1 1
brenthutch

State of the Union

7 hours ago, mistercwood said:

Bullshit. Clinton is/was a sleazebag but he didn't make literally millions of dollars by pissing off to his own hotels every weekend and charging taxpayers for it (as one very basic, very brief example).

Trump has broken every norm of the office he holds since most of them aren't actual official rules, because everyone knew that this just isn't how things are supposed to be done.

Actually Trump net worth has plummeted https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/02/trump-forbes-400-spot-tumbles-as-net-worth-declines.html

While the Clintons and Obamas made millions. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/net-worths-of-presidents/

That is not to say that Trump isn't trying to make money off of his time as president, he is just very bad at it.

55 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The headline is wrong. The number one reason listed is that (as everyone kinda knew anyway) Trump was never actually as rich as he said he was. The difference is that people are actually now fact checking him instead of taking his word. His reported net worth has tumbled, his actual net worth not so much. The second reason for the decline was the general real estate climate. So think how much poorer he’d be if he wasn’t gouging the office for profit.

”While the Clintons and Obamas made millions. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/net-worths-of-presidents/

Not while President. The fact that they made millions afterwards from book deals is entirely separate from profiteering in office. It just means that people like them and are interested in what they have to say.

8 hours ago, TriGirl said:

It's called leading by example, and respecting the office.  He does neither.

Correct.  Now Pelosi - who has been in office MUCH longer than Trump is now following his lead.

Thats Bull, unless she is showing her true colors now.

I want the "Presidential" image back - 

If we can't be rid of Trump for another 4 years - then by all means - at LEAST be better than him.

He will be gone soon.

20 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

By ripping up the documents she showed the world she couldnt control her temper.

You can’t have it both ways. How hard is this to get?

It’s EITHER an uncontrolled action OR a planned one. The two are mutually exclusive. 
You’re the only person who seems not to understand this simple concept.

30 minutes ago, yoink said:

It’s EITHER an uncontrolled action OR a planned one. The two are mutually exclusive. 

It was planned to look like an uncontrolled action. Totally tricking our turtle as he peered out from his shell at the screen.

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi jakee,

I am absolutely convinced this is why he will not release his taxes.

He simply has no where near the money that he would like to have.

Jerry Baumchen

When Germany, funded by Russia, is the ONLY place you can get a loan, you might have financial issues.

(edited)
6 hours ago, yoink said:

Turtle just wants to kick out at Dem politicians. Except, apart from AOC, Hillary and Pelosi I can't actually think of any other politicians he's been particularly outspoken about. I wonder what the connection could be?

Edited by jakee

(edited)
9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Correct.  Now Pelosi - who has been in office MUCH longer than Trump is now following his lead.

Thats Bull, unless she is showing her true colors now.

I want the "Presidential" image back - 

Pelosi is not President nor is she (or will ever be) running for President. If you want the Presidential image back, why criticise her? She has nothing to do with it.

Edited by jakee

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Oh - then we should ignore her - she has no public face.  

Not at all - but it's clear that if she was presenting a Presidential image you'd criticise her for getting ideas above her station. It's clear you're incapable of judging anything she does at face value.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:50 PM, mistercwood said:

people are always saying the Dem's need to reach out and bring the moderate R's across to them with more conservative approaches, but will NEVER contemplate that maybe the R's should be trying to attract Dem's.

Because it's up to the Dems to reclaim the swing voters in the purple Midwest that they lost because of people losing their jobs, houses and having to pay more for lower quality health insurance.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:31 AM, mistercwood said:

Being "above" that kind of behaviour has had exactly zero benefit. Trump absolutely trashing all norms and running the office like his personal piggy-bank has had exactly zero consequence.

What motive is there at this point to not simply join in?

What's the point in having principles if you're just going to abandon them when it really counts?

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

What's the point in having principles if you're just going to abandon them when it really counts?

You're reinforcing my point. One party gets to do whatever they want, while the other one is expected to have principles. Why are people getting upset when the principled party eventually decides, "You know what, fuck it, we're going to come play down in the mud as well".

They're not doing anything worse, just playing to the precedent that has been set over and over without consequence.

No-one gets to cry about decorum or principles anymore, they're no longer relevant.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, jakee said:

Pelosi is not President nor is she (or will ever be) running for President. If you want the Presidential image back, why criticise her? She has nothing to do with it.

She is a heart attack and a car wreck away from the Oval Office. 

17 hours ago, Coreece said:

Because it's up to the Dems to reclaim the swing voters in the purple Midwest that they lost because of people losing their jobs, houses and having to pay more for lower quality health insurance.

You don't seriously believe the Rs are bad and the Ds are angels do you?

(edited)
16 hours ago, mistercwood said:

Why are people getting upset

Perhaps disappointed is the better word to use there.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:
18 hours ago, Coreece said:

No, just that the Rs are better at playing dirty politics which is why the Ds are jealous and apparently want to emulate their style now.

Reminds me of Shooter McGavin trying to steal Gilmore's golf swing.

Edited by Coreece

This is the thinking that keeps us divided.  I can assure you that for every dirty Republican pol there is a Democrat counterpart.  For the better part of my 61 years I've watched congress sell us out.  If you think the real problem is Trump you are very short sighted.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

If you think the real problem is Trump you are very short sighted.

Trump is the personification of the “fuck you, I’ve got mine” attitude that is a large part of our national problem, as well as an example of reveling in it, using it, and not trying to even pay lip service to “draining the swamp.”

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, airdvr said:

This is the thinking that keeps us divided.  I can assure you that for every dirty Republican pol there is a Democrat counterpart.  For the better part of my 61 years I've watched congress sell us out.  If you think the real problem is Trump you are very short sighted.

Ya, blame me for the divisiveness, ha.  If you want someone to blame for that, you can start with Gingrich and his goons with their wedge politics and deliberately playing on people's emotions to pit the country against itself.

Listen, all I'm saying is that the the Rs are simply better at playing dirty politics, that much is so clearly obvious, and if you can't see that, then you really have no business calling others out for being shortsighted.

The sad thing is that the Ds apparently see that as a virtue that they want to emulate.  Billvon already said that there comes a point when the Ds have to stop keeping up appearances and being politically correct.  It just shows that they really weren't ever serious about their supposedly strong held "beliefs/principles."  Big surprise, eh?  It just seems to demonstrate the semblance of some type of moral facade surrounding secular humanity.

So ya, while I think that the Rs are much better at playing dirty politics, I think both sides are equally pathetic, if that makes you feel better. . .

Edited by Coreece
Had to change the word pin to pit and the word within to surrounding.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Trump is the personification of the “fuck you, I’ve got mine” attitude that is a large part of our national problem, as well as an example of reveling in it, using it, and not trying to even pay lip service to “draining the swamp.”

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

Looks like the most perfect & accurate post you have ever written.  I could not agree more,

Jerry Baumchen

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

Not at all.  The R's are evil and screw up all the time.  The D's screw up just as often - they are simply less evil (not angels) and they screw up in different ways.  An R will screw up and you'll see kids die in freezing cages.  A D will screw up and homeless people will get aid that makes them overly dependent on the government.  Same number of screwups - different outcomes.