5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson is asking Rolls Royce and other automakers to switch over to producing ventilators. I kid you not. Ventilator makers and auto makers are both calling the request "unrealistic".

well this is a smart idea. For once. using cross competence of the industry for the production of necessary (and vital) goods. It has worked in wartime, it could work (or would be worth trying) in this war against this virus. This and total lockdown for non VITAL activity.

13 minutes ago, piisfish said:

well this is a smart idea. For once. using cross competence of the industry for the production of necessary (and vital) goods. It has worked in wartime, it could work (or would be worth trying) in this war against this virus. This and total lockdown for non VITAL activity.

At least he's trying - I haven't heard Trump offer anything but lip service.  Sound bites and confidence reassurance, nothing of substance. (Not really expecting different - but it would be nice)

Results from one model indicate likely outcomes depending on degree of mitigation we manage to implement in the U.S.:

“Weak mitigation (what's happening now): Peak in early June. ~100M infections, 1.76M casualties.

“Moderate mitigation (widespread social distancing, business closures, restricted travel): Peak in mid to late June. ~100M infections. 1.27M casualties.

“Strong mitigation (complete societal shutdown, Wuhan style): Peak December. ~35M infections. 171,000 casualties.

Source: https://neherlab.org/covid19/

“Right now, we are at weak mitigation. The sooner we move to moderate mitigation, the better - every day counts. Most non-authoritarian governments cannot implement strong mitigation..”

19 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

At least he's trying - I haven't heard Trump offer anything but lip service.  Sound bites and confidence reassurance, nothing of substance. (Not really expecting different - but it would be nice)

He just hasn't figured out how his family can make money off it.

9 hours ago, kallend said:

Apparently testing NBA players used up 20% of the coronavirus test kits in the entire state of Utah.

One rule for the rich.....

Mabey one rule for those who travel abroad, go on cruises, interact with a lot of people who interact with a lot of other people, etc. etc. IOW, a test for those at risk.  NBA stars, politicians, movie stars.  A classic case of influencea.... while the poor folks in West Virginia have to suffer through no tests.....oh, and BTW no coronavirus     

On 3/14/2020 at 7:51 AM, wmw999 said:

Okra work well; I can assure you that pickled black radishes are awful. And I like pretty much everything, except for pickled black radishes.

Wendy P.

LOL, we grew spanish black radish last year, ummm yeah, REAL earthy! I'll stick with the plain jane red/white kind. 

(edited)
33 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

.... while the poor folks in West Virginia have to suffer through no tests.....oh, and BTW no coronavirus     

WVU chief health officer on COVID-19: It's here. We just can't detect it yet

"Dr. Clay Marsh, vice president and executive dean for health sciences at West Virginia University, said it is likely people in West Virginia already have the virus. ..

In West Virginia, the state Department of Health and Human Resources has said West Virginia became capable of testing in a state lab only about a week ago, and reported on its website Friday that private labs are now capable of testing. Just 31 tests had been performed in West Virginia as of Saturday.

Because of that lack of testing, Marsh noted that people are having to choose to self-quarantine just because they've internationally traveled, for instance. South Korea, meanwhile, arranged for drive-through testing.

"During the time we're not looking, the virus is still expanding and it's connecting to other people," Marsh said. "We just don't know it because we can't detect it yet."

January 17, 2020 The CDC dispatches more than 100 staffers to three US airports to screen passengers arriving from Wuhan, a highly unusual step only taken during major health crises. So 51 days after screening in the US began the State of W. Virginia received its first test kit.

"A week ago, the Trump administration said that 1 million kits would be available. But as of Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that just 75,000 test kits were available at 73 state and local health departments across 50 states....

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)
6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Sounds like global warming.  It is here, it is devastating, it is worse than we thought, but we just cant detect it yet.

Fer Christ's sake. Save it for the other thread.

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, normiss said:

Results from one model indicate likely outcomes depending on degree of mitigation we manage to implement in the U.S.:

“Weak mitigation (what's happening now): Peak in early June. ~100M infections, 1.76M casualties.

“Moderate mitigation (widespread social distancing, business closures, restricted travel): Peak in mid to late June. ~100M infections. 1.27M casualties.

“Strong mitigation (complete societal shutdown, Wuhan style): Peak December. ~35M infections. 171,000 casualties.

“Right now, we are at weak mitigation. The sooner we move to moderate mitigation, the better - every day counts. Most non-authoritarian governments cannot implement strong mitigation..”

Wow. 

I thought I knew how low patent trolls could go, but I was wrong:

So, let's summarize: The firm that basically created the mess that is WeWork by dumping billions of dollars into the company, also owns a patent troll that bought up the patents from the sham medical testing firm Theranos, and is now using those patents to sue one of the few diagnostics companies that is actually making a Covid-19 test... in the middle of a pandemic. And, demanding the use of those tests be blocked:

Source: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200316/14584244111/softbank-owned-patent-troll-using-monkey-selfie-law-firm-sues-to-block-covid-19-testing-using-theranos-patents.shtml

(edited)
4 hours ago, normiss said:

Hmmm...something doesn't seem right about these numbers. We are definitely at at least moderate mitigation here in the US at this point. Most non-essential businesses are closing where I live and travel is definitely severely restricted. These numbers suggest there would be no reduction at all in numbers of infections--only the numbers of casualties--by going from weak to moderate mitigation. That doesn't make sense to me, Additionally, in China/Wuhan, the rate of new infections peaked around mid-February, so strong mitigation seems to result in a peak less than a month after the number of cases was at the current US level.

Edited by SivaGanesha