1 1
kallend

Promises kept

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

It is simple - Post an article that shows the willingness to cooperate.

I showed one where the they vow not to.

I misunderstood the point you were apparently trying to make.

Ok and? That's the new normal. That's the precedent now. This is the bar the GOP has set.

This is the entire point I have been making for days now - you had a party trying to do the right thing, and a party taking almost every opportunity to do the right thing by themselves above all else.

Now the "good" party has started considering playing the same game (and has barely even done anything in that vein yet).

So. Fucking. What.

You CANNOT get mad or huffy or indignant with the dem's about a change in that direction, they're just meeting the other player on their level. If you're mad, direct it at the GOP. Stop being a hypocrite.

7 hours ago, mistercwood said:

This is the entire point I have been making for days now - you had a party trying to do the right thing, and a party taking almost every opportunity to do the right thing by themselves above all else.

Now the "good" party has started considering playing the same game (and has barely even done anything in that vein yet).

See, I like you cwood, but this shit is beneath you.  It's just so vague with too much weasel room.

What does it mean to do the "right thing?"  What do you mean by the "good" party?  Compared to Trump?  Nice standard.

What does it mean to play the "same game," to do the "wrong thing?"

If I posted what I really think you meant, I'd be met my multiple posters saying, nah you're misinterpreting that!  That's not what I meant!  We're just talking about being bombastic!  Whatabout Redmap?!!  We're not talking about really sinking down to Trump's level, just a little harsh verbiage to shake him up bit - maybe a negative political attack ad would be nice.   See we're not doing just like he does, so you can't call us hypocrites, you liar!

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

See, I like you cwood, but this shit is beneath you.  It's just so vague with too much weasel room.

What does it mean to do the "right thing?"  What do you mean by the "good" party?  Compared to Trump?  Nice standard.

What does it mean to play the "same game," to do the "wrong thing?"

If I posted what I really think you meant, I'd be met my multiple posters saying, nah you're misinterpreting that!  That's not what I meant!  We're just talking about being bombastic!  Whatabout Redmap?!!  We're not talking about really sinking down to Trump's level, just a little harsh verbiage to shake him up bit - maybe a negative political attack ad would be nice.   See we're not doing just like he does, so you can't call us hypocrites, you liar!

I'm not being intentionally broad, I promise you, and I can see your point. I don't often engage on SC purely because it's so damned hard to have a decent debate, and a lot of the players here aren't even arguing in good faith.

My point about the "good" party and doing the "right thing", is that you have two parties. Beyond the general griminess of business-as-usual politics, one of those parties has a track record going back well over a decade now of doing anything it takes to win. Not to represent the public interest, but to win, no matter what. The other party is absolutely not immune from that same fuckery, but the scale and levels of declared intent just don't compare.

The thing is, only the "good" party gets held accountable. When one of theirs gets caught doing the wrong thing, they get (generally) black-balled by their own people, if they don't fall on their sword to save face. Al Franken got turfed for a photo where he wasn't even doing what he was accused of - it was still out of line, but he never touched the woman.

The other party ran a guy (Moore) who has been credibly accused of being a sexual predator, with the party supporting him the whole way along. And he damn near still won.

So the expectations are not remotely the same. One party gets the "oh boys will be boys" treatment and the other one gets "you should smile more so people will like you". It's fucked. It's hypocritical bullshit and I'm tired of it. But I will never tire of telling people they're being hypocritical shitbags every time they hold one party to a higher standard than the other.

The Dem's could sink as low as Trump now and that would be a travesty, but again - when one player spends every second ignoring the rules, what is the point in the other player trying to continue? There isn't even a game at that point.