5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

6 hours ago, ryoder said:

Apparently, it is only a short step from selling religion to selling snake oil.

FDA warns televangelist Jim Bakker and six others to stop selling fraudulent coronavirus products

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/fda-and-ftc-warn-televangelist-jim-bakker-and-six-others-to-stop-selling-fraudulent-coronavirus-products.html

That should be in the deplorables thread

So Italy is under quarantine.

All of Italy. Some 60 million people. 'Stay home and seek permission for essential travel.' So yeah, I get why people are buying bog roll.

Their reported cases vs mortality ratio is nearly 20%, which is insane. What we obviously don't know is how many people catch it and don't get reported, but that's why people are being told to stay home - until science has an idea about stuff like this.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

So Italy is under quarantine.

All of Italy. Some 60 million people. 'Stay home and seek permission for essential travel.' So yeah, I get why people are buying bog roll.

Their reported cases vs mortality ratio is nearly 20%, which is insane. What we obviously don't know is how many people catch it and don't get reported, but that's why people are being told to stay home - until science has an idea about stuff like this.

I would like to know why Italy, specifically, is so skewed compared to all the other stats.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I would like to know why Italy, specifically, is so skewed compared to all the other stats.

What I know is that Venice is famous for its Carnival celebration; a friend of mine was there. She saw the first day and/or preparations. They were going to spend a week or two (dunno, and it doesn't matter any more). Then they were evacuated elsewhere in the north, and then they were instructed to return to Brazil, where they're quarantined at home.

But any big tourist destination that's easy to get to (and Italy is much easier to get to than Rio or even New Orleans) is going to be a prime target. 

I'm more curious as to why Iran became such a hot spot.

Wendy P.

12 hours ago, yoink said:

Their reported cases vs mortality ratio is nearly 20%, which is insane. 

Please ignore this. My math was insanely wrong. It's about 5%. 

No idea how I screwed that up so badly.

DO NOT go out and panic buy toilet paper!

34 minutes ago, hcsvader said:

Anyway I'm literally sitting here watching Netflix with a bottle of JD chain smoking cigarettes eating McDs with a point of meth on the table just having recently returned home from Asia.

Definitely Netflix.

23 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I'm more curious as to why Iran became such a hot spot.

Wendy P.

A good story on Iran, sad but perhaps it will bring about a downfall of the clerics.

A cleric's cure for coronavirus becomes butt of jokes in Iran   It seems as if there is a full equal to trump in Iran. " Amid anxieties in Iran over the coronavirus outbreak and a flurry of precautions to prevent its spread, a controversial ayatollah has declared a new method to “cure” the virus: applying violet oil to the anus."

(edited)
17 hours ago, hcsvader said:

Tldr

Anyway I'm literally sitting here watching Netflix with a bottle of JD chain smoking cigarettes eating McDs with a point of meth on the table just having recently returned home from Asia.

Wonder what I'll die from?

Well smoking and obesity are two risk factors for having a much more serious covid-19 infection, so I guess it is just a roll of the dice.

I heard that local police stations are testing meth for covid-19 because it is one of the substances that has been shown to be contaminated. Make sure you tweak safe, go get it checked out.

Edited by DougH

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

You may want to bookmark this:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University

That's great -- thanks!

My plan is to be as healthy as possible, so that I'm an easy recovery away if I get it.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)

All travel from Europe (excluding UK) to US is now suspended for 30 days.

Wow. From ‘not a problem’ to ‘holy shit’ in record time.

Someone should probably tell the administration that viruses don’t respect ‘special relationships’, btw...

Edited by yoink

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

But not for US citizens.  Because coronavirus won't get passed on by citizens, apparently.

I'm wondering what legal issues would arise from trying to prevent a citizen from returning to his own country.

42 minutes ago, billvon said:

But not for US citizens.  Because coronavirus won't get passed on by citizens, apparently.

Well, it's a "foreign virus", so there's that. I get the impression that perspective came from Miller.

With all the loopholes in this new policy, it won't do a damn thing. Like Trump.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, BIGUN said:

What astounds me is the run on toilet paper (no pun intended).

In the coming Ronpocolypse toilet paper will be the new currency, think shit-coin if that helps, where one sheet will be worth one Top Ramen. A whole roll is like salvation so just imagine having a case stashed.

• Like 1