sheeks

A, B, C, and D lines on a spectre

So I was reading online, that 7-cells only have 3 instead of 4 of these lines. But when flaking, I count 4 of each. I was wondering if I should actually only be bringing the innermost 3 to the center of the packjob, and leaving the fourth outermost line on the outside?  Maybe what I read was just a generalization, but not sure

A 7-cell rectangular canopy will have four of each suspension line type on each side - for instance, you have 8 A-lines, total, four of them left and four of them right. An elliptical model might have fewer D lines than A lines (I *think* that's what you were reading about). This varies from canopy model to model - Spectres do have four D lines on each side, however.

You should be putting all of each line type into the center of your packjob, as much as possible - the more you've got lines creeping toward the outer edges of your pack job, the more you are inviting the still-slim possibility of a line over, since things can get further disrupted as you begin rolling the tail during your pro pack. So you would never want to intentionally leave a line out there...

Edited by betzilla
typos
  • Like 1

The As, Bs, Cs & Ds are the lines from front to back. As & Bs on front riser, Cs & Ds on rear.

7 vs 9 cell won't matter for that.

However, you will only have 3 'flakes' for a 7 cell, vs 4 for a 9 cell. 

So you will still have 4 line groups, with 3 sets of flakes.
It's just that each 'flake group' will only have 3 folds of fabric, and 3 lines each. 

15 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The As, Bs, Cs & Ds are the lines from front to back. As & Bs on front riser, Cs & Ds on rear.

7 vs 9 cell won't matter for that.

However, you will only have 3 'flakes' for a 7 cell, vs 4 for a 9 cell. 

So you will still have 4 line groups, with 3 sets of flakes.
It's just that each 'flake group' will only have 3 folds of fabric, and 3 lines each. 

So you’re saying that it’s fine to leave the outmost line off to the side, and it’s mostly important that I keep the inner three into the center as possible? Because it seems like that would make things easier

11 hours ago, sheeks said:

So you’re saying that it’s fine to leave the outmost line off to the side, and it’s mostly important that I keep the inner three into the center as possible? Because it seems like that would make things easier

All lines should be in the centre as much as possible. The outside lines are more difficult to place completely in the centre because they are sewn to the stabilizers. So yes, they will often wander off a little bit. On a 7 cell canopy shaped like a Spectre there will be 8 each of A,B,C,and D lines. Four go to one side and four to the other. It is acceptable to let the outside lines be a little outside.

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

All lines should be in the centre as much as possible. The outside lines are more difficult to place completely in the centre because they are sewn to the stabilizers. So yes, they will often wander off a little bit. On a 7 cell canopy shaped like a Spectre there will be 8 each of A,B,C,and D lines. Four go to one side and four to the other. It is acceptable to let the outside lines be a little outside.

Ah understandable, cool that all makes sense then