5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

6 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

All of a sudden going to be a big reliance on those liberal elite, edumacated folks to come up with a solution, a vaccine, an effective treatment etc.

I thought Trump was going to do this. He loves this stuff and has a natural ability. And his uncle went to MIT!

10 hours ago, CanuckInUSA said:

Orange Man bad ... blah blah blah ... stop with the partisan BS. Our very way of life is at stake here.

It is indeed.  But if you don't learn from your mistakes, you will just continue to repeat them.  Probably not the best time to keep repeating mistakes.

Just now, billvon said:

It is indeed.  But if you don't learn from your mistakes, you will just continue to repeat them.  Probably not the best time to keep repeating mistakes.

Same people who were screaming about Carona (sic) virus being a democratic hoax are now screaming to please stop with the partisan BS....while Trump is tweeting about how bad Pelosi is.

There is likely going to be a crisis in the DZ world. I can see a full season of limited or even no tandem revenue ahead. DZs with large outstanding bank loans are going to be in trouble. Even if a tandem shutdown doesn't happen large numbers of TIs are likely to decide that it's not worth the risk.

50 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

There is likely going to be a crisis in the DZ world. I can see a full season of limited or even no tandem revenue ahead. DZs with large outstanding bank loans are going to be in trouble. Even if a tandem shutdown doesn't happen large numbers of TIs are likely to decide that it's not worth the risk.

A number of Florida DZ's have to count on foreign tourists to survive too. I expect to see this impact felt as well.

(edited)

A Top Health Official Said The US Is “Failing” At Testing For The Coronavirus    

“It is a failing. Let’s admit it," Fauci, a top-ranking member of the White House's Coronavirus Task Force, told the House Committee on Oversight and Reform during a hearing on US coronavirus preparedness and response.

Trump: Anyone who wants virus test can get a test

Edited by Phil1111

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:
3 hours ago, Coreece said:

Those showing symptoms will receive medical attention while others are required to be quarantined for 14 days.    What would be the point of foreign nationals traveling here just to be screened and then quarantined for 2 weeks anyway?

Yes. all travelers regardless of origin self quarantine for 14 days.

Ok so then why would it make any sense to come here at this point?  Cheap airfare to offset the cost of 2 weeks at Holiday Innsane?

5 minutes ago, kallend said:

Not if you are one of the fatalities, or a family member.

That is of course true. But it is also true that the number of people who are going to suffer financially, some who can least afford it, is going to be even higher.

35 minutes ago, kallend said:

Not if you are one of the fatalities, or a family member.

Right.  And if you give up smoking, and it makes you irritable, and you get in a fight and get your jaw broken - that sucks for you, too.  Still, the bad impacts of smoking are worse than the bad impacts of quitting, overall.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Ok so then why would it make any sense to come here at this point?  Cheap airfare to offset the cost of 2 weeks at Holiday Innsane?

What about all those permanent residents (green card holders) who aren’t citizens but live in the USA?

34 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

That is of course true. But it is also true that the number of people who are going to suffer financially, some who can least afford it, is going to be even higher.

I’ve never seen anything like this, it’s incredible. My cousin has a large business ($180 Million+ turnover) and he has made everyone in the office start working from home and the factory as of today starts working 3 shifts, with a 1 hour break between shifts where everything is cleaned and disinfected.

This is in Australia. By the same token he’s in the home delivery business and this has been really good for him as sales have gone up 30% with all the people switching to online buying.

(edited)

Two weeks quarantine for travelers is peanuts compared to entire cities, entire countries, schools closing, factories closing. MLB, NBA just suspended their entire seasons. Thats how long this mess is going to drag on. If not longer.

People need to start thinking of 12' exclusion zones to the next person. Then avoiding touching everything anything that anyone else touches. At Costco yesterday they had someone with cleaning wipes to wipe the handles off of every cart that came in the store. Good idea. But what about the handles of all the coolers. They've stopped serving samples. Good idea.

But people want to order takeout??? Sure get your food from someone going house to house, meeting face to face with someone who goes in and out of every building and house in town. Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Phil1111

As far as green card holders who live in the US, apparently they're being treated like citizens in that they come back, get checked for symptoms, and either get treated or self-quarantine. 

Or at least that's what I heard, and I'm way to lazy to check. But it makes sense, and every now and then things make sense.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, nigel99 said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

What about all those permanent residents

They're exempt as well, along with their spouses, parents and siblings.

52 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Two weeks quarantine for travelers is peanuts compared to entire cities, entire countries, schools closing, factories closing. MLB, NBA just suspended their entire seasons. Thats how long this mess is going to drag on. If not longer.

Ok, so why put unnecessary strain on the system and exacerbate an already precarious situation by adding people to the screening process that don't need to be here?  And then if they do show symptoms, we'll have to treat them.  And again, why would they even want to come here just to be quarantined for 2 weeks anyway?

12 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Ok, so why put unnecessary strain on the system and exacerbate an already precarious situation by adding people to the screening process that don't need to be here?  And then if they do show symptoms, we'll have to treat them.  And again, why would they even want to come here just to be quarantined for 2 weeks anyway?

Self quarantine doesn't put strain on the health system. It merely means you separate yourself from everybody else. i.e. lock yourself into your own home. Some people have to travel for employment. Some have family elsewhere. There are 100's of 000s of Americans overseas. With the new EU travel ban many are pouring back home(according to NBC). Even though the revised trump guidelines state the travel ban doesn't apply to US nationals.

So US nationals can travel from Italy to the US W/O testing or self quarantine. But EU nationals(excepting UK) cannot. Yet currently there is no testing of anyone arriving anyway. Makes perfect sense.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:
20 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Self quarantine doesn't put strain on the health system. It merely means you separate yourself from everybody else. i.e. lock yourself into your own home.

You're not following the conversation.  We're talking about foreign nationals - not citizens, and permanent residents.

20 minutes ago, Coreece said:

You're not following the conversation.  We're talking about foreign nationals - not citizens, and permanent residents.

Well C-19 doesn't discriminate. If you have a student coming to the US this fall to study for a year from Italy. Or a US citizen coming back from vacation in Italy. Either could be a C-19 carrier. Both should be treated with equal suspicion and be treated the same. Ideally both tested, then retested a week later. In the absence of that both self quarantine.

C-19 is going to be around for a while and protocols should be established to keep the virus from entering any given geographic area. Once Italy is finished its current nationwide, 60 million person, lockdown. It should be the safest country from C-19. But not every last carrier would be clear. Then new entrants to the country can start another round of infections. Same for the US.

My dad is in his 80’s and flying over from the UK tomorrow. He’s not in good health and family have paid for a first class ticket so that he is exposed as little as possible. He is only allowed to stay for 3 months, so it may get interesting.

If this is as bad as they appear to think it is, then I actually support the travel bans. But don’t make exceptions for Rich people, or for countries where Trump has golf courses etc, or even citizens and residents.

There is very little common sense being applied. My work have told me that because of my dad they may not want me to go into work for 2 weeks, yet I had dinner and drinks with a friend who just came back from Asia and that is ok? 

I don’t envy the people having to weigh the economic and medical considerations. But politics should not be part of the equation.

18 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

My dad is in his 80’s and flying over from the UK tomorrow. He’s not in good health and family have paid for a first class ticket so that he is exposed as little as possible. He is only allowed to stay for 3 months, so it may get interesting.

Good luck with all that.  I hope everything goes well and that you guys have some quality time with each other.