5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 hour ago, billvon said:
2 hours ago, yoink said:

All travel from Europe (excluding UK) to US is now suspended for 30 days.

But not for US citizens.  Because coronavirus won't get passed on by citizens, apparently.

Sigh.  He clearly said that they'll have to be appropriately screened.

"There will be exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings"

You people are impossible.

"appropriately screened" LMFAO Like a cruise ship that would make his numbers look bad.

We currently require government approval for a test for the virus.

We do not have anywhere NEAR the needed number of tests available.

Trump is a god damn moron. He's busy manipulating the stock market though, so there's that.

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

"There will be exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings"

I have my latex glove on, index finger dipped in Astrolube, and stand ready for your screening Coreece. Possible?

It's all about the message you send. Sorry, he's a damn idiot and no leader no matter who is delivering his message.

28 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I wonder if the people who live near JFK airport will get used to the silence?

Back around the time 9/11 happened, Mile-Hi Skydiving had a nearby Farmer McGrumpy that phoned in complaints on a non-stop basis. The airport mgmt of Vance Brand Airport / KLMO had a website that logged all the complaints. Sometime later I happened to be looking through the logs and found the entries for Farmer McGrumpy immediately after 9/11. He had called in "wanting to know why it was so quiet". I am not kidding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Back around the time 9/11 happened, Mile-Hi Skydiving had a nearby Farmer McGrumpy that phoned in complaints on a non-stop basis. The airport mgmt of Vance Brand Airport / KLMO had a website that logged all the complaints. Sometime later I happened to be looking through the logs and found the entries for Farmer McGrumpy immediately after 9/11. He had called in "wanting to know why it was so quiet". I am not kidding.

Layoffs are coming, many industries, BIG numbers. Bigly. The biggest numbers anybody has ever seen.

Asian airlines are likely to be the first to feel the pain, but not the only.

This is going to hurt. Bad.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

I'm not impossible. I just want an equal and well thought out standard.

If he's barring all travel from the EU, then that's fine. But barring all travel and then exempting the UK because Boris Johnson is a mate just shows that this isn't a considered and planned reaction - it's a show for the media, because you're not including the third largest airport in the entire world, even though you should...

And when you then apply that thought process to 'undergoing appropriate screenings' for returning US citizens you start to think that maybe they don't actually have a plan, and are making it up on the spot when a journalist asks the question.

I hate thinking our government is this STUPID. I really do. And I get why you're thinking we're impossible, because you don't think that... But given the last 3 years I can't think any other way and my retort to 'you people are impossible' has to be 'you're naive if you think this is a well thought out plan'. 

Edited by yoink
  • Like 1

(edited)

11 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

‘Late Night’: A Closer Look at Trump Lying About Virus Outbreak

Seth Meyers takes a closer look at Donald Trump lying to millions of people about the coronavirus outbreak as his administration bungles its response.

Orange Man bad ... blah blah blah ... stop with the partisan BS. Our very way of life is at stake here. The most important thing we can do (beside self quarantine) is to support our respective healthcare workers. If we lose them, it's over. It's SHTF time and you know what that means. Not sure if living with all the guns in the USA is worse than living here in Canuckistan where only the police (who will be AWOL), the natives and the criminals have the guns. But know this, he who lives by the gun will likely die by the gun. 

I am not afraid of Covid-19. That does not mean I do not respect it. I have a deep respect for it's power.

But I repeat, I am not afraid of Covid-19. Why?

1) I am in good health, I don't smoke and I weigh in at a healthy "what is supposed to be correct weight" for my body size. A while back I educated myself on how the body works, how it metabolizes food into glucose and/or ketones used to power us. These days I only eat whole foods such as meats, fish, poultry, nuts, some dairy and consume plenty of coniferous vegetables. In other words I stopped eating processed food (ie: sugar) once I understood how bad it is to the human body. This does not mean, I cannot be infected. It just means I have a certain amount of faith that my immune system will protect me from being one of the more serious cases if I do contract it. I spent a life time dragging myself through the sewers (figure of speech of course) to build my perceived healthy immune system.

2) This evening I watched a short video about some retired engineers during the Japanese Fukushima nuclear power plant crisis of 2011. They put their lives on the line to go to the front lines and do the dirty work so that the younger generation who still have plenty of reasons to live for, had a chance of life. That was their call to arms, and this is mine. In the coming weeks if things begin to spin out of control, I want to help and I am willing to put my life on the line to help my countrymen get through these dark days. We can get through this if we unite as one and stop fucking fighting with each other. But if we are going down, I want to go down fighting. Not fighting with my countryman, but fighting this fucking virus. I am no spring chicken. I am 56 years old. A few weeks ago I still held out hope that retirement was still going to happen. But what happens 10 years from now is irrelevant. It's what happens in the coming weeks and months that matters.At times life has been challenging for me. I grew up in kind of a poor household on the other side of the tracks and as a young adult in the 80s through a lot of hard work I dragged myself across those tracks to experience the better life and I have done some really cool things with my days on this planet (skydiving and swooping were some of my best days). I respect death, but I don't fear it. So I am not afraid of Covid-19, even if it does end up killing me.

