5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
39 minutes ago, kallend said:

my wife is an MD (as is Billvon's) so I get accurate information first hand, and i expect he does too.

People like airdvr are not only uninformed, they are irresponsible.

Meh. . .

"Why Doctors So Often Get It Wrong"

But don't worry, it'll be our little secret.  I'm sure airdvr's wife is "always right" too! ;)

Edited by Coreece

19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't think the guy's a pedophile, but it's just weird how he likes kids.

I haven't heard about him being a possible pedophile yet. It's amazing the things you learn about on the web! Be careful with your kids.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I haven't heard about him being a possible pedophile yet. It's amazing the things you learn about on the web! Be careful with your kids.

I don't have kids. I don't even know what a kid looks like, they're little goats or something, right? I get my news from airdvr. People say he's O.K.

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't have kids. I don't even know what a kid looks like, they're little goats or something, right? I get my news from airdvr. People say he's O.K.

Oh yes. airdvr I'm sure airdvr is ok. But I don't know if everyone around him is. Know what I mean?

4 minutes ago, ryoder said:

CO ski areas are shutting down: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspen-skiing-co-shuts-down-all-four-mountains-after-colorado-governor-orders-closure/

The title only mentions the Aspen-owned ones, but the 2nd half of the article lists the others.

I asked Ed Scott if USPA had an opinion. His Sergeant Schultz response: 

"We have discussed the implications of the pandemic on skydiving. I’ve determined that USPA should not be a source for health or medical advice. Instead, people should consult the CDC and their state and local public health departments.

I presume DZOs now know that if they choose to open they should take steps to encourage good hygiene among staff and customers, and take steps to turn away any who are symptomatic. But I hope they also know that those steps are no guarantee against infection."

Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today. Someday's we're a membership organization and some day's we're not. Oy, vey.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I asked Ed Scott if USPA had an opinion. His Sergeant Schultz response: 

"We have discussed the implications of the pandemic on skydiving. I’ve determined that USPA should not be a source for health or medical advice. Instead, people should consult the CDC and their state and local public health departments.

I presume DZOs now know that if they choose to open they should take steps to encourage good hygiene among staff and customers, and take steps to turn away any who are symptomatic. But I hope they also know that those steps are no guarantee against infection."

Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today. Someday's we're a membership organization and some day's we're not. Oy, vey.

No one wants to face the implications of this on skydiving tandem business. I don’t blame USPA for that. It’s not a skydiving issue, it’s a public health issue.

38 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I haven't heard about him being a possible pedophile yet. It's amazing the things you learn about on the web!

Everyone is talking about him being a pedophile.  I don't know, but everyone is saying it.  I mean, that's what people say.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Out of curiosity, I just checked the websites of all the ski areas within driving distance of the Front Range. It appears the only one that didn't shut down this weekend is Eldora, (outside Nederland). 

It is late in the season.  Few people will be skiing, especially given the virus concerns, and those that do ski will be season pass holders.  So, good excuse to shut down and save money.  Since Vail bought Kirkwood, they close about 4 weeks earlier than they used to.   Great snow right now for the next 2-3 days (about 4 feet of new expected), so we are heading up anyway when it lets up, to hang and to snowshoe.

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

No one wants to face the implications of this on skydiving tandem business. I don’t blame USPA for that. It’s not a skydiving issue, it’s a public health issue.

It's not about blaming any person. Ed's a cool dude in my book but he is the face and voice of USPA until the end of 2020. USPA only recommends and suggests consequences for not taking those recommendations to heart. Seems to me this would be right in their wheelhouse.

It wouldn't take much, just a missive that barely touches on the potential consequences. But thinking that DZO's, and what a bunch they are, will with conscious volition contact the CDC or the state and local health authorities for guidance, much less follow it, is wishful thinking at best and panicked fleeing at worst. 

When Estados Unidos sends its people, they’re not sending their best.  They’re sending people that have lots of viruses, and they’re bringing those viruses with us.  And some, I assume, are good people.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8110163/Mexico-wants-close-border-Americans-stop-spread-coronavirus.html

(edited)
9 hours ago, ryoder said:

Out of curiosity, I just checked the websites of all the ski areas within driving distance of the Front Range. It appears the only one that didn't shut down this weekend is Eldora, (outside Nederland). 

And they are now closed.

Apparently, the governor issued an order to close every ski area in the state:

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-vail-resorts-closure/

Edited by ryoder

17 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Not even close to being funny,

That's a relief, it wasn't supposed to be a joke or an accusation or whatever else you are sensitive about this morning. It was a simple illustration of a certain level of hypocrisy in today's political discourse. 

It was a pretty inappropriate comment IMO, particularly followed up by a mod, given that the 2nd rule of posting on this site is 

1. No jokes about or references to pedophilia. None.

There were other ways Joe could have made the same point.

24 minutes ago, yoink said:

It was a pretty inappropriate comment IMO, particularly followed up by a mod, given that the 2nd rule of posting on this site is 

I agree, although starting from the latest post I had no idea as to who it was referring to. I thought reference was made to a actor or politician.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Not even close to being funny,

So, you do notice that no one was speaking of you, right? But its a little nebulous isn't it. It is not supposed to be funny, its supposed to make you see a point. I know it likely failed because you are resistant to points you don't already see.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

Not only no farting in church but also no wearing previously farted in underwear to church.

It was not a joke about pedophilia. No one was accused of pedophilia. If it was too close to the do not cross line, my apologies. But in all fairness we're sort of running out of way's to make the same point.