1 1
brenthutch

What are we going to talk about now?

31 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

well that is just plain wrong in most cases.  like the technology moving rapidly part toward the end.  yes it is, and it is also leading to a scarcity of the rare earth metals needed to perpetuate the throw away society we have moved toward in the last 50 years.  the only excuse for replacing a cell phone in less that 5 years is so the company can make more money off of you.  the industry (can't recall specifics right now, but mainly drink manufacturers coke and pepsi) did away with recycling bottles in the '80s and we haven't looked back since, except for them to put the burden of keeping the planet in good shape with the consumers.  so, they make more money and destroy the planet and we get blamed because we don't recycle enough.  then every other industry jumps on board and we get single use everything and plastic micro particles infusing every organism on the planet and we still don't know the long term health effects.  nice job, capitalism.

I have a friend - Old as time itself, that has a blood issue due to chemicals and plastics.

Hearing about his issue and reading and learning what little there is about it - is what helped me cross over to the side of trying to clean up our mess.

In the back of my mind, I always wondered why we didn't keep using the recyclable containers.

Well, maybe not "Always" but it crossed my mind.  A lot more as of late.

Edited by turtlespeed

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I have a friend - Old as time itself, that has a blood issue due to chemicals and plastics.

Hearing about his issue and reading and learning what little there is about it - is what helped me cross over to the side of trying to clean up our mess.

In the back of my mind, I always wondered why we didn't keep using the recyclable containers.

Well, maybe not "Always" but it crossed my mind.  A lot more as of late.

i read an article that i wish i had kept that said it was due to the industry trying to make more money and having no regard for the issues it caused.  if i find it i will post it.  it was several months ago and i read a lot.

2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i read an article that i wish i had kept that said it was due to the industry trying to make more money and having no regard for the issues it caused.  if i find it i will post it.  it was several months ago and i read a lot.

That has the right feel to it - 

I'd like to see something confirming it though.

52 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Rare earth metals are neither scarce nor rare. They are just difficult to concentrate.

if it is something we cannot get readily and cheaply, then it is indeed scarce.  difficult to concentrate is another word for saying "hard to get" which also means "scarce".  maybe not exactly, but close enough to be a synonym.  not to mention that they are very hard to recycle. 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, normiss said:

Maybe the thing we will now talk about will be the first POTUS in history to face a second round of impeachment charges.

He appears to be doing all he can to earn them.

Like he gives a shit. The Republican Party have proven that they’ll back him no matter what.

This is what happens if you tell a criminal they can do whatever they want.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

if it is something we cannot get readily and cheaply, then it is indeed scarce.  difficult to concentrate is another word for saying "hard to get" which also means "scarce".  maybe not exactly, but close enough to be a synonym.  not to mention that they are very hard to recycle. 

Just to argue a little - Moon rocks are hard to get, but there are a LOT of them - so . . . . scarcity is only on a local level.

:halo:

2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

I guess my real point is that we will not run out. Even if China decides to cut us off. If the price gets higher the market will fill the demand.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Just to argue a little - Moon rocks are hard to get, but there are a LOT of them - so . . . . scarcity is only on a local level.

:halo:

If we are going to argue.....rolls up sleeves.....economic scarcity refers to the gap between limited resources and theoretically limitless wants. It really doesn't have anything to do with locality.

Maybe if we get into the social psychology meaning of scarcity can we get to the term having to do with locality, but the locality becomes your brain....

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

I got points on my license for speeding.  However, a presidential pardon wipes the slate clean.

Why were you breaking the law? 

Did you think you could get away with it, that it was not important for you to follow, or, maybe, that you just knew better than those that set the law in place?  Perhaps you just didn't care enough about following the law to bother.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Based on the recent actions of our self-styled "chief law enforcement officer", bribery and fraud are now no more serious than traffic tickets.

Discuss.

nothing to discuss.  pay the re-election campaign of the mango mussolini enough money and get what you want. 

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

You mean like when Bill met Loretta Lynch?

Whatever nonsense statement that meets your needs is good enough apparently. You know damn well that's an absurd comparison. You must also know, or at least by now you should know, it'll get hammered. Why not simply be honest? Simply state the truth which is that as long as you are getting yours you do not give a fuck what happens to anyone else? Set yourself free.