billvon

Climate change denial perceptions

8 minutes ago, billvon said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

A heat index of 193F is probably very different from an actual temp of 193F, which is exactly why the NOAA doesn't list those temps in their chart, because it would be misleading to do so.

From the point of view of how it feels - probably true.  From the point of view of what it does to you physically - not so much.  

A typical steam room will be set at 110F at 100% humidity with a heat index of 278F, yet it's pretty tolerable for quite some time, even therapeutic.

No doubt.  But being in a steam room for 20 minutes is quite different from being in that environment all day.

But again, compare that to the competitor that passed out in the actual 230F sauna with 3rd degree burns in just 6 mins and died.

You will not get 3rd degree burns even with a heat index of 278F, nor will you pass out and die within 6 minutes.  Why is it so hard for you to admit that?

Edited by Coreece

9 minutes ago, Coreece said:

You will not get 3rd degree burns even with a heat index of 278F, nor will you pass out and die within 6 minutes.  Why is it so hard for you to admit that?

?? No one claimed you would get "burns."  What are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, billvon said:
11 minutes ago, Coreece said:

?? No one claimed you would get "burns."  What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the difference between the effects of higher heat index temps  (let's say 175-278F) compared to the effects of actually experiencing those real temps.

They are clearly not the same either in how they feel nor the danger they present.

37 minutes ago, Coreece said:

But again, compare that to the competitor that passed out in the actual 230F sauna with 3rd degree burns in just 6 mins and died.

I'm just happy to know that what I thought was a world problem is really just a sauna problem. Brent told me not to sweat it so now I won't.

19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
57 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I'm just happy to know that what I thought was a world problem is really just a sauna problem. Brent told me not to sweat it so now I won't.

I think the problem in this thread is that both you and Bill are clearly more intelligent than me, and that's fine I suppose - but I'm still jealous.

I've also known guys that were even more intelligent, but lacked common sense - or at least the ability apply their ideas practically or realistically.

I remember the smartest kid in high school.  He was so smart that on Chili Dog Day, he'd go up to the cafeteria counter and ask for a chili dog without chili - lol, no shit.

. . .and I understood all that, I knew where he was coming from.  But he didn't understand where I was coming from.  I told him that he could've just asked for a hot dog, but he insisted on arguing with me.  He said but it is chili dog day and I have to explicitly ask for no chili!

I just said whatever and walked away.

Here I am again 20+ years later, saying whatever, and just walking away. . .

Edited by Coreece
Had to change "hear" to "here" - it just annoys me when that happens. . .

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

I think the problem in this thread is that both you and Bill are clearly more intelligent than me, and that's fine I suppose - but I'm still jealous.

I've also known guys that were even more intelligent, but lacked common sense - or at least the ability apply their ideas practically or realistically.

I remember the smartest kid in high school.  He was so smart that on Chili Dog Day, he'd go up to the cafeteria counter and ask for a chili dog without chili - lol, no shit.

. . .and I understood all that, I knew where he was coming from.  But he didn't understand where I was coming from.  I told him that he could've just asked for a hot dog, but he insisted on arguing with me.  He said but it is chili dog day and I have to explicitly ask for no chili!

I just said whatever and walked away.

Here I am again 20+ years later, saying whatever, and just walking away. . .

That stings, I was totally the chili dog kid. If I wanted Chili on it on Hot Dog day, you need to ask, right? So, just for a diversion, maybe 40 or so years ago I stopped for breakfast at the Anderson's Split Pea Soup restaurant near Solvang, CA, if I recall correctly. I ordered two eggs over easy, sausage, potatoes and an extra egg. 5 minutes later she comes back to find out how I wanted the extra egg. Scrambled, say's I. Gotta go with the moment.

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

image.jpeg.672db7f50aa7eb572b78c96b66467ebb.jpeg

Holy shit dude, I just realized that you are like 60+ points above Billvon.  That's gotta be like some kind of special progressive liberal record!

