1 1
brenthutch

What are we going to talk about now?

6 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I think his point is "what type of person would you be if you felt the need to aquire billions of dollars in personal wealth?"  Seems on the political front that's all we get to choose from anymore.

That may apply to the likes of Trump who clearly considers wealth to be a measure of the value of a person.

I don't think Gates, Jobs, Bezos or Musk set out with the primary goal of amassing a fortune.

17 minutes ago, kallend said:

That may apply to the likes of Trump who clearly considers wealth to be a measure of the value of a person.

I don't think Gates, Jobs, Bezos or Musk set out with the primary goal of amassing a fortune.

Bloomberg wasn't mentioned - and I believe that was on purpose.

The 4 you mentioned aren't running for office.

B-berg obviously was, and is, out for wealth.

If there was a mirror - Trump could look in and see Bloomberg looking back.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

"First do no harm".

I'd vote for Jobs before I'd vote for Trump.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Except that Bloomberg actually earned and personally made his riches.

He created his company and built it, all from a middle class start.

That mirror has never seen Trump's face.

Non-stop flow of misinformation and disinformation is killing me!

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

A rich and successful one.  Which means you must  . . . hate him?

Not hate...why does it always have to be so extreme.  I question what motivates someone to aquire that much wealth...more than could possibly be spent in a lifetime of hookers and blow. ;P  I think it's somewhat of a character flaw.  Greed doesn't really explain it.  It's beyond that.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:08 AM, airdvr said:

Not hate...why does it always have to be so extreme. 

You just called a rich guy a "twisted cruel fucktard" and you are now asking why people say extreme things?

I question what motivates someone to aquire that much wealth...more than could possibly be spent in a lifetime of hookers and blow. 

Perhaps some people have priorities beyond hookers and blow?

16 hours ago, billvon said:

Perhaps some people have priorities beyond hookers and blow?

not really, it's a symptom of a psychological problem similar to hoarding.  i read a study on it a few years ago while studying for a thesis.  it wasn't part of the topic so i don't have it saved, it was one of the sidetracks i always end up on when researching.  shouldn't be too hard to confirm though. 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, turtlespeed said:

Yes - BUT . . . and here is where that kind of thinking an mine differ . . . I wouldn't amass that much.

I will keep enough that my holdings are just 3% above self sustaining, along with a moderate lifestyle.

I don't need 3 houses, or two houses and summer camp. (Only for rentals and real estate investment)

I will have enough to give my daughter a nice nest egg when I'm gone. ( Not more than she can currently earn in 5 years.) 

She will have to work for her way in life.

Everything else will be split between 4 charities I currently contribute to.

Poverty is a condition, not a virtue. When you have little money it means food and shelter. When you have wealth that can withstand a periodic disruption of your income stream or the lessening in real value of your holdings it becomes less like a thing and more like a battery that stores opportunity.  For me that means experiences, travel and learning new things, for others it means rocket ships. It's good for all of us that our system makes both possible.

I never aspired to amass generational wealth but I have always had a laser like focus on not being old and poor no matter what happens and with no reliance on a government program. To me that's enough.

49 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I never aspired to amass generational wealth but I have always had a laser like focus on not being old and poor no matter what happens and with no reliance on a government program. To me that's enough.

I think you and I agree on that.

Would you say that will take you - say, what 100Million?

15 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

not really, it's a symptom of a psychological problem similar to hoarding. 

So you are saying that the only reason people want lots of money is for hookers and blow (or similarly banal pursuits) and no one has higher aspirations for their money?  Wow.  I am glad there are people who don't hold that opinion; if you thought about it, you would be too.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

roughly 250K

O.K., to me that is the base minimum to protect one family member from a health catastrophe if the member has health insurance. That money would never be touched. So a couple would need $500K stashed, minimum. To that start adding a certain number of years living expenses. To that add whatever amount of money you'd need for those life's pleasures that are important to you. I wouldn't add any expected income from the money. That should get you to your number, mine might be different.

8 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

O.K., to me that is the base minimum to protect one family member from a health catastrophe if the member has health insurance. That money would never be touched. So a couple would need $500K stashed, minimum. To that start adding a certain number of years living expenses. To that add whatever amount of money you'd need for those life's pleasures that are important to you. I wouldn't add any expected income from the money. That should get you to your number, mine might be different.

I'm working on getting those goals achieved.

This is just the amount, after expected taxes, that I think I should leave for my daughter when I pass.

This will likely change as economic changes are realized.

39 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm working on getting those goals achieved.

This is just the amount, after expected taxes, that I think I should leave for my daughter when I pass.

This will likely change as economic changes are realized.

It's your loot but at that level I'd leave her the whole pile. Or maybe split it 50/50 so she'll remember you. Half in cash and half in Tuba lessons.