3) Before I ever dreamed of throwing myself out of airplanes for fun, I loved to ski. But I didn't like waiting in line to get on the chair lift. So I became a volunteer ski patroller first back east at Owls Head in Quebec, and then out west here at Lake Louise in Alberta. I have real world experiencing helping people in medical distress. Maybe not at the level the emergency workers face. But nonetheless, I have patrol war stories of some really challenging incidents.

This is not a virtual signal post. I am serious about this. Tomorrow I plan on contacting my local health authorities to inform them that am willing to help if they think they could use me somewhere. Plus I will be talking to my employer (I work in the IT department of an insurance company) about the possibility of taking leave from work to help at the hospitals. Finally I will be contacting the Canadian Ski Patrol to see if they would be willing to get to word out to my fellow (preferably older) ski patrol alumni to see if there are others like me who instead of running away from the front lines, find themselves running towards it. So this is only reason why I am posting this, and perhaps some of you might also be in a position where you think you can help. But please, no smokers, no people who are carrying some extra weight and/or have some sort of existing health condition. You need to be healthy. The number one rule in first aid is, prevention of further injuries.

Edited by CanuckInUSA

On 3/11/2020 at 4:22 AM, hcsvader said:

Tldr

Anyway I'm literally sitting here watching Netflix with a bottle of JD chain smoking cigarettes eating McDs with a point of meth on the table just having recently returned home from Asia.

Wonder what I'll die from?

Posting on speakers corner will kill you first

10 hours ago, Coreece said:

And how do you appropriately screen them? There is no way to determine that people haven’t been in contact with Covid infection. Further, if appropriate screening does work for US citizens, why wouldn’t it work for non US citizens? 

Let’s see how possible it is for you to apply any critical thinking to a Trump policy ;)

I wonder if trump knows that there twice as many C-19 cases in the UK than in Greece, Finland, Portugal, Poland and Ireland combined. Evidently political connections,think Boris Johnson, matter more than infectious hotspots. I wonder if he knows that any EU member can travel to UK, deny any time in the EU outside the UK then go direct to the US. S. Koreans go-direct, Russians go-direct.

Bahrain has 195 confirmed cases and if the US had the same confirmed infected rate it would have 43,000. All of the Arab trading partners with Iran are heavily infected. All go-direct to the US.

Here is what a former senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations and a Pulitzer Prize winning science writer had to say about: Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response   January 31, 2020 in Foreign Policy magazine.

" In 2017 and 2018, the philanthropist billionaire Bill Gates met repeatedly with Bolton and his predecessor, H.R. McMaster, warning that ongoing cuts to the global health disease infrastructure would render the United States vulnerable to, as he put it, the “significant probability of a large and lethal modern-day pandemic occurring in our lifetimes.” And an independent, bipartisan panel formed by the Center for Strategic and International Studies concluded that lack of preparedness was so acute in the Trump administration that the “United States must either pay now and gain protection and security or wait for the next epidemic and pay a much greater price in human and economic costs.”

The stock market response today is entirely appropriate. Chinese President Xi Jinping initially bungled the Chinese response to C-19. But once China got moving. It ordered round the clock production of medical equipment. It shut down huge cities and built new hospitals.

Canaries have been singing for decades and went quiet three years ago. Now a Pied Piper of Hamelin has begun a tune.

History will not be kind to a president who talked about miracles and magic and a hoax instead of science, nor to a congressman who clowned around with a gas mask just days before going into a self-imposed quarantine because he had been exposed to the virus. 

The intellectual vacuum (and dishonesty) in this administration is just incredible.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

And how do you appropriately screen them? There is no way to determine that people haven’t been in contact with Covid infection.

Then it seems appropriate to limit travel to reduce the number of infected people from slipping through the cracks and infecting others.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Further, if appropriate screening does work for US citizens, why wouldn’t it work for non US citizens? 

Citizens will be directed to a limited amount of airports in the U.S with medical facilities.  Those showing symptoms will receive medical attention while others are required to be quarantined for 14 days.    What would be the point of foreign nationals traveling here just to be screened and then quarantined for 2 weeks anyway?

(edited)

Here is another interesting one, which shows more details by state, and county within the state, but only for US and Canada.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Results are updated as they come in, so don't think that the new cases are lower today -- it is just that today isn't over yet.

Edited by headoverheels

(edited)
13 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I'm rapidly coming to see that the economic effects of this event are probably going to be more significant than the health effects.

I believe the words you are looking for are: global recession.

Edited by SkyDekker

Virus is viable longer than I would have expected on some surfaces.

"They found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/tests-show-new-coronavirus-lives-on-some-surfaces-for-up-to-3-days/

59 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Those showing symptoms will receive medical attention while others are required to be quarantined for 14 days.    What would be the point of foreign nationals traveling here just to be screened and then quarantined for 2 weeks anyway?

Yes. all travelers regardless of origin self quarantine for 14 days.