5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

This is threatening to become a major event. Borders are closing down and governments are nervous. And now Trump has decided that putting Pence "in charge" of US preparedness is a good way of nailing his VP's coffin lid shut. What are you going to do when it comes into your town? I'm a little concerned as a frequent border crosser for work. As authorities struggle to figure out the best approach many are over reacting and causing economic damage in a futile effort.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

This is threatening to become a major event. Borders are closing down and governments are nervous. And now Trump has decided that putting Pence "in charge" of US preparedness is a good way of nailing his VP's coffin lid shut. What are you going to do when it comes into your town?

Wash your hands often and get a flu shot.  Stay home when you are sick.  If you get very sick go to a doctor.

Keep in mind that there have been about 2800 deaths from Covid-19 so far - worldwide.  So far this year, there have been 16,000 deaths from the ordinary flu in the US alone.  So I am all for working to figure out preventative measures for Covid-19 - but don't neglect protection from a much more deadly disease (at least in the US.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Keep in mind that there have been about 2800 deaths from Covid-19 so far - worldwide.  So far this year, there have been 16,000 deaths from the ordinary flu in the US alone.

I'm not advocating panic. But this statistic that I keep hearing about the flu is meaningless. We have a good grip on the death rate from influenza. IF covid-19 becomes as common as influenza, and IF the death rate remains at the current best guesstimate of 2 to 3 % it has the potential to kill at least 10 times the number.

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'm not advocating panic. But this statistic that I keep hearing about the flu is meaningless. We have a good grip on the death rate from influenza. IF covid-19 becomes as common as influenza, and IF the death rate remains at the current best guesstimate of 2 to 3 % it has the potential to kill at least 10 times the number.

A good strategy is to be under 40yo, and even better, be under 10yo: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

This is the top-level URL for all the statistics there: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.11.11.png

Edited by ryoder

5 minutes ago, ryoder said:

A good strategy is to be under 40yo, and even better, be under 10yo: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

This is the top-level URL for all the statistics there: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.11.11.png

I see. It's part of nature cleaning up after our aging demographics trend!

36 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You say that like it is a bad thing.  Individually it is bad but over all, there are too many people on earth so for society in the long run, not so bad.  Fewer people, fewer fossil fuels used, less CO2 in the atmosphere, less "global warming", I mean climate change.

2 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

You say that like it is a bad thing.  Individually it is bad but over all, there are too many people on earth so for society in the long run, not so bad.  Fewer people, fewer fossil fuels used, less CO2 in the atmosphere, less "global warming", I mean climate change.

It's what Greta wanted all along.

14 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

You say that like it is a bad thing.  Individually it is bad

Yes, I am looking at it as an individual. In the big picture the Earth could end tomorrow and on a macro level it would not matter. My chief concern is selfishness for myself, my loved ones, and people I depend on to make a living in the short period of time that I will exist.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Right.  The odds are low but they are there.  (Of course, that's true of flu as well; it could mutate and cause a lot more deaths.)  Again, best approach - hand washing, flu shot, stay home when you are sick.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I see. It's part of nature cleaning up after our aging demographics trend!

Thats kind of a poorly worded, calloused view. IMO it shows why these viruses are making the jump from animals to humans. Mainly originating from China. China needs to follow through on its promise earlier this year to ban wild animals for food markets.

The young, older and those with weakened immune systems, especially respiratory. Need quality quick medical assistance. This virus is very dangerous in that :

" Patient 1 (presumed asymptomatic carrier), a 20-year-old woman, lives in Wuhan and traveled to Anyang on January 10, 2020. She initially met with patients 2 and 3 on January 10. On January 13, she accompanied 5 relatives (patients 2 through 6) to visit another hospitalized relative in Anyang District Hospital (Figure). There was no report of COVID-19 at this hospital. After development of disease in her relatives, patient 1 was isolated and observed. As of February 11, she had no elevated temperature measured or self-reported fever and no gastrointestinal or respiratory symptoms, including cough and sore throat, reported or observed by the physicians. Chest CT images on January 27 and 31 showed no significant abnormalities. Her C-reactive protein level and lymphocyte count were normal (Table). Results of RT-PCR testing were negative on January 26, positive on January 28, and negative on February 5 and 8. "

Above from JAMA.

More importantly trump has decided to do his best to minimize and turn this serious issue into his usual goat*#ck. Vice President Pence has issued a directive that all health department officials must clear statements with his office.

Makes sense the P/E ratio of the US equity markets is more important than the facts of a health emergency.

Edited by Phil1111

10 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Thats kind of a poorly worded, calloused view.

Please take it in the context of the post I was replying to. And remember, at 62 YO I'm in the at risk demographic myself.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, Bigfalls said:

Yep.  But I'd greatly prefer that come about by not making so many new people, rather than letting the existing people die.

12 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Makes sense the P/E ratio of the US equity markets is more important than the facts of a health emergency.

I just bought a stock market ETF this morning to take advantage of the 10% fall this week. I've been waiting for a good opportunity.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Please take it in the context of the post I was replying to.

Yeah, I know and its true of course. But the pain of death affects more than just the deceased. Just as someone whose health is compromised by HIV. I'm sure the evangelicals will say that its just God's way of punishing those that deserve it. But thats for a different thread.

Just now, Phil1111 said:

I'm sure the evangelicals will say that its just God's way of punishing those that deserve it.

God works in mysterious ways. But Trump is completely transparent to me. I seriously believe he handed this no win losing portfolio off to Pence for a good reason. Or maybe Jared is too busy?

20 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

God works in mysterious ways. But Trump is completely transparent to me. I seriously believe he handed this no win losing portfolio off to Pence for a good reason. Or maybe Jared is too busy?

Well after Jared's success in the Middle East Peace Plan. He certainly deserved a reward. V.P. Pence's assignment to this post is akin to being handed a "poison pill". Pence must have offended trump in some fashion.Perhaps not enough lube when Pence was .......

Less deadly but more transmissible than SARS, MERS

Edited by Phil1111

39 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Vice President Pence has issued a directive that all health department officials must clear statements with his office.

So now we are adopting the practices of China?

That is exactly the dumbass mistake the officials in China were doing at the start.

Fuck him.

Just now, gowlerk said:

I'm crossing the border southbound to Spaceland San Marcos with a group of seven tomorrow morning. At least we will get a week of jumping in before the Trump orders Pence to close all the borders.

Don't worry. He will only close the borders to non-white people.

Hopefully Pence's actions don't involved shutting down clinics that would protect against it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/02/27/mike-pence-hiv-indiana/

And then resorting to prayer instead of solutions:

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pences-pray-it-plan-combat-indiana-hiv-outbreak-resurfaces-after-trump-taps-vp-lead-1489344

And then denying what all medical professionals have known for decades:

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-coronavirus-science-hiv-aids-smoking-evolution-climate-change-1489458

Edited by DJL

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Wash your hands often and get a flu shot.  Stay home when you are sick.  If you get very sick go to a doctor.

I was the only kid in my class who didn't get "Asian Flu" in the 1957 pandemic.

I didn't get "Hong Kong Flu" in 1968 pandemic.

I didn't get Russian Flu in 1977 pandemic.

I didn't get H1N1 pdm09 in 2009 pandemic.

I've never had seasonal flu.

But my wife the MD now makes me get a flu shot anyway despite never having had the flu.