. . . Hell even Webs has more points than Bill.  At this point, I'm thinking lower is better. 

Edited by Coreeece
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coreeece said:

Holy shit dude, I just realized that you are like 60+ points above Billvon.  That's gotta be like some kind of special progressive liberal record!

. . . Hell even Webs has more points than Bill.  At this point, I'm thinking lower is better. 

That is only since the format change. Bill is a longtime champion.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:
8 minutes ago, Coreeece said:

That is only since the format change. Bill is a longtime champion.

Well, since the change I'd say that Jakee should have the most points given that this is supposedly a forum perceived to be dominated by left leaning liberal logic.  I'm not surprised that you people even fucked that up.:p

9 minutes ago, Coreeece said:

Well, since the change I'd say that Jakee should have the most points given that this is supposedly a forum perceived to be dominated by left leaning liberal logic.  I'm not surprised that you people even fucked that up.:p

Meh....I don't put a lot of store in the dizzy score. I'm not so sure the majority is left leaning, but many of the frequent posters are. Many of the people you consider left leaning don't really feel that way.They think they are moderates in a world going madly in a direction that is all wrong. "Left leaning liberal logic"? Whenever I hear this sort of talk I like to remind the speaker that they love living in a liberal western democracy. Liberalism as been the greatest force in society since the Enlightenment.

28 minutes ago, Coreeece said:

If Jakee, or Skydekker started threads their scores might be different. Ken is really smart and good across a lot of threads so he gets a fair number of merits. I stick with SC and, only infrequently, safety or aircraft stuff.  Bill's a mod. Who doesn't want to give him a reach around? Hell, I'm amazed he's not at 1000.

40 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Many of the people you consider left leaning don't really feel that way.They think they are moderates in a world going madly in a direction that is all wrong.

Ya, I hear ya. I acknowledged that in another recent post.  Oh well.

24 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

If Jakee, or Skydekker started threads their scores might be different.

Ya, I gave dekker a few points just because he was funny as fuck.  I don't give Jakee any points, otherwise he's liable to come slapping his dick in my face telling me to suck it,  hahahaha.:p

11 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ya, I hear ya. I acknowledged that in another recent post.  Oh well.

Ya, I gave dekker a few points just because he was funny as fuck.  I don't give Jakee any points, otherwise he's liable to come slapping his dick in my face telling me to suck it,  hahahaha.:p

Which is is . . . are you going to be light purple or dark purple?

1 point or 82 points 

2 Es or 3 Es - 

Make up your mind!!!;P

4 hours ago, kallend said:

"From a certain point of view"; Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I love that.  When the point of view glosses over Obi-Wan having cut off Luke's father's legs and left him to die after he slaughtered a ton of children with that lightsaber he said he wanted Luke to have....

https://www.starwars.com/video/a-certain-point-of-view

Edited by DJL

22 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

If Jakee, or Skydekker started threads their scores might be different. Ken is really smart and good across a lot of threads so he gets a fair number of merits. I stick with SC and, only infrequently, safety or aircraft stuff.  Bill's a mod. Who doesn't want to give him a reach around? Hell, I'm amazed he's not at 1000.

It is not the total number of merits, it is the ratio of merits to posts.  Do the math and Bill doesn't look so good.

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It is not the total number of merits, it is the ratio of merits to posts.  Do the math and Bill doesn't look so good.

Here we go again. Lies, damned lies, and now statistics. Bill's post count is from the beginning of the forums. His rep score is only from the beginning of the new format.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Here we go again. Lies, damned lies, and now statistics. Bill's post count is from the beginning of the forums. His rep score is only from the beginning of the new format.

As the estimable Turtle has observed, if'n you ain't including the paleolithic you ain't doing good arithmetic. Brent, I'm thinking you are best off staying in your federally subsidized hangar, using your jet fuel user fee paid for taxiway's and landing on your local tax payer subsidized parachute landing area's and avoiding these sorts of discussions. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Are you bothering Brenthutch with facts again?