1 1
robertmdrew

Closing sequence on a Curv

Hello all,

I have a new Curv. When practicing packing it and then opening it again, it seems that it takes a great deal of force to pull the pin when bridle is routed traditionally from top right to bottom. Not because of a tight closing loop, but it seems that the bridle gets hung up on the very angular/sharp lower corner of the right flap, just below the pin. I can even lift the rig off the ground by the bridle before there's enough force for it to open. Is this normal? It's clear to me that it's sort of hung up and loading that sharp corner of the flap. It takes somewhat less force to open when the bridle is routed from the bottom of the container. Am i overanalyzing? Thoughts? Thanks!

• Like 1

Just for fun, I did an experiment with my rig (curv, mfg late 2018) I use the alternate closing method on page 24,25. My bridle is perfectly free and clear when I pull it straight up, no perceptible drag at all. I did it with the pin protection flap in place and without just to see what was going on, no difference.

You could post a pic here and others could comment, but I’d call/contact RI, ask them for advice.

I'm also having a hard time visualizing your issue

Curv 1.0 2015. Main has been packed for almost 4 months so not as springy. My guesstimate is 1-2lbs to pop the pin in both configuration. The amount of bridle under the right flap doesn't make a difference for the required force to extract the pin. 

IMG_20200218_161345.thumb.jpg.bac5971f15cc3da69401987ea139f396.jpgIMG_20200218_161538.thumb.jpg.c10d3fa6d4f06cbc4641119da763ed59.jpgIMG_20200218_161730.thumb.jpg.06d34d6f8d78ecd2f84d9edcfa251fd5.jpg

Looks like the Curv in the pictures above is a ver 1.0, which has rounded corners on the end tabs of the side flaps. The ver 2.0 Curv has sharper lower corners, which I think is what you're referring to. That, in conjunction with the vertical end of the metal loop that's sewn inside of the end tab can create a scenario where there's tension which could inhibit the bridle sliding around it to pull the pin. A solution is to leave some slack in the bridle when tucking it under that corner so that it can freely move around it.

Here's a video of what's occurring. Maybe i'm wrong and this is normal required opening force? It has opened without hesitation on the 30 jumps i've put on this new container. Just seemed to me that I shouldn't be able to lift it off the ground by the bridle? It's definitely not a tight closing loop- the pin moves freely and easily as it should.

Interesting video. Here is a pic of my closed rig. I use the alternate closing method and don't tuck the bridle in under that corner. 2EC92B7A-9108-4ACD-BE8D-2E7AEA7D2BD1.thumb.jpeg.b8154abf2d094f17b1a4bd6874cdfbf3.jpeg I think I like the alternate method even more. Notice the lower corner of my flap, it has a slight bend. Rig has about 200 jumps on it. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 7:40 PM, robertmdrew said:

Thanks. Yeah, I've read that portion of the manual and tested it out both ways/routed it as they suggest. I was just surprised that I can lift the rig off the floor by the bridle before it pulls the pin and noticed that it's because it's catching that sharp corner.

I've noticed this as well packing a friend's Curv one time.  One of the reasons I don't jump a Curv :)

• Like 1

After watching the video I would call this a non-issue. First of all you have to stand in front of the yoke and pull in an unnatural direction to make it happen. Secondly the rig does not actually come off the ground, the back of it just lifts a little, and you have to pull carefully and slow to make it happen. Your P?C generates about 70 lbs of pull force at terminal. That said, it should be easy to tell if it is having a real effect at deployment time. If it is catching, the 30 jumps or so you have done will be enough to show some friction wear either on the bridle or the tape on the flap. If there is damage happening at these points I would contact RI about it.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 2

Looks like a non-issue as gowlerk indicates but there is a better solution than crowd sourcing internet rig advice.  What I would do, were I concerned, I would get off the internet and call RI, send them the video, discuss what you perceive is the issue.  This forum is no place to get real answers, go to the manufacturer.  Sandy, Brenda, Salena, and the rest of the RI Curv gurus are very approachable and always interested in ensuring any issue with their gear is sorted out.  Go to the the source, get off the friggin' internet...    

• Like 1

Back when I worked at RI, if you could pick the complete rig up - off the floor - by the bridle, the closing loop was too tight.

Truth be told, no-one can close rigs that tight by hand. 

Even with a variety of tools, I might be able to pull 40 pounds (pull-up cord) to close a tight reserve, but reserve ripcord-pin pull force rarely exceeds 22 pounds. I really struggle to close a reserve too tight to pass the 22 pound test. ... as per Federal Aviation Administration Technical Standard Order C-23B and all later versions.