5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I have some fairly solid information on what the Dem proposal entails for stimulus payments that everyone has heard about.

It is almost a certainty that this version will be passed, and the payments will go out ASAP, especially to Social Security and SSI recipients. I will try to explain this as simply as I can.

• Anyone on Social Security or SSI will receive an additional $200 per month, and this will last until at least the end of 2021.
  • Families and individuals who filed a tax return last year and have at least $3,000 in qualifying income on that return will receive payments of $1,500 for individuals, $3,000 for couples filing jointly, and payments will go on until $7,500 (five months' worth) is reached per individual. I will assume this means $15,000 over a five month period for couples. You will also receive $500 per child. 
  • Anyone who filed a tax return with income above $95,000 a year will probably get nothing. 
  • I don't know if the child payment is one-time-only, or ALSO goes on for five months. There is no info on that. 
  • I don't know if SS and SSI recipients will receive stimulus checks. That is up in the air right now. But the fact a $200 raise for each SS and SSI recipient for at least 18 months adds up to about the same thing as the stimulus checks...I would NOT count on getting one. 
  • I do NOT know if poor people, or people who didn't file a return last year because they didn't make enough...will get anything directly. There has been some discussion on that but nothing concrete. The Feds may just issue funds to states to do as they wish to help these folks. One of the problems is that if you don't file a return, or you are not on SS or SSI...the Feds simply can't find you. 

I have been researching this issue for days on end. This is my best, and most current information. More will be known in the next day, two at most. 

EDIT: My best advice is this:  If you did not file a tax return last year, do so ASAP. Like yesterday.

The Feds have to be able to FIND you, to PAY you. 

Basing who gets relief for a current crisis preventing them from making money, based on income for 2018, is confusing.

5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Perhaps he didn't realize the tests the CDC designed didn't work, or that the FDA has a labrynth of rules that require emergency use approvals for the tests that did work.

Or perhaps that specific fact wasn't made clear to him that it would be a game changer.  Then he did what he has a track record of doing and he spoke before having all the facts and went off of what he wanted to be true.

2 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Or perhaps that specific fact wasn't made clear to him that it would be a game changer.  Then he did what he has a track record of doing and he spoke before having all the facts and went off of what he wanted to be true.

Agreed.  He tells people what they want to hear.  Probably would have made a better Senator.

12 hours ago, ryoder said:

But there is also the certification process for any medical equipment. I'm thinking Tesla may be acting as a subcontractor for an existing design for an existing mfgr with certification.

No. He didn't make them (yet). He bought them.

"China had an oversupply, so we bought 1255 FDA-approved ResMed, Philips & Medtronic ventilators on Friday night & airshipped them to LA," Musk said

(edited)
27 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Stupid people tend to believe Trump tells the truth.

The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy.

The name "chloroquine" resonated with the man's wife, who asked that her name not be used to protect the family's privacy. She'd used it previously to treat her koi fish.

"I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

The couple — both in their 60s and potentially at higher risk for complications of the virus — decided to mix a small amount of the substance with a liquid and drink it as a way to prevent the coronavirus.

"We were afraid of getting sick," she said.

Within 20 minutes, both became extremely ill, at first feeling "dizzy and hot."

"I started vomiting," the woman told NBC News. "My husband started developing respiratory problems and wanted to hold my hand."

She called 911. The emergency responders "were asking a lot of questions" about what they'd consumed. "I was having a hard time talking, falling down."

Shortly after he arrived at the hospital, her husband died.

Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

Edited by kallend

29 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Perhaps he didn't realize the tests the CDC designed didn't work, or that the FDA has a labrynth of rules that require emergency use approvals for the tests that did work.

Perhaps he should have found out BEFORE opening his mouth.  He has the best intelligence of anyone in the world available to him.

1 minute ago, kallend said:

Perhaps he should have found out BEFORE opening his mouth.  He has the best intelligence of anyone in the world available to him.

Which intelligence agency briefs him on the availability of test for Covid-19?

14 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Agreed.  He tells people what they want to hear.  Probably would have made a better Reporter.

Fixed it for you.

And yet the news was telling the truth about about this thing when Trump was still saying cases in the US would soon go from 16 to zero, and while Airdvr was still calling it a big nothingburger.

In comparison to the good work being done out there, Trump would have made a fucking awful reporter.

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Maybe he neglected to show some actual leadership when he was first made aware of the virus and the dangers of it back in January. We would be almost 2 months ahead of the point we are at now.

He's now in the process of removing the people that understand what's actually happening in favor of his own ignorance.

This is going to get uglier than people can imagine in the next month.

Just now, normiss said:

For most workers, living paycheck to paycheck, what they earned last year has little bearing on the current total lack of income.

The crisis is NOW, not last year.

I believe they will be basing it off of the tax returns.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I notice how you avoided answering the question.

What question? What value does a pedantic (and not even correct) jab about intelligence being a thing that must come from intelligence agencies add to the discussion? Do you really need an answer from someone here in order to realise that there will have been some branch of the CDC or NSC able to brief the President on the availability of tests before he went on TV to talk about the availability of tests? 

I mean honestly, it was pointless asking the question in the first place, it's downright juvenile to keep pushing the issue. Seriously, what the actual fuck are you hoping to accomplish here?

Edited by jakee

Well...perhaps the CDC told him they could make the test kits prior to them telling him the test kits didn't work.  There are any number of possibilities not the least of which is he thought they were available.

Your rampant TDS allows no possibility other than it was a blatant lie.

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Well...perhaps the CDC told him they could make the test kits prior to them telling him the test kits didn't work.  There are any number of possibilities not the least of which is he thought they were available.

Your rampant TDS allows no possibility other than it was a blatant lie.

Sigh. So why did Mike Pence say the day before that testing capacity was insufficient? Why were other state governors and officials already complaining that they didn't have sufficient tests or facilities to keep up? Why did other administration officials start walking back Trump's briefing promise that same day?

The chances that he was the one single guy in the administration with access to the press who didn't get given the right information is...?