1 1
brenthutch

What are we going to talk about now?

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Listens to the tuba, of course.  It has brought them . . . slightly less joy.

I wanted to play the trumpet and my old man bought me 3 years of accordion lessons and an accordion. I made damn sure the suffering was fairly divided.

Just now, JoeWeber said:

I wanted to play the trumpet and my old man bought me 3 years of accordion lessons and an accordion. I made damn sure the suffering was fairly divided.

"Welcome to heaven  - here's your harp."
"Welcome to hell - here's your accordion."

On 2/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, turtlespeed said:

I suppose I'm trying to get to what the level of not needing government assistance looks like to you.

Funny you think you can get to that level without government assistance, unless of course you were truly independent of the government.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:
9 hours ago, Coreece said:

Funny you think you can get to that level without government assistance, unless of course you were truly independent of the government.

I don't think you quite grasp the topic of conversation.

I was trying to do one of those deep slow-thought Turtlisms, but it didn't work.

What I mean is that I don't think anyone can achieve enormous levels of financial success/independence without government assistance.  The internet for example created ample opportunity for excessive financial gains, but we need the government to allow the maintenance the web's infrastructure.

And even if you use a decentralized ctypto currency rather than that of a government regulated one, you still need access to that online infrastructure.

But ya, I know all that is kind of obvious.

21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I was trying to do one of those deep slow-thought Turtlisms, but it didn't work.

What I mean is that I don't think anyone can achieve enormous levels of financial success/independence without government assistance.  The internet for example created ample opportunity for excessive financial gains, but we need the government to allow the maintenance the web's infrastructure.

And even if you use a decentralized ctypto currency rather than that of a government regulated one, you still need access to that online infrastructure.

But ya, I know all that is kind of obvious.

I picked up what you were laying down, my brotha'.

The government assistance that we were discussing was Medicare, Medicaid, and welfare.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:27 PM, billvon said:

So you are saying that the only reason people want lots of money is for hookers and blow (or similarly banal pursuits) and no one has higher aspirations for their money?  Wow.  I am glad there are people who don't hold that opinion; if you thought about it, you would be too.

it's not an opinion, it's from a study i read and i believe i mentioned that.  no it is not for hookers and blow, nor is it for anything other than having it just for the sake of having it, which is what hoarding is.  i know it is introducing a concept that is hard to understand, but you should go read about it before commenting on it, as you are obviously about as far off the mark here as it is possible to get.  i really wish i could find the link to this, but don't care enough about educating you to bother to try.  you seem like a smart fellow, you can find it yourself.

7 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

it's not an opinion, it's from a study i read . . . .

Ah, well, then no further debate!  A study said so.

no it is not for hookers and blow . . .

So you . . . agree with me.

nor is it for anything other than having it just for the sake of having it, which is what hoarding is

Do you have any examples of people who have more than ten million dollars and do not do anything with it other than hoard it?  Surely if there's a study, you can produce a great many examples.

38 minutes ago, billvon said:

Do you have any examples of people who have more than ten million dollars and do not do anything with it other than hoard it?  Surely if there's a study, you can produce a great many examples.

Only one comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmjiCoZ6e4

16 hours ago, billvon said:

you're just being an ass now, and i get that, you do you.  i don't generally form opinions on things i don't care about, and this is one of them.  g'day.

12 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Does that mean condescending and pretentious?

no, it means being an ass.  i do it also, used to be real bad but this political thing i've taken on has really taught me a lot.  i like being surrounded by smart folks, but since i am pretty smart and live in wv, that is something i don't get to do a lot.  this is a close substitute, and reddit (some subs).