5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 hours ago, normiss said:

"We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical." - Trump

You know, elements.  Like fire and air.  That's what scientists call them.

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

You know, elements.  Like fire and air.  That's what scientists call them.

Trump totally has it under control and let's not toss out the baby with the bathwater, right airdvr?  How's that 39.11% 401K increase feeling tonight?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Trump totally has it under control and let's not toss out the baby with the bathwater, right airdvr?  How's that 39.11% 401K increase feeling tonight?

He's setting records with the stock market! Biggest numbers the world has ever seen. Way bigger than that Obama. Bigly even. If he can edge out Bush, he's got historic numbers. I actually expect him to surpass all historic numbers with the market.

I'm picturing Republicans tonight saying "oh shit.  I never thought that we'd actually need the president to, you know, lead and make good decisions.  Isn't it all just a game?  Maybe there's a downside to having an ignorant, petulant child in charge - even if he's saying all the things we want him to say.  No one could have known this could happen."

Independently my wife and I both came to the conclusion yesterday that we need to lay in a stock of water and food, just in case. I'm still curious if any panic buying starts.

Nothing crazy. No 50 gallon drums of rice, or 20,000 rounds of ammo. But some fresh water, a water purifier and enough food in case stuff shuts down for a week or two. 

We've been told for years that because we're in an earthquake zone it's a good idea to have stuff like this on hand, so it'll keep us for a while.

Edited by yoink

7 hours ago, yoink said:

Independently my wife and I both came to the conclusion yesterday that we need to lay in a stock of water and food, just in case. I'm still curious if any panic buying starts.

Nothing crazy. No 50 gallon drums of rice, or 20,000 rounds of ammo. But some fresh water, a water purifier and enough food in case stuff shuts down for a week or two. 

We've been told for years that because we're in an earthquake zone it's a good idea to have stuff like this on hand, so it'll keep us for a while.

I’ve got relatives stock piling. I’m more worried that I’ll have a job in 3 months 

8 hours ago, yoink said:

Why would a good liberal need ammo?

The estimated death rate of ~ 2% is certainly an overestimate, as it only counts deaths among people who were sick enough to seek medical help and tested positive for COVID-19.  Certainly many infected people are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms.  On the other hand, it seems such people may still be infectious.  There is no practical way to detect and quarantine such asymptomatic people, so they slip though any effort at isolating the virus.  Already we are seeing a few cases in the US of diagnosed patients who have no travel history or history of contact with known patients.  The possibility of becoming infected by handling products shipped from China has been discounted, so those new cases must have been exposed in some way to an asymptomatic carrier.  There is no way to prevent the virus from coming to the US, though it might be possible to slow things down a bit. 

The precautions Bill mentions are very reasonable.  Unfortunately the US health care system is not well prepared for this situation in some ways.  We are told to see a doctor and stay home from work if we get sick.  The US has a much larger proportion of the population that is uninsured, and who work at jobs without paid sick leave.  Missing work can have serious financial implications, ranging from big medical bills and lost pay to losing your job.  Often people in this situation do go to work until they get so sick they can't.  Also they will send their kids (who have been exposed to whatever illness is involved) to day care, opening another avenue to spread the virus.  If we had universal health care and universal paid sick leave the situation could be much better.

Don

10 hours ago, billvon said:

I'm picturing Republicans tonight saying "oh shit.  I never thought that we'd actually need the president to, you know, lead and make good decisions.  Isn't it all just a game?  Maybe there's a downside to having an ignorant, petulant child in charge - even if he's saying all the things we want him to say.  No one could have known this could happen."

How a Pandemic Might Play Out Under Trump   From Dec. 20, 2016, The Atlantic magazine.

IMO George W. Bush was of ordinary intellect. Not stupid by any means, "potatoe" aside. What he did well is surround himself with smart people and listen to them. As such I think he did a good job.

trump, well he surrounds himself with........When decisions have to be made to shut down commerce, NASCAR races, etc. to potentially save American lives.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Why would a good liberal need ammo?

Sometimes liberals need ammo, sometimes conservatives need science - even if those groups often oppose those things.  I suspect a lot of conservatives are going to get suddenly supportive of medical science in the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Does that "we're all gonna die" hook in your lip hurt?

Maybe I misremembered, but I thought earlier you were touting Trump and your big 401K increase, that's where I was coming from. I hope you end up fat when you need the money, I just think the Trump economy isn't what some think it is. As bad as last week was for the markets next week and beyond can be even more awful. China is already starting to shut down. The government is requesting rent forgiveness and so on. Their economy is a lot more hand to mouth than ours and we rely on it greatly. As Brents alter ego would say : "Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson".

13 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Maybe I misremembered, but I thought earlier you were touting Trump and your big 401K increase, that's where I was coming from. I hope you end up fat when you need the money, I just think the Trump economy isn't what some think it is. As bad as last week was for the markets next week and beyond can be even more awful. China is already starting to shut down. The government is requesting rent forgiveness and so on. Their economy is a lot more hand to mouth than ours and we rely on it greatly. As Brents alter ego would say : "Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson".

Sorry...no 401K for me.  I just think this is another media sensation guaranteed to sell newspapers.  A few years back somebody was quoted saying "never let a good crisis go to waste"."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Sorry...no 401K for me.  I just think this is another media sensation guaranteed to sell newspapers.  A few years back somebody was quoted saying "never let a good crisis go to waste"."

You believe the Covid-19 outbreak is much ado about nothing?

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

Fascinating.  How many people will die from it?  What will the effect on the world's markets be?

Well...the WHO estimates 300-600,000 people die from influenza each year.  Estimates of the current death toll are at ~3,000 for covid-19. Certainly it will go higher.  But the same people that die from the flu will die from covid-19.  A healthy individual will probably be sick but not die.  Old...compromised respiratory and/or cardiac system...look out.

Effect on the world markets?  would be much less if the media wasn't whipping this thing into a frenzy.

13 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Well...the WHO estimates 300-600,000 people die from influenza each year.  Estimates of the current death toll are at ~3,000 for covid-19. Certainly it will go higher. 

Ah, so you are not sure!  But you are certain it is "nothing."  Somewhat contradictory.

Scientists and medical organizations are not as sure as you are, and are thus taking it seriously.  If it's even half as bad as the Spanish Flu, for example, it could kill 20 million.

Effect on the world markets?  would be much less if the media wasn't whipping this thing into a frenzy.

And if Trump were perceived as a competent leader during a crisis, and avoids any further displays of how little he understands this issue.

More wisdom from Mr Stable Genius:

Trump considering travel restrictions at US-Mexico border over coronavirus:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/29/trump-considering-travel-restrictions-at-us-southern-border-over-coronavirus.html

US has 68 cases. Mexico has 4:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6