5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

51 minutes ago, airdvr said:

On an interesting note...one of the nurses where my wife works was stopped by a sheriff at 12:30 this morning on her way home.  I'm hoping they mean business here in Ohio and it looks like they just might.

Yes, well perhaps you recognize the new problem you have: lockdowns do not mean business.

Today - "I would love to have the country opened up, and rarin’ to go by Easter. . .Wouldn’t it be great to have all the churches full? You’ll have packed churches all over our country … I think it’ll be a beautiful time.”

Imagine what "packed churches" across the country will mean to the infection rate.  It would certainly be a beautiful time for COVID-19.

7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

John is making masks, others driving trucks for weeks on end without baths. I sure the hell wouldn't shower in a truck stop facility now!

I feel guilty that I bought extra hand sanitizer and TP.:`(   I'll have to open some scotch so I can feel better about myself.

Why not?

The showers are cleaned and sanitized after each use. They are actually very nice. 

Many places are not letting customers serve themselves. The store folks put on fresh gloves and pour your coffee and/or get the food for you. 
They have extra staff cleaning all over. 

I wasn't too concerned.

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

On an interesting note...one of the nurses where my wife works was stopped by a sheriff at 12:30 this morning on her way home.  I'm hoping they mean business here in Ohio and it looks like they just might.

One of the surgeons at my wife's hospital is on a ventilator.  In his 50s, not exactly a health nut but he works out and is not overweight.  My wife is very upset.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

EDIT: I have a hint for you on gloves. Don't buy the medical ones, the white or the blue ones that are in short supply anyway. Get the clear plastic ones that people wear when they serve you food. They are much easier to get on and off, and you can find them easier. (Washington State Food Handler's Card holder here...from when I had to throw a public banquet or two.) 

Fortunately, I have a few hundred pairs in boxes left over. Easy on, easy off, and they work. 

In fact, my preferred gloves (for greasy mechanical work) are the Harbor Freight vinyl ones. They cost less than nitrile or latex. They don't have the latex allergy issue. And most important for me: They are available in XL size to fit my hands.

BTW I just noticed today that the postal carrier was wearing nitrile gloves when she delivered my mail.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Yeah, that's what I use. The clear vinyl gloves. Pretty sturdy, don't rip easy when you work on your truck, easy to get on and off. 

I was worried enough about this virus last week. But I was cooling off because some doctors were saying they didn't think it could live long outside a human host. Not like the flu, they said.

Now we find out that isn't true at all, and to a degree it is airborne as well. I've been looking at some cheap property, nice mountain views and all. 
cheapProperty.jpg.0db976e86d66e0cc383663ea6c267a65.jpg

bubbleboy.jpg

7 hours ago, bigbearfng said:

I ride motorcycles. I skydive. I breath and live. I wear a helmet. I have a reserve parachute in my rig. I wash my hands a lot, don't touch my face after handling public carts etc. I'm not going to live in a bubble....

But do try not to fuck over the people who do have to live in a bubble, but who still need to get food as well.

Wendy P.

9 hours ago, bigbearfng said:

I ride motorcycles. I skydive. I breath and live. I wear a helmet. I have a reserve parachute in my rig. I wash my hands a lot, don't touch my face after handling public carts etc. I'm not going to live in a bubble....

bubbleboy.jpg

And if there were no motorcycle helmets would you recognize the need and, in the name of your personal safety, build one like we used to build our own video helmets? Would you be on the jumping sidelines until the reserve parachute was invented. You aren't doing anything inherently smart or independent minded by wearing a motorcycle helmet or jumping with a reserve. Those are things you must do or not participate. The reality is that those two things don't even scratch the surface of the interconnected web of lessons learned and regulations and protections adopted that make bike riding and jumping somewhat safe to do. So it's really nothing to point out as an example of anything. All of us here, with the possible exception of the incredibly aged like Kallend, got on the societal safety train long after it left the station and like it or not, unless you want to go live alone in the woods, you're in the bubble with the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

And if there were no motorcycle helmets would you recognize the need and, in the name of your personal safety, build one like we used to build our own video helmets? Would you be on the jumping sidelines until the reserve parachute was invented. You aren't doing anything inherently smart or independent minded by wearing a motorcycle helmet or jumping with a reserve. Those are things you must do or not participate. The reality is that those two things don't even scratch the surface of the interconnected web of lessons learned and regulations and protections adopted that make bike riding and jumping somewhat safe to do. So it's really nothing to point out as an example of anything. All of us here, with the possible exception of the incredibly aged like Kallend, got on the societal safety train long after it left the station and like it or not, unless you want to go live alone in the woods, you're in the bubble with the rest of us. 

Not actually accurate regarding motorcycle helmets.

A number of states do not require them, or have different requirements on who must wear them.

I chose not to on cruisers, always have on crotch rockets though. IMO it should be a choice.

I know a lot of us that feel if the helmet is the only thing that saves me, odds are I don't want to survive the end result.

I like skydiving without a helmet sometimes too.

It just feels better.

