5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Banknotes may be spreading coronavirus, World Health Organisation warns

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/who-world-health-organisation-coronavirus-banknotes-warning-111019361.html

As a public service, I am willing to accept all your unwanted banknotes.

Who the fuck uses banknotes anymore? You'll be telling me you have a landline and buy physical newspapers next.

;)

2 hours ago, NewGuy2005 said:

My daughter is moving home from Japan in a couple of weeks.  The State department is supposed to be asking her to voluntarily quarantine herself for two weeks.  She will fully comply with this request by staying confined to our home and only leaving the house to go for walks, etc, and avoiding the public. 

My wife informed her employer and co-workers of this and two of her co-worker immediately declared they would not work with her and if she shows up for work they would not.  This was a little disappointing, but it looks like my wife is going to get a couple of weeks off.

Looks like it's very country dependent. 

In the UK, Japan is catagorized as a Cat 2 risk - so unless you go to a hospital, have contact with someone who is already diagnosed, or have specific symptoms you don't need to isolate yourself.

That said, I do understand her co-workers position. 

On 2/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, billvon said:

I'm picturing Republicans tonight saying "oh shit.  I never thought that we'd actually need the president to, you know, lead and make good decisions.  Isn't it all just a game?  Maybe there's a downside to having an ignorant, petulant child in charge - even if he's saying all the things we want him to say.  No one could have known this could happen."

No one knew how complicated healthcare is.

I won’t reply to a particular post, as there are too many on the topic of masks. I thought for sure someone would point out before now that masks don’t do anything to keep the wearer from being exposed to outside pathogens. They keep germs confined to the system of someone already infected, to keep that person from infecting others. I would consider them prudent for someone who had been exposed, while they are in quarantine waiting to learn whether they contracted the virus, but these people walking around airports and other public places in the US wearing masks are just hurting the industry that really needs them.

Another sad observation from this week: just try to find disinfectant wipes for sale. The shelves are cleared out of the wipes. However, plenty of disinfecting cleanser is still filling the shelves. Are people really that ill educated? (That’s rhetorical. Unfortunately I know they actually are). The sales associates at Home Depot were walking around openly criticizing the rush on wipes.

77C1273E-6F04-46B2-B66A-CBA3BC81C49B.jpeg

10 hours ago, kallend said:

Banknotes may be spreading coronavirus, World Health Organisation warns

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/who-world-health-organisation-coronavirus-banknotes-warning-111019361.html

As a public service, I am willing to accept all your unwanted banknotes.

In solidarity with John, and in spriti of reaching across the aisle, I would like to join in a non-partisan effort, and will also accept your unwanted legal tender.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 2:19 AM, kallend said:

We shall be watching "Contagion" this evening.

According to Warner Bros., the film was listed as No. 270 among its catalog titles at the end of December. Since the start of 2020, it has jumped to second, bested only by Harry Potter movies. “Contagion” is also trending on Amazon Prime Video and has flirted with the iTunes top 10.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/business/media/coronavirus-contagion-movie.html

29 minutes ago, ryoder said:

According to Warner Bros., the film was listed as No. 270 among its catalog titles at the end of December. Since the start of 2020, it has jumped to second, bested only by Harry Potter movies. “Contagion” is also trending on Amazon Prime Video and has flirted with the iTunes top 10.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/business/media/coronavirus-contagion-movie.html

People like to scare themselves into irrational decisions, who would have thought?

11 hours ago, TriGirl said:

I won’t reply to a particular post, as there are too many on the topic of masks. I thought for sure someone would point out before now that masks don’t do anything to keep the wearer from being exposed to outside pathogens. They keep germs confined to the system of someone already infected, to keep that person from infecting others. I would consider them prudent for someone who had been exposed, while they are in quarantine waiting to learn whether they contracted the virus, but these people walking around airports and other public places in the US wearing masks are just hurting the industry that really needs them.

Yep.  The only thing that masks do for most people is keep them from touching their faces.  But watching people near the airport here, they are often pulling their mask down to scratch their nose.

(edited)
On 3/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, billvon said:

Looks like it has peaked in China and is now declining, which will let us get a better handle on infection rates and periods of contagion.

Unfortunately there are reports circulating of people dying after being discharged. So little still known. Can the virus go dormant, or undetectable while still being active? Can a second infection be more deadly than the first infection? That was one of the problems with the SARS vaccine.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3065091/coronavirus-recovered-patient-dies-china-reports-139-new-cases

Edited by SkyDekker
rambling

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yep.  The only thing that masks do for most people is keep them from touching their faces.  But watching people near the airport here, they are often pulling their mask down to scratch their nose.

Was at a Cavaliers game last night.  Unbelievable how many folks run their hands along the railings on the stairs.

22 minutes ago, tonyhays said:

People are starting to lose their minds here in Australia...went to three different stores and zero toilet paper.  What an odd thing to hoard.

Well, you certainly don't want to run out, do you?

One thing I learned from the (fairly minor) Swine Flu outbreak a while back was that if it gets bad, going out in public may become a bad idea. When Swine was looking like it might get bad (never did) in Mexico, a lot of public places were closed. Including grocery stores. So even if one was willing to risk going into public, the store was closed. 

So I slowly "hoarded" a bit of food, water and other essentials (including TP). Presuming power stays on, I can last a while without needing to leave the house if I choose not to.

(edited)
2 hours ago, tonyhays said:

People are starting to lose their minds here in Australia...went to three different stores and zero toilet paper.  What an odd thing to hoard

20200305_151013.jpg

"

we can reduce our risk of being infected and cut the chance of running out of essential foods and goods.

The list included extra prescription drugs and over-the-counter fever and pain medicines; feminine hygiene products; toilet paper and tissues; and vitamins "in case food shortages limit the variety in your diet." He also advised buying items including soap, alcohol hand rub and household cleaning products.

In terms of food, he suggested purchasing cereals, grains, beans, lentils and pasta; tinned food such as fish, vegetables and fruit; oil, spices and other flavorings; dried fruit and nuts; powdered milk; items for pets; as well as soft drinks, candy and chocolate for treats. Mackay urged people to also consider the needs of elderly relatives.

Homemade Hand Sanitizer Ingredients
  1. 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol.
  2. 1/3 cup aloe vera gel.
  3. 8-10 drops essential oil, optional (such as lavender, vanilla, peppermint, grapefruit)
  4. bowl and spoon.
  5. funnel.
  6. recycled liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle.
Edited by Phil1111

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

or

Pandemic preppers arm up, 'person with the most ammo wins'

The NRA has this to say "at Widener’s, although the company provided eye-opening figures readers in some regions should note. Orders from Michigan are up by 566 percent. Other states with enthusiasts buying at higher-than-normal rates include Connecticut (up 390 percent), Florida at (+383), Kentucky at (+304), and New Jersey (+241). 

“We are seeing an increase in sales across the board. It’s not product-specific, it’s industry-specific,” Long said. He also provided a breakdown of the cartridges most in demand. Sales of .223 Rem. and 5.56 NATO are up 2,036 percent, .45 ACP has risen 195 percent and the 9 mm increase came in at 110 percent.