5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

8 hours ago, billvon said:

I've made a lot.  I admit them, learn from them and move on.

Something Trump will never, ever do.  Which, when we are facing a pandemic and he's made a boatload of mistakes so far, is pretty terrifying if you're an elderly man or woman wondering what's going to happen next.

I am not scared.

20 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

I am not scared.

Of course not. If we libtards all do the Corona Croak, you win. If you fill up with fluid and sink you get to go home so you also win. Me? I'm scared. Not for myself or T we're, for the most part, comfortably self isolated. But I'm damn scared for my staff, up jumpers, my nieces, nephews and their kids and each and every one of our friends who can not do much more than hope right now. Not to be morbid but I do not want to add this virus to the list of things that has taken away someone I care for. Maybe you should be scared.

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

Or just block him like I did.

IMO he offers nothing to this forum.

Jerry Baumchen

If only real life was this way.  You'd be able to blindly roll along without any information counter to what you believe.

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If you've learned anything from this episode I hope you see how ill prepared any government is to protect you.

Well we were working towards that with a very qualified staff, who were summarily dismissed by someone with less than zero qualifications for anything in such a major leadership role.

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If you've learned anything from this episode I hope you see how ill prepared any government is to protect you.

IMO the Moon Government of S. Korea did a very good job. There is not allot of information on the S. Korea response. But after the virus was spread by a church group. They initiated a all out attack. Massive testing, appropriate quarantines when necessary. They started way behind the curve but sure ramped up quickly.

The US has some natural advantages in the current war. Oceans on two sides with limited number of infections on both other land borders. CDC, a great resource. The 8-10th ranked medical system in the world, skilled armed forces.

trump has yet to apply himself. Trump Is Hurting the Economy by Linking Coronavirus to Immigration     Its as if serious national issues are but one more chance to turn it into political football.

(edited)
3 hours ago, kallend said:

This is an entertaining video on the subject of hypocrisy.

The largest reason why I get so riled up about trump is how dangerous this type of sh*t is. Most people don't follow national issues or political issues closely. Lying about important issues is corrosive to the national social fabric, its divisive and it destroys the trust in government.

CNN blows everything out of proportion concerning trump idiocy. But lying isn't a part of that equation.

Imagine if John McCain was president now. How different the national debate would be. How the national response would be focused, intelligent and so much more successful. Hypocrisy, didn't exist in Mr. McCain.

Edited by Phil1111

36 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If only real life was this way.  You'd be able to blindly roll along without any information counter to what you believe.

Fools, trolls, and русский-bots don't provide information.

I visit a wide variety of news sites daily for information. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Wouldn't that make Sarah Palin POTUS?

No, thats a couple election cycles ago. He has someone else now.......OK ... good one.

But if trump can get by with Pence, a trooper, ok airman, like McCain could carry her.

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)

U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages

The 100-page federal plan laid out a grim prognosis and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government.

"A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector."

Somehow speaking the truth to the American people from the WH wasn't part of the equation. It was the NYT that had to do that.

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

That is simply a ridiculous but typical right wing nonsense statement. The police protect you, the fire department protects you, our military protects you. Also, outside of when conservatives get power the EPA, CDC, etc. etc.. protects you. FEMA protects you from starving or freezing to death after a hurricane.

Your statement implies, for example, that unless FEMA could prevent hurricanes they are a useless government waste. That is the problem with the right wing world view.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Rand Paul is an important man. And it's most important that people be reminded over and over again just what an important man Rand Paul is. Just ask Rand Paul.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 5:42 PM, gowlerk said:

This is threatening to become a major event. Borders are closing down and governments are nervous. And now Trump has decided that putting Pence "in charge" of US preparedness is a good way of nailing his VP's coffin lid shut. What are you going to do when it comes into your town? I'm a little concerned as a frequent border crosser for work. As authorities struggle to figure out the best approach many are over reacting and causing economic damage in a futile effort.

If it was a variant of the Swine Flu we could refer to it as "Porklips Now".

52 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That is simply a ridiculous but typical right wing nonsense statement. The police protect you, the fire department protects you, our military protects you. Also, outside of when conservatives get power the EPA, CDC, etc. etc.. protects you. FEMA protects you from starving or freezing to death after a hurricane.

Your statement implies, for example, that unless FEMA could prevent hurricanes they are a useless government waste. That is the problem with the right wing world view.

That is a ridiculous statement used by the right and the left. To deflect criticism of their political position. To obfuscate the liability of their political tribe associated with their leadership. The blame game,cop-out,deflect responsibility, blame big and small government. As if its led by someone other than their leaders.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

That is fucking ridiculous.

In 2012, the Swine flu came around. It was taken seriously from the beginning. Testing was done, travel restrictions were put in place, warnings were issued.

While it was a different disease, with a different infection rate and a different mortality rate, it was handled reasonably well. 
Which is why the Alt-Right has spread so many lies about it.

If the Mango Mussolini had taken this seriously from the beginning, it might not have gotten so bad so fast. 
But he didn't. He pretended it was a minor issue. He lied about the severity. He didn't even understand that the flu kills people. Or why a vaccine for one disease can't be used on another.
He delayed bringing the people on the cruise ship ashore because it would increase the numbers and hurt his popularity. 
And now he's lying about the lies he told before. Saying that he knew it was a pandemic before everyone else.

If you don't think 'a government can be prepared to protect you', look at South Korea (as was already noted). While they aren't totally unaffected, their total infections is not terribly high. Their mortality rate is around 1%. 
Italy, OTOH, was horribly unprepared. Caught totally off guard. They have over 31k confirmed cases and their mortality is nearly 8%. EIGHT PERCENT. 

Think about it.

15 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

You can call attention to Trumps mistakes, and when he changes his mind, and does the right thing, he gets criticized for that too.

He didn't change his mind. He lied and said he always knew it was a pandemic.

I would give him credit if he actually said he had changed his mind.

23 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That is fucking ridiculous....

If you don't think 'a government can be prepared to protect you', look at South Korea (as was already noted). While they aren't totally unaffected, their total infections is not terribly high. Their mortality rate is around 1%. 
Italy, OTOH, was horribly unprepared. Caught totally off guard. They have over 31k confirmed cases and their mortality is nearly 8%. EIGHT PERCENT. 

Think about it.

Eight percent is properly emphasized. On a major US news channel the other day they had a story about the crisis in Italy. A elderly woman, over 60 at least, probably fifty lbs overweight and suffering from coronavirus . Had just been turned away from a hospital for lack of a bed. She was in tears and distraught in a public square in front of the hospital. Being comforted by her family.

This crisis is tearing Italy up and will cause lasting damage.

Today Andrew Cuomo in on the news outlining what he is doing in NY. How he had managed to snag a USN hospital ship to be docked in NY harbor. With over 1,000 beds and trained staff ready to receive NY residents. Thats leadership. Setting aside of course its likely needed there most.

Where are the other governors fighting for other such national assets to protect their constituents? Why should it be grab what you can in masks, test kits, etc. Its a dog eat dog crisis every state for itself?

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Simply untrue.  OUR current government has ensured that IT is ill prepared to protect US.  In fact it isn't even protecting our economy right now.

Even its lies are now being exposed.