5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)

Why try to convince you otherwise?

It’s kind of like motorcycle helmets. My brother’s feeling is that anyone who doesn’t wear a motorcycle helmet should not be allowed to, so that nature can take its course. You just believe what you want, and act accordingly. 

Wendy P.  

Edited by wmw999

3 hours ago, millertime24 said:

3r4fd7.jpg

Couldn't you have just typed that sentence? 

Anyway, before there were vaccines for it the flu was responsible for one of the deadliest pandemics in world history, so I really hope your pessimism is unfounded and it is not flu 2.0.

29 minutes ago, jakee said:

Anyway, before there were vaccines for it the flu was responsible for one of the deadliest pandemics in world history, so I really hope your pessimism is unfounded and it is not flu 2.0.

Speaking of vaccines...I haven't heard whether Tamiflu has any effect. XOFLUZA

(edited)
21 hours ago, airdvr said:

Speaking of vaccines...I haven't heard whether Tamiflu has any effect. XOFLUZA

Trump Asks Infectious Diseases Expert, Pharma Execs If Flu Vaccine Would Work Against Coronavirus

Evidently the concept that drug companies have to design a new flu drug every year to target the mutations. Has escaped Don't Brag about Your Large Brain, Pres. trump

Edited by Phil1111

42 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Evidently the concept that drug companies have to design a new flu [vaccine] every year to target the mutations. Has escaped Don't Brag about Your Large Brain, Pres. trump

============

"You take a solid flu vaccine," Trump said, "you don't think that would have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?"

"No," came the response.

=============

And of course then you get autism.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

============

"You take a solid flu vaccine," Trump said, "you don't think that would have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?"

"No," came the response.

=============

And of course then you get autism.

No wonder Pence is praying for it to go away.

21 hours ago, millertime24 said:

aywDWMv-909x1024.png

West Nile is real. Fairly low impact. Not too many people get it. It's not transmitted 'person to person'/
Swine flu was a pretty small outbreak. But it still got interesting in Mexico.
Bird flu never took hold.
Ebola never got out of Africa (the two nurses were infected treating a case out of Africa, there were no other transmissions in the US).

NONE OF THOSE ever reached the point that Corona has right now. 
I will agree that the media is blowing it somewhat out of proportion, but thinking it's 'no big deal' is foolish.

But you go ahead. There's lots of folks who think they don't need to worry.
We'll see.

5 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

West Nile is real. Fairly low impact. Not too many people get it. It's not transmitted 'person to person'/
Swine flu was a pretty small outbreak. But it still got interesting in Mexico.
Bird flu never took hold.
Ebola never got out of Africa (the two nurses were infected treating a case out of Africa, there were no other transmissions in the US).

NONE OF THOSE ever reached the point that Corona has right now. 
I will agree that the media is blowing it somewhat out of proportion, but thinking it's 'no big deal' is foolish.

But you go ahead. There's lots of folks who think they don't need to worry.
We'll see.

Who knows? Brent's Drop zone is for sale. Is it because of Coronavirus? I have no idea. People talk.

Personally, I'd rather take reasonable precautions than be all 'it's nothing. It's no worse than a cold.' then get it, transmit it to someone vulnerable then feel guilty if they get hospitalized.

It's probably too late to prevent it spreading throughout the US. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to take precautions though - as I had the argument with my boss yesterday. So personally, until we know more about it, I'm limiting my contact with big touristy areas and am not flying.

It's not panic. But it's a considered response.

15 hours ago, yoink said:

So personally, until we know more about it, I'm limiting my contact with big touristy areas and am not flying.

Kinda like choosing to avoid cruise ships...  Be smarter than the virus! 

35 minutes ago, timski said:
16 hours ago, yoink said:

So personally, until we know more about it, I'm limiting my contact with big touristy areas and am not flying.

Kinda like choosing to avoid cruise ships...  Be smarter than the virus! 

We've considered going on a cruise in December, January, February and now maybe in April, but in every instance it just seemed like a bad time to go, especially now.

I wonder how this will affect the polls and which side it'll affect more.  So far Biden supporters seem fearless:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/betting_odds/democratic_2020_nomination/

Scared money never wins. . .

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Looks like it has peaked in China and is now declining, which will let us get a better handle on infection rates and periods of contagion.

They took some pretty draconian measures though.

I’m not sure they’d be successful in the US, for example.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

I wonder how this will affect the polls and which side it'll affect more.  So far Biden supporters seem fearless

Also wanted to add that it might be wise to do an absentee ballot this year just in case things get worse or if you'd rather not be around the crowds.

13 minutes ago, yoink said:

They took some pretty draconian measures though.

I’m not sure they’d be successful in the US, for example.

Agreed.  But seeing a peak and then a decline gives you fairly solid numbers for infection and fatality rates.  You can then adjust for differing public health measures.  (Needless to say, I have faith that the US will screw up the response.)

(edited)
5 hours ago, billvon said:

Looks like it has peaked in China and is now declining, which will let us get a better handle on infection rates and periods of contagion.

Sounds like good news, but is the info coming out of China reliable at this point?

Edited by Coreece

21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Sounds like good news, but is the info coming out of China reliable at this point?

No - but I believe the information coming out of the WHO (which is where this particular info came from.)  From CNBC:

================================

The COVID-19 outbreak in China appears to have peaked and leveled off earlier this month even as the deadly coronavirus spreads to other parts of the world, World Health Organization officials said Monday.

A WHO-led team of scientists that just returned from China found that the epidemic in that country peaked and plateaued between Jan. 23 and Feb. 2 and has been declining steadily since then, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, said at a news conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.

The case fatality rate is between 2% and 4% inside the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, and 0.7% outside of Wuhan, Tedros said, citing the team’s findings. For people with mild diseases, recovery time is two weeks, while people with severe or critical diseases recover in three to six weeks, he said.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  But seeing a peak and then a decline gives you fairly solid numbers for infection and fatality rates.  You can then adjust for differing public health measures.  (Needless to say, I have faith that the US will screw up the response.)

Also the cruise ships are great controls and giving great data. Not much ado about nothing but definitely not Black Plague type numbers. I've had cotton stuffed into my ears since the first report, does Amy think I'm safe to take it out now?

My daughter is moving home from Japan in a couple of weeks.  The State department is supposed to be asking her to voluntarily quarantine herself for two weeks.  She will fully comply with this request by staying confined to our home and only leaving the house to go for walks, etc, and avoiding the public. 

My wife informed her employer and co-workers of this and two of her co-worker immediately declared they would not work with her and if she shows up for work they would not.  This was a little disappointing, but it looks like my wife is going to get a couple of weeks off.