1 1
Future Jetman

Mission: Jetman

Hello to anyone who reads!

Wanted to share my story and hear some opinions on a matter of high importance to me - achieving the dream of true human flight and become one of the Jetmen.

So Im a relatively new skydiver with 160 jumps and a B licence. The dream of cruising the air was always strong with me. Almost become a military pilot and after that didnt work out, I waited to save enough for my AFF and did just that. But it all was just talk until the day I saw the first Yves Rossy Jetman video on youtube or facebook and my mind was blown. I remember showing the video to all my friends and family, telling how amazing it was to find out the humans can fly and how awesome it would be if I can fly like them too.

I strongly doubt that anyone here doesnt know what Im talking about but if you dont check the videos of the amazing Yves Rossy and his crew.

Long story short, not long ago I decided that I have to try and do anything I can to make my dream a reality and here is the problem: I dont really know how...

All I know is that Yves's team composed of the legendary Soul Flyers Vince Reffet and Fred Fugen, and soon they will add another dude from the Emirates to their ranks. What do they have in common? Yes of course, they are professional and world renowned skydiving legends and that leads me to realise that right now, the only way to become a Jetman myself is to first become a skydiving legend myself. Sounds easy right?

And here I am, a nobody in this sport with big dreams and little knowledge, humbly asking the advice of anyone that maybe has some idea what can I do?

The only idea I have right now is to find a DZ somewhere that will accept me as a cameraman and gain as much experience as I can in the air and wind tunnel. Aside from this I have no idea what to do and maybe for a time there isnt much. I know it maybe sounds like something not practical and far fetched, because it is. But I dont know.. Dream big or dont dream at all, right?

To conclude - any words of wisdom and advices will be welcome. Sorry for my broken (not native) English. Really want to hear opinions.

Blue skies :)

3 hours ago, Future Jetman said:

Hello to anyone who reads!

Wanted to share my story and hear some opinions on a matter of high importance to me - achieving the dream of true human flight and become one of the Jetmen.

So Im a relatively new skydiver with 160 jumps and a B licence. The dream of cruising the air was always strong with me. Almost become a military pilot and after that didnt work out, I waited to save enough for my AFF and did just that. But it all was just talk until the day I saw the first Yves Rossy Jetman video on youtube or facebook and my mind was blown. I remember showing the video to all my friends and family, telling how amazing it was to find out the humans can fly and how awesome it would be if I can fly like them too.

I strongly doubt that anyone here doesnt know what Im talking about but if you dont check the videos of the amazing Yves Rossy and his crew.

Long story short, not long ago I decided that I have to try and do anything I can to make my dream a reality and here is the problem: I dont really know how...

All I know is that Yves's team composed of the legendary Soul Flyers Vince Reffet and Fred Fugen, and soon they will add another dude from the Emirates to their ranks. What do they have in common? Yes of course, they are professional and world renowned skydiving legends and that leads me to realise that right now, the only way to become a Jetman myself is to first become a skydiving legend myself. Sounds easy right?

And here I am, a nobody in this sport with big dreams and little knowledge, humbly asking the advice of anyone that maybe has some idea what can I do?

The only idea I have right now is to find a DZ somewhere that will accept me as a cameraman and gain as much experience as I can in the air and wind tunnel. Aside from this I have no idea what to do and maybe for a time there isnt much. I know it maybe sounds like something not practical and far fetched, because it is. But I dont know.. Dream big or dont dream at all, right?

To conclude - any words of wisdom and advices will be welcome. Sorry for my broken (not native) English. Really want to hear opinions.

Blue skies :)

Are you independently wealthy? I'm pretty sure that is a prerequisite.

20 hours ago, Future Jetman said:

Yes of course, they are professional and world renowned skydiving legends and that leads me to realise that right now, the only way to become a Jetman myself is to first become a skydiving legend myself.

Yves was not as accomplished a skydiver as he was military pilot (and I think a degree in aeronautical engineering). I predict that this will become the rich man's wingsuit. When you have a couple of hundred jumps; you may wish to consider going to a wingsuit instructor and getting really good at it and making a name for yourself in that genre. The best person to get advice from is Yves himself. He can be reached here. Keep it short and sweet like, "What path do think is best for future Jetman pilots to take to become a Jetman themselves?"       

[email protected]

I also predict that they'll change the Jetman title in the future to be more gender neutral :)

Edited by BIGUN
grammar

Above reply is probable the best answer is probable the best. I'll bet that it's really not that fun when taken as a whole. Stop and think about the logistics of trying to fly it. You really need a tail gate. The awkwardness of it. The complexity of integrating the wing... Yes they have made some spectacular videos. I'll bet he doesn't go out and make 10 jumps a day with it just for fun with his buds.

if you really want to do this don't let any one tell you that it's impossible. In comparison to building a kit plane it's a rather small project. Don't let any one tell you that you need 10,000 jumps to fly it but 500 wing suit jumps probable wouldn't hurt.I

You could do this if you really wanted to but if this is your sole goal. I think you will become disenchanted pretty quickly. Skydiving is a broad community that offers a lot and this is about as nitch as you can get. 

Lee

7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4f0q_F-1_0

Just get one of these.This about $5 an hour. The Jetman probably $500 an hour by the time you buy, fuel and overhaul four engines.

Jetman' Yves Rossy Shows Us How to Fly His Carbon Fiber Jet Wing

I believe that with 500$, you will not go very far... 

To the original poster, remember that nothing is impossible, but you need some background.
Remember Yves was, prior to being Jetman : military jet pilot on several planes, airline pilot, skydiver (multi discipline, including skysurfing and wing suiting), hangglider and paraglider pilot, all-round "adventure type",  has good mechanical knowledge from his initial formation prior to being a pilot. Some will say he is not a "very good" skydiver, and he will say the same, but he has seen lots of different stuff, can understand stuff, knows what he doesn't now, and is always willing to learn and ponder.

Of the other Jetman, Vince and Fred, they were world champions in free flying several times, accomplished wingsuiters, BASE jumpers, true athletes, who think ahead, plan jumps and jump plans.

Other people involved in the projects (as there are different projects), have different backgrounds, but each can bring something.

So if you believe you have anything to offer, feel free to share or contact them . The worse answer you could get is a "THANKS, BUT NO THANKS". 

Thank you all for your kind responses and for taking me seriously.

I actually sent an email to Yves and got an answer few days ago (yes I maybe cried a bit from joy). He recommended for me to continue skydiving, wingsuiting and ideally to make a pilot licence as well.

I decided that for now I will just continue to fly for fun and get as many experience as I can :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Future Jetman said:

I decided that for now I will just continue to fly for fun and get as many experience as I can :)

To me, that’s a very happy ending! Enjoy the process, not just the goal. Then if you decide to change directions, it’s not a failure, it’s progress. And if you don’t change directions, you’ve still made progress 

Wendy P. 

• Like 1