sheeks

“Count the cells, and then stuff them between your legs”

11 minutes ago, sheeks said:

What’s the point of this step during the packjob, is it really necessary? I don’t really understand what the purpose of it is, i’m a pretty new jumper so excuse my ignorance

It's not because they can go missing! Well it sort of is, one or more cell openings of the nose could get left inside the pack. You count them out simply as a first step to organizing the canopy. You want to have all the cell openings exposed to the airflow at once when it comes out of the bag to help it open evenly. You put them between your legs and clamp them to hold them there while you start flaking. This is something you will need to learn in person. Me typing all this out is not going to help you much.

(edited)
1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

It's not because they can go missing! Well it sort of is, one or more cell openings of the nose could get left inside the pack. You count them out simply as a first step to organizing the canopy. You want to have all the cell openings exposed to the airflow at once when it comes out of the bag to help it open evenly. You put them between your legs and clamp them to hold them there while you start flaking. This is something you will need to learn in person. Me typing all this out is not going to help you much.

oh word that actually makes sense, i hadn’t really though about wanting to make sure they all hit the air at once before

Edited by sheeks

Gowlerk makes a valid point, but the real reason is to preserve your virtue at least at some times while you're at the DZ.  Lesson is, if you start to flake out, clamp your knees together.  (note: it doesn't really work, but it looks good on the waivers)

21 hours ago, gowlerk said:

It's not because they can go missing

Just to make sure I don't misunderstand, I guess you wouldn't want one of your cells left somewhere inside so you do hold them between your legs up until cocooning exactly for that reason, right?

7 hours ago, kuai43 said:

it doesn't really work

This also confused me, could you explain?

(if there was some sarcasm involved, sorry for missing it [also new here :)])

2 minutes ago, Binary93 said:

Just to make sure I don't misunderstand, I guess you wouldn't want one of your cells left somewhere inside so you do hold them between your legs up until cocooning exactly for that reason, right?

This also confused me, could you explain?

(if there was some sarcasm involved, sorry for missing it [also new here :)])

Yes, and yes there was sarcasm.

• Like 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, and yes there was sarcasm.

Sorry for the facetious confusion.   I was referring to 'other' DZ activity.. holding your knees together while cocooning keeps you virtuous.  ;):tongue:

Edited by kuai43

On 2/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, riggerrob said:

Amazing how fast skydivers’ minds fall into the gutter!

You are making the erroneous assumption that their minds ever leave the gutter. 

To the OP - You want all the cell openings hitting the air at (approximately) the same time. That's why you want to count out the nose, line it up and clamp it between your knees. After you flake out the cells and get all the lines straight, you put the 'gathered' nose where you want it (actual placement varies). 

Also, you will see some packers take the 'gathered' nose and give it a sharp 'snap' before they clamp it between their knees. That motion will take care of some of the 'arrangement' of the flakes and lines, making the actual flaking part somewhat easier.