5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Spain is set to announce a national lockdown. Deaths doubled overnight in the UK. That would be the country where no flight restrictions to US travel exist.

Charles Darwin developed a theory of natural evolution. FOX and others have led the groundwork for that to play out in the next couple months. Intelligent, responsible planners will do their best to protect those around them. To ignore the outstretched handshake, instead staying home and isolating possible self exposures.

If you are quoting numbers please allow us to see where you get those numbers.

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Bottom line for me is I've seen this before...it's 2009 all over again.

No, this is not the same. I know that we all want to understand what is happening and we all need to compare it to what we already know by experience. But this is not the same as the 2009 event. Even though both involve a coronavirus. This is a full step up in severity of impact. This is not something any of us have seen before. The closest relatively similar event would be 1919. Luckily for us indications are that it is not going to be as bad as that.

Wash your hands, practice social distancing. Keep you eyes on the ball and this too shall pass. But we are all going to be affected in some way far more than we were in 2009. Actually, we already have been.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If you are quoting numbers please allow us to see where you get those numbers.

Coronavirus death toll in UK doubles in 24 hours

Everything is good though because Boris Johnson’s Long Journey From Trump Hater to Best Friend

From above story" Back in 2015, he accused Trump of ‘stupefying ignorance’ " Even Boris is right from time to time.

Edited by Phil1111

16 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I don't think the Dems are trying to inflame the situation, but I doubt they are trying to douse the flames either.

Which makes them . . . one of the few groups out there NOT trying to manipulate public opinion.

58 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

No, this is not the same. I know that we all want to understand what is happening and we all need to compare it to what we already know by experience. But this is not the same as the 2009 event. Even though both involve a coronavirus.

H1N1, the 2009 thing, isn't a coronavirus. You're thinking of Sars from 2002/3.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Do you think the Swine Flu Pandemic was blown out of proportion?

Nope.  It was pretty appropriate.  It was an H1N1 virus; the last H1N1 infection was the Spanish Flu that killed ~50 million people.  So it made sense to put a lot of effort into preparation for it, even though people were claiming it was a "campaign of panic" a "false pandemic" and "one of the greatest medicine scandals of the century." (Sounds like FOX News and/or Trump!)  Fortunately cooler heads prevailed and the work continued. 

It didn't really reach the US in significant numbers until fall 2009 and by that time all the work done (in your terms - panic) had resulted in a CDC team ready for it and a vaccine.  In the end it killed about 12,000 people - a number that would have been far higher if the CDC had not prepared for it.

7 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Thanks 

Interestingly enough despite their similar effects the closest relationship that flu and Sars etc have is that they're both part of the realm of RNA viruses. Beneath that it's all different.

5 hours ago, billvon said:

That might help but:

1) Before we can even consider that we have to essentially test everyone who is sick.  And it will be months before we have that capability.  (Likely longer, since some politicians want less testing so the "numbers are better.")

2) There's a not-insignificant risk of passing on other diseases through plasma transfusions.

3) Plasma donation is fairly resource and time intensive, and so will likely be able to benefit a small number of people.

All true, Bill. It's a start. 

I think we can all agree that politicizing this football is not a good game to play. 

As you expressed; strong leadership from the CDC along with Gowlerk's comment of a collaborative environment . . . let's move forward together, cautiously with determination & focus. As with just about every disaster, it's the panic. We do a lessons learned after each one and then I swear; someone shelves it and we never really learn from the last one. 

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I think we can all agree that politicizing this football is not a good game to play. 

As you expressed; strong leadership from the CDC along with Gowlerk's comment of a collaborative environment . . . let's move forward together, cautiously with determination & focus. As with just about every disaster, it's the panic. We do a lessons learned after each one and then I swear; someone shelves it and we never really learn from the last one. 

I can't really agree on that since I don't know what you mean by politicizing the football. the level of disaster response and preparedness is ultimately in the hands of politicians, and to honestly critique what you have inevitably involves criticizing the decisions made by those politicians. For instance, Obama put in place a pandemic office in the NSC and measure to better coordinate all relevant agencies during a Pandemic. Trump, who never seems to learn anything, dissolved that office and those measures without replacement and then blamed Obama for not leaving the country better prepared when this pandemic did hit. 

It seems to me it is less political to point that out than not.

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

I can't really agree on that since I don't know what you mean by politicizing the football. the level of disaster response and preparedness is ultimately in the hands of politicians, and to honestly critique what you have inevitably involves criticizing the decisions made by those politicians. For instance, Obama put in place a pandemic office in the NSC and measure to better coordinate all relevant agencies during a Pandemic. Trump, who never seems to learn anything, dissolved that office and those measures without replacement and then blamed Obama for not leaving the country better prepared when this pandemic did hit. 

It seems to me it is less political to point that out than not.

If you really want to see what a shit-show it was when the Trump administration took over from the Obama administration, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifth_Risk

There was one person in the Trump transition who was making a serious effort to make use of all the preparations the Obama administration had assembled, but he got canned. (Chris Christie was canned because Prince Jared still holds a grudge that Christie prosecuted his criminal daddy).

Michael Lewis is one of my favorite authors, but this was the first book from him that I didn't finish, because it was so depressing.

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I’m not an expert, but I was under the impression that influenza and common colds are all coronavirus.

A lot of people offering opinions aren't experts.  I'm not, but at least I live with one - my wife is an MD (as is Billvon's) so I get accurate information first hand, and i expect he does too.

People like airdvr are not only uninformed, they are irresponsible.