5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 minute ago, DJL said:

My question is, why are we even talking about this.  We have a Corona Tzar and Program director that should be able to very clearly tell us the roll-out and process instead of having to listen to Trump get defensive every time he opens his mouth.

Tisk, tisk its morning and clearly the electrons are only going single phase!

trump has after 31/2 years,has surrounded himself with people that only move when he tells them to move. Lest they upstage him. Imagine a minion...er..."Tzar" that got credit for doing something necessary and media-worthy. Their heads would roll in a day.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

Tisk, tisk its morning and clearly the electrons are only going single phase!

trump has after 31/2 years,has surrounded himself with people that only move when he tells them to move. Lest they upstage him. Imagine a minion...er..."Tzar" that got credit for doing something necessary and media-worthy. Their heads would roll in a day.

There's no way Trump was going to do anything but insert himself into the center of the lights and cameras.  I don't thing he lasted a day beyond appointing his "Tzar" and the response team before they were forgotten and he was back up there dictating the response, simultaneously accepting no blame and basically confusing everyone.  He's like a moth to fire, a cat to a rolling ball of string. 

33 minutes ago, kallend said:

On Thursday, Trump said that two existing drugs may be effective remedies and that the Food and Drug Administration is fast-tracking them to market. 

The head of the FDA said neither is a proven treatment for COVID-19 and neither is likely to be publicly available in the near future.

Whom to believe?

Have you seen this?

https://www.covidtrial.io/

(edited)
29 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Have you seen this?

https://www.covidtrial.io/

16 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

And neither one of those stories conflict with this: (From John)

The head of the FDA said neither is a proven treatment for COVID-19 and neither is likely to be publicly available in the near future.

Yes there is research, yes there may be a drug in the future, no, there will not be a drug available soon.

Edited by gowlerk

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The FDA has been working closely with other government agencies and academic centers that are investigating the use of the drug chloroquine, which is already approved for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, to determine whether it can be used to treat patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 to potentially reduce the duration of symptoms, as well as viral shedding, which can help prevent the spread of disease. Studies are underway to determine the efficacy in using chloroquine to treat COVID-19. “President Trump’s aggressive response and bold actions to keep Americans safe from COVID-19 bought us precious time to advance therapeutics and other necessary tools,” said HHS Secretary Alex Azar.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-continues-facilitate-development-treatments

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

The FDA has been working closely with other government agencies and academic centers that are investigating the use of the drug chloroquine, which is already approved for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, to determine whether it can be used to treat patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 to potentially reduce the duration of symptoms, as well as viral shedding, which can help prevent the spread of disease. Studies are underway to determine the efficacy in using chloroquine to treat COVID-19. “President Trump’s aggressive response and bold actions to keep Americans safe from COVID-19 bought us precious time to advance therapeutics and other necessary tools,” said HHS Secretary Alex Azar.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-continues-facilitate-development-treatments

So, you really believe that it is significant that one of Trump's sycophants has found a way to praise him and "aggressive response"? And you choose to dis-believe the FDA head who has been shown to be much more objective? You may be choosing based on your political leanings. It seems like the only logical explanation to me. In spite of what Trump said, the FDA is not " is fast-tracking them to market". This is just another of his lies. Like every second thing out of his mouth. Chloroquine is already an approved drug, and it needs no FDA approval. Any Dr. can prescribe it for off label use.  Again:

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

“President Trump’s aggressive response and bold actions

Doesn't seem bold nor aggressive to me:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-statements-about-the-coronavirus/

Now I really hope a treatment or a vaccine is developed ASAP. I think everyone agrees that governments should help the scientists as much as possible, and when it's finally developed, use all government resources available to deploy it as widely as they can. (good luck saying the same about fighting AGW though...)

There are some things you can't rush though - 9 pregnant women can't make a baby in 1 month and all.

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Except, that's not what he said . . . 

Stepping to the podium after Trump spoke, the FDA commissioner, Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, praised the president for removing regulations that would otherwise slow the approval of the drug for expanded use, but said tests were continuing in the U.S.

“What’s also important is not to provide false hope,” Hahn said. “We may have the right drug, but it might not be in the appropriate dosage form right now, and it might do more harm than good.”"

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-19/trump-touts-unproven-coronavirus-remedies

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

And you choose to dis-believe the FDA head who has been shown to be much more objective? You may be choosing based on your political leanings.

I choose to believe what he actually said. Not what someone said he said.

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I choose to believe what he actually said. Not what someone said he said.

The FDA commissioner, Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, made clear the drugs would not be publicly available in the near term. He said trials are necessary to determine if they provide effective treatment against the coronavirus and in what dosage.

Hahn, who appeared with Trump in the White House briefing room, said he didn’t want to give Americans “false hope” about an immediate panacea.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The FDA commissioner, Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, made clear the drugs would not be publicly available in the near term.

AGAIN - that's not what he said. I just quoted the whole damn paragraph and used a liberal rag as the source citation. 

41 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

So, you really believe that it is significant that one of Trump's sycophants has found a way to praise him and "aggressive response"? And you choose to dis-believe the FDA head who has been shown to be much more objective?...

The entire discussion about this point is a perfect example about why trump lies so much. Why FOX can echo the lies to effect.

Once you understand how the tactics work on the mind. You can dispense with "experts".

(edited)
28 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The entire discussion about this point is a perfect example about why trump lies so much. Why FOX can echo the lies to effect.

Once you understand how the tactics work on the mind. You can dispense with "experts".

A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.

ETA ASeems like it would be worth trying.  I don't know if either of those drugs are dangerous but HCQ has been around since 1955.

Edited by airdvr

24 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

What I just posted is from the same liberal rag, The LA Times. Probably the same story.

Don't you get it - As long as they can condemn Trump - they are happy as a camel on Wednesday.

Already in uses other than Covid - 19   https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5482/hydroxychloroquine-oral/details

Just need to figure out the dosage.

That doesn't fit with Trump Bashing - so - it will be resisted.

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Except, that's not what he said . . . 

Stepping to the podium after Trump spoke, the FDA commissioner, Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, praised the president for removing regulations that would otherwise slow the approval of the drug for expanded use, but said tests were continuing in the U.S.

“What’s also important is not to provide false hope,” Hahn said. “We may have the right drug, but it might not be in the appropriate dosage form right now, and it might do more harm than good.”"

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-19/trump-touts-unproven-coronavirus-remedies

Yep.  It is important to not provide false hope - by saying things like "it's been approved" and will be available "almost immediately."  In fact, that would be a lie.

15 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Don't you get it - As long as they can condemn Trump - they are happy as a camel on Wednesday.

Already in uses other than Covid - 19   https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5482/hydroxychloroquine-oral/details

?? It's a malaria drug.  You didn't know that?  And you've been going on about it for two pages?  My god.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.

ETA ASeems like it would be worth trying.  I don't know if either of those drugs are dangerous but HCQ has been around since 1955.

Sometimes I get sucked in. Thanks for wasting 20 minutes.

Page 7 "All patients in Marseille center were proposed oral hydroxychloroquine sulfate 200 mg, three times per day during ten days (in this preliminary phase ,we did not enrolled children in the treatment group based in data indicating that children develop mild symptoms of COVID-19...

Page 13 "The cause of failure for hydroxychloroquine treatment should be investigated by testing the isolated SARS-CoV-2 strains of the non-respondents and analyzing their genome, and by analyzing the host factors that may be associated with the metabolism of hydroxychloroquine."

Time out while I go bang my head into the closest door frame ten times.