1 1
brenthutch

What are we going to talk about now?

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Bees are a great topic for the Bonfire. Unless you are planning some kind of attack killer bee colony maybe not here in SC.

Speakers Corner

A Soap Box in Cyber Space. This is the place to discuss politics, guns, religion and any other topic you feel the need to address from your soap box. Debates may get heated in here but the forum rules apply as everywhere else.   ANY!!! ;) 

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Be it Highways, Internet, Health Care, Police and Fire or Airports, such is the ardent hope of governments everywhere. You are welcome, comrade.

You are looking at this as black and white - Brent is right.  If he left the airport, likely the businesses that he drew in would leave.  There wouldn't be a large chunk of revenue for the airport to reap.  Interest would die off.  Likely the airport would close or have to charge the remaining occupants a much higher fee to make up for it.

I assume that Brent is willing to pay to play - as it is convenient, not the only option.

Brent is, in fact, subsidizing the airport, in this case.

No matter how much you don't want that to be true, it is.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Likely the airport would close or have to charge the remaining occupants a much higher fee to make up for it.

The airport was there before the dz and it will be there after the dz is done. The county who owns it gets federal money and it exists to serve the GA community and to give those who can afford aircraft a place to land. The only time airports like this close is if the land becomes so valuable that local developers find a way to bribe local politicians to sell it to them.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

You are looking at this as black and white - Brent is right.  If he left the airport, likely the businesses that he drew in would leave.  There wouldn't be a large chunk of revenue for the airport to reap.  Interest would die off.  Likely the airport would close or have to charge the remaining occupants a much higher fee to make up for it.

I assume that Brent is willing to pay to play - as it is convenient, not the only option.

Brent is, in fact, subsidizing the airport, in this case.

No matter how much you don't want that to be true, it is.

Turtle, you make too many assumptions. Excepting piece rate TI's and packers I doubt SDHV has drawn any businesses to the Airport. Further, paying tens of thousands to the airport over 15 years does not confer cash cow status. It's nothing money that doesn't dent the operating costs must less the construction costs. 

I own an Airport. There is nothing cheap about it. Just sealcoating a 3000' runway is $25K and that lasts 2-3 years. Paving repairs, general upkeep, property taxes and on and on add a hell of a lot more to the bill.

Simply, you need to not factor in construction costs and all ongoing operating costs not to mention the opportunity cost of not using that value in a more profitable investment.

Only governments do that. So no, you and Brent are both wrong. It's a huge subsidy. Understand, I'm not opposed to the subsidy at all. I believe the government is smart to support GA in America. But just because someones conservative values make admitting that impossible does not make it false.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:06 AM, JoeWeber said:

Turtle, you make too many assumptions. Excepting piece rate TI's and packers I doubt SDHV has drawn any businesses to the Airport. Further, paying tens of thousands to the airport over 15 years does not confer cash cow status. It's nothing money that doesn't dent the operating costs must less the construction costs. 

I own an Airport. There is nothing cheap about it. Just sealcoating a 3000' runway is $25K and that lasts 2-3 years. Paving repairs, general upkeep, property taxes and on and on add a hell of a lot more to the bill.

Simply, you need to not factor in construction costs and all ongoing operating costs not to mention the opportunity cost of not using that value in a more profitable investment.

Only governments do that. So no, you and Brent are both wrong. It's a huge subsidy. Understand, I'm not opposed to the subsidy at all. I believe the government is smart to support GA in America. But just because someones conservative values make admitting that impossible does not make it false.

i've not yet heard of anyone seal coating our runway and i doubt that brent would have his done either, as, correct me if i'm wrong brent, they're both grass.  saves a lot on the maintenance also.  in fact, i thought he was talking about my dz until he put the date in there. 

On 2/6/2020 at 8:57 PM, timski said:

Bee keeping, I'd really like to discuss bee keeping! Any fellow keepers lurking? 

I dove into it last spring for the 1st time, and honestly, it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever immersed myself in. I can be frequently heard saying "I don't ever see myself not keeping bees in the future"!    

my fiance's cousin has bees.  he invited us up to visit in the spring when they start moving around.  some of the best honey i ever had.  i plan on a hive when i move onto my property in a little while.

(edited)
1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

i've not yet heard of anyone seal coating our runway and i doubt that brent would have his done either, as, correct me if i'm wrong brent, they're both grass.  saves a lot on the maintenance also.  in fact, i thought he was talking about my dz until he put the date in there. 

Hell no. It's a really nice little county airport!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mifflin_County_Airport

https://www.skydivehappyvalley.com/

You are right about one thing though, Brent has never seal coated the runway. Or done any other maintenance. The government pays all of those costs through taxation of the people!

Edited by gowlerk

i mistook the part where he mentioned the grass being mowed that it was a grass runway.  that is what ours is, and it has no atc, and the control tower is a house.  great place to jump, they have a bar, restaurant and campground right there.  not sure if they get faa money or not, probably a little. 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:44 PM, JoeWeber said:

You are being subsidized. You are benefitting from infrastructure paid for by the government for some reason that did not envision you. Get real, Brent, you are on the tit. There's no shame it that anymore than when you spend your food stamps. It's just how we all help each other.

Government doesn't pay for anything.  They simply redistribute our money.  You're only on the tit if you aren't a functioning member of the society that produces the money the government redistributes.  Something liberals seem to have a difficult time understanding.

• Like 1

it's not the liberals that have a hard time understanding, it's that the conservatives don't understand how to take care of anything except themselves.  i am very liberal.  i understand what social responsibility is, and that if you want to be a member of it, then you have to put something back instead of just taking.  taxes are one way, and when corporations avoid them, we all lose.  volunteering in the community and voting are two other ways.  another way folks forget about is just following the rules, like stopping at stop signs and taking turns.  you can see that some people look out for themselves first while others look out for others first. 

34 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

it's not the liberals that have a hard time understanding, it's that the conservatives don't understand how to take care of anything except themselves.  i am very liberal.  i understand what social responsibility is, and that if you want to be a member of it, then you have to put something back instead of just taking.  taxes are one way, and when corporations avoid them, we all lose.  volunteering in the community and voting are two other ways.  another way folks forget about is just following the rules, like stopping at stop signs and taking turns.  you can see that some people look out for themselves first while others look out for others first. 

I ride a big bagger Harley - a lot. I look out for everyone to ensure we're both safe. So, am I a conservative or a liberal. 

(edited)

probably conservative, but i am not going to use that as an insult, just that most harley riders i know are conservatives.  i ride a lot too, but it's a shadow ace with loud pipes.  needs a new battery.  the stop sign analogy is just to identify givers and takers.  some give the right of way even if they don't have to, some take it even if they don't have it.  some people naturally hold the door, some naturally go in first.  it's not hard to sit around and determine who is who.  i used to do that a lot when i lived on the beach, sit in bars and people watch.  i figured that if everyone saved up all year long just to come visit me, the least i could do is pay attention to them.

now, for the truly important question, what about them bees?

Edited by sfzombie13
forgot the bees

52 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

I get what you're saying...but being a functioning member of society and contributing means you're not on the government tit.  Nor does being on Social Security.  I know some of you will dispute the SS claim, but it's an agreement between the government and the people to pay in to a system that was supposed to take care of you when you retire.  Retiring on SS is not being on the tit.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Government doesn't pay for anything.  They simply redistribute our money.  You're only on the tit if you aren't a functioning member of the society that produces the money the government redistributes.  Something liberals seem to have a difficult time understanding.

Does that include redistributing borrowed money? And what constitutes a functioning member of society? Would a single working mother in subsidized housing who also receives food stamps be considered functioning?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Does that include redistributing borrowed money? And what constitutes a functioning member of society? Would a single working mother in subsidized housing who also receives food stamps be considered functioning?

Nice try with the attempt to make the post sexist.  Why does it have to be a woman?  Does this fictional person have a job?  Are they paying taxes?

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Nice try with the attempt to make the post sexist.  Why does it have to be a woman?  Does this fictional person have a job?  Are they paying taxes?

Did you read the post? Single working mother. Make it single working father, if that helps.

12 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I would say no...not on the tit.

So you must have a percentage that triggers the definition. What if his earnings only account for 25% of his total income package?

What about if the income subsidies are paid with borrowed money? You know, money some poor schmuck in the future will pay off. 

39 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I get that you're trying to bait me but I'm not gonna bite.

Call it what you want but you can't answer because don't have an answer that fits you held views. It's the conservative fallacy at work, again. 

Your post was simply in complete error. In fact the government does pay for things and it does not always pay for things with our own money. Then you find yourself unable to define your own term, functioning, in any meaningful way. It's super easy to say those things but unless you can effectively defend the statement, and you have not, then the proposition has been falsified.