I do like reserves, I won't BASE jump, and I've worn seat belts forever.

21 minutes ago, normiss said:

Not actually accurate regarding motorcycle helmets.

A number of states do not require them, or have different requirements on who must wear them.

I chose not to on cruisers, always have on crotch rockets though. IMO it should be a choice.

I know a lot of us that feel if the helmet is the only thing that saves me, odds are I don't want to survive the end result.

I like skydiving without a helmet sometimes too.

It just feels better.

I do like reserves, I won't BASE jump, and I've worn seat belts forever.

The gentleman was pointing out that he chose to wear a helmet, ostensibly for safety reasons, as a personal choice. Like seatbelts, I wrongly believed that helmets were now a universal requirement for all ages. Not so, I now see, and I stand corrected. However, if the gentleman's home state is California, as his info suggests, then he is required by law to wear a helmet. To that extent my point is intact. 

I also don't want to survive certain things if that misfortune visits, but for the overwhelming most part I think I do. So it seems to me that wearing a helmet agrees with the odds. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kallend said:

One of the surgeons at my wife's hospital is on a ventilator.  In his 50s, not exactly a health nut but he works out and is not overweight.  My wife is very upset.

The next year is going to be a very stressful time for anyone in the health care system. Doctors, nurses, ward clerks and cleaning staff. They are working with insufficient equipment, in dangerous conditions and situations where patient care can't be met.

They are heroes.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Maybe the use of an AAD and RSL would have been a bit more to the point....Either way I think the point has been missed. I'm not going to run to a bunker/live in a bubble/go live as a hermit. And I feel that anyone that wants to do that-what on earth are you doing skydiving then?  Of course the exceptions are the immune comprimised/COPD/etc. And I would think those folk would be taking a break from skydiving anyway if they are that sick.

4 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

Of course the exceptions are the immune comprimised/COPD/etc. And I would think those folk would be taking a break from skydiving anyway if they are that sick.

Dude, I'm 65 years old. That makes me, by definition, immune compromised. Should I also give up skydiving? What should the age cutoff be?

Wendy P.

15 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

what on earth are you doing skydiving then? 

Well, you are exercising a privilege granted to you by whomever created and is responsible for the service. It's not a right. With that privilege comes many important responsibilities which includes looking out for the safety of others, not only yourself. Covid-19, the regular flu or just the clap you should be concerned with transmitting it to others. Simply managing not to hook it in on any given day isn't quite enough.

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Well, you are exercising a privilege granted to you by whomever created and is responsible for the service. It's not a right. With that privilege comes many important responsibilities which includes looking out for the safety of others, not only yourself. Covid-19, the regular flu or just the clap you should be concerned with transmitting it to others. Simply managing not to hook it in on any given day isn't quite enough.

Somehow I'll bet more clap has been transmitted at DZs than Covid-19 will ever be...:halo:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

Maybe the use of an AAD and RSL would have been a bit more to the point....Either way I think the point has been missed. I'm not going to run to a bunker/live in a bubble/go live as a hermit. And I feel that anyone that wants to do that-what on earth are you doing skydiving then?  Of course the exceptions are the immune comprimised/COPD/etc. And I would think those folk would be taking a break from skydiving anyway if they are that sick.

Used fake ID when you took your first jump course?

23 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

Are you on chemo? Do you get hypoxic on jump run? No? Then carry on!!!

What the actual fuck? 

What I'm saying is your mantra of "I've been taking risks all my life" is not unique, and it doesn't uniquely qualify you to judge for others. I know people who've been driving drunk all their lives, too, and haven't ever hurt anyone. Sometimes being smart isn't being a pussy.

I started jumping in 1975. I've never been injured skydiving, in part because I'm a pussy now (I PLF often when I land). But, ya know -- that means I've never been injured skydiving; kind of worth it in my book.

Wendy P.

15 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

What the actual fuck? 

What I'm saying is your mantra of "I've been taking risks all my life" is not unique, and it doesn't uniquely qualify you to judge for others. I know people who've been driving drunk all their lives, too, and haven't ever hurt anyone. Sometimes being smart isn't being a pussy.

I started jumping in 1975. I've never been injured skydiving, in part because I'm a pussy now (I PLF often when I land). But, ya know -- that means I've never been injured skydiving; kind of worth it in my book.

Wendy P.

Take out the drunk driving analogy-it's illegal....

Then yes we all have our own acceptable levels of risk. Just being alive has risks.

(edited)
24 minutes ago, bigbearfng said:

Take out the drunk driving analogy-it's illegal....

Then yes we all have our own acceptable levels of risk. Just being alive has risks.

It hasn't always been.

BUT - ok - replace that with, say, jumping through clouds - 

Oh - wait - that's illegal too.

OK - how about pencilling in your reserve repack - 

Damn - another illegal one.

Jaywalking?  Nope.

Umm - Smoking! or vaping - lets use those.

ETA - For reference - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-01-26-mn-13688-story.html

However - technically DRUNK driving was mentioned - so . . . yeah

Edited by turtlespeed