1 1
brenthutch

State of the Union

On 2/15/2020 at 4:17 AM, ryoder said:

Did you read the article?

Once enough states have entered into the agreement to cover 270+ EC votes, each state assigns all of its EC votes to the winner of the nationwide popular vote. At this point the EC winner will be the popular winner, and the EC becomes nothing but a formality which confirms the popular vote.

I actually had not. My apologies, it looks like a very good idea and a really interesting concept. Thanks for bringing it up!

1 hour ago, jakee said:

I actually had not. My apologies, it looks like a very good idea and a really interesting concept. Thanks for bringing it up!

Instead of State - They should go by county.

Counties all get one vote.  State tallies up the vote - then there are 50 EC votes.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Instead of State - They should go by county.

Counties all get one vote.  State tallies up the vote - then there are 50 EC votes.

You want to fix the unfairness inherent in the EC by massively, massively amplifying the unfairness inherent in the EC?

2 hours ago, jakee said:

You want to fix the unfairness inherent in the EC by massively, massively amplifying the unfairness inherent in the EC?

Of course he does.

One of the 'facts' Rs like to tout is how many counties voted for Trump.

The simple fact that the population of many of those counties is insignificant is something they conveniently ignore. 

The idea that a state like Vermont or Wyoming should have the 'same vote' as California, New York or Texas is ludicrous. 

On 2/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Of course he does.

One of the 'facts' Rs like to tout is how many counties voted for Trump.

The simple fact that the population of many of those counties is insignificant is something they conveniently ignore. 

The idea that a state like Vermont or Wyoming should have the 'same vote' as California, New York or Texas is ludicrous. 

That is the very reason for the EC. It is designed to prevent the tyranny of the majority. 

32 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

My interpretation of it was that is was mainly a compromise ensuring the power of the elites.

You are correct but it was also a compromise between small states and large states. It is the same reason that we have two senators for each state.  Ironically, if the EC still functioned as originally intended, Trump would have never become president as it was designed to prevent the rabble from having a voice.  

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

My interpretation of it was that is was mainly a compromise ensuring the power of the elites.

From reading Madison’s notes, this is a far more accurate interpretation. The founding fathers were British in upbringing, in a time when class really mattered. They didn’t want to perpetuate that, but they didn’t want to ensure the (quotes mine) “rule of an illiterate rabble.”  Remember that in those days, the House of Commons didn’t have nearly as much power as Lords, and that was perfectly normal to them. 

My reading of it was that the EC was brought in to ensure that the “wrong” candidate didn’t win  

Wendy P. 

34 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

;PHe Can't.

:E

He'd have to vote.^.^

:tongue:

Sorry - I just couldn't stop myself.

Wow, I just looked up his home DZ, in Switzerland???  I am going to start opining on raclette now.

I think the raclette served in Chamonix is superior to that greasy crap I got in Zurich. ;P 

Edited by brenthutch