingers either.> Peace.  

Well, generally skydivers and BASE jumpers don't kill or injure others, the risk they assume is overwhelming to themselves.  Guns, OTOH. . . . .

16 minutes ago, kallend said:

Well, generally skydivers and BASE jumpers don't kill or injure others,

After Roger, what was your signature line for years again? 

Peace, Brother - even I didn't believe what I was writing, I just felt like giving my liberal friends some adrenaline to get thru the afternoon. :)   

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Well, generally skydivers and BASE jumpers don't kill or injure others, the risk they assume is overwhelming to themselves.  Guns, OTOH. . . . .

Generally you are right. But it is worth remembering that skydiving, and to a certain lesser extent base fatalities, aren't final events except for the deceased. When they happen co-participants in base often simply run for it. At the DZ most people pack up and go home for the day or go chill until operations resume. Some people, on the other hand, need to deal with it nasty or not. And trust me, none are thinking: "Oh, well, it's all about personal responsibility and he signed the waiver." There are no bastions of personal freedom anymore, skydiving in particular, and there are always down stream effects.

Smartest move by media that I've seen in a while.  Washington State Radio announced this today:

"We will not be airing the [White Houe} briefings live due to a pattern of false or misleading information provided that cannot be fact checked in real time."

If other stations follow suit, the amount of misinformation out there could go down quite a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Smartest move by media that I've seen in a while.  Washington State Radio announced this today:

"We will not be airing the [White Houe} briefings live due to a pattern of false or misleading information provided that cannot be fact checked in real time."

If other stations follow suit, the amount of misinformation out there could go down quite a bit.

Censorship

7 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

Censorship

You are still free to get instant misinformation from any other news channel out there, or wait for more accurate information from this one.  Your choice.  That's the opposite of censorship - choice.

21 minutes ago, billvon said:

You are still free to get instant misinformation from any other news channel out there, or wait for more accurate information from this one.  Your choice.  That's the opposite of censorship - choice.

I don't know of anything that can be "fact checked in real time". So with that logic there should be no live coverage of anything.

23 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

I don't know of anything that can be "fact checked in real time". So with that logic there should be no live coverage of anything.

Well, some administrations have been mostly factual and have not required such intensive fact checking.  But when a president tells, on average, 14 untruths a day, you have to be more careful.

But yes, often they don't do live coverage of speeches and conferences, and instead report on it later after they have been able to check some facts.  So nothing is really changing - just less live coverage of one politician with a history of extreme dishonesty.

(edited)
10 hours ago, billvon said:

often they don't do live coverage of speeches and conferences, and instead report on it later after they have been able to check some facts.

We remember a time when the President gave a speech from the oval office, let his press secretary handle the press and his communications director do their job - so he could do his.   

EDIT: Or a time when the media had no bias left or right. I blame Woodward & Bernstein for creating Rivera. :)   

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 1

(edited)

I've been monitoring this site for a little over a week now and when I zoom in; It would appear that roads and major highways cause coronavirus (just thought you might find it interesting how you can track it along the roads and then a large circle at the next large city). BTW, Dr. Gardner's team did re-write the code to add the missing states in the second tab on the bottom left. I don't know that I agree their removing the downward slope of China's recovery - I understand from a political perspective, but also think her team could have included every continent's down slope so world leaders would know when to give the "all clear." 

EDIT: And, so when we would know if they're yanking our chain. 

image.png.a17f022c763b076dae343c2be44a54f5.png

Edited by BIGUN

Let’s see what happens when simulitis spreads in a town of 200 people. We will start everyone in town at a random position, moving at a random angle, and we will make one person sick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?itid=hp_hp-bignews6_virus-resource-box-v3%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans