1 1
nigel99

Predict President 2020

13 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I'd like to still hold my denial for as long as I can though - thanks for ruining that!

I do think the republicans are going to get ‘punished’ though. Trump with both houses as Democrats will be fun to watch.

Trump. Almost certainly.

I was saying last night to some friends that the more important elections will be the Senate and House ones. 
Honestly, that’s part of the message the DNC candidates should all be pushing right now.

2 minutes ago, yoink said:

Trump. Almost certainly.

I was saying last night to some friends that the more important elections will be the Senate and House ones. 
Honestly, that’s part of the message the DNC candidates should all be pushing right now.

I don't understand why people think that the Ds can do well in the Senate and House at the same time as Trump wins. Winning presidents always have coattails. That's just how it works. They did well in the House in the mid-terms, but that is a different thing. They did poorly in the Senate and the only way they will do well in the one third of seats up there in 2020 is if they have a winning candidate at the top who gets a great turnout and beats Trump. The only way Trump loses is if the same suburban women who turned against the Rs in the mid-terms keep voting against him plus the D candidate has enough to offer to get some excitement going. Both these things are possible, but not certain.

You're assuming everyone will vote the same party regardless.  There are plenty of us out there who will vote for the person we like for president, then the person we like for senate/house.  However, the reason I don't see the senate losing (m)any seats is that the ones who really need to go, who up for election this year, represent states that aren't likely to boot them out.  And all the old-party, self-respecting Republican senators resigned before the mid-terms.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TriGirl said:

You're assuming everyone will vote the same party regardless. 

Yup, there are a lot of Democrats who will never put Buttigeig or Sanders in the White House.  They simply won't show up to vote.  Biden, Warren or Bloomberg need to get the nomination.  Joe needs to drop out if he doesn't pick up votes VERY soon since he's splitting vote between himself/Warren/Buttigeig against Sanders and he's splitting votes with Warren against Buttigeig.  And we don't even know where Bloomberg sits in real voting outcomes.

I don't see much switching around in the Senate or House either.  The impeachment doesn't seem to be driving one side any more than the other.

37 minutes ago, DJL said:

Yup, there are a lot of Democrats who will never put Buttigeig or Sanders in the White House.

In 2016 are also people who liked both Sanders and Trump, and voted for Trump when Sanders was not nominated. I was arguing with one of them in this very forum 4 years ago. That is a strength of Sanders to pull in former Trump supporters, and I don't know if any of the others have it.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

In 2016 are also people who liked both Sanders and Trump, and voted for Trump when Sanders was not nominated. I was arguing with one of them in this very forum 4 years ago. That is a strength of Sanders to pull in former Trump supporters, and I don't know if any of the others have it.

I suggest that two of them team up against the other two.

Work it out between themselves cordially.

Try to find the best solution and let the egos go.

Ego is the issue we have in the white house now.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

From the Never Hillary crowd?  I can't imagine any Bernie supporter wanting Trump over Hillary.

12 hours ago, DJL said:
20 hours ago, TriGirl said:

You're assuming everyone will vote the same party regardless. 

Yup, there are a lot of Democrats who will never put Buttigeig or Sanders in the White House.  They simply won't show up to vote. 

I was referring to the implication from the other post I quoted that everyone would vote the same party for both Senate and President.

1 hour ago, TriGirl said:

I was referring to the implication from the other post I quoted that everyone would vote the same party for both Senate and President.

But that’s what happened in 2016. The R base came out for Trump. And the voted for Rs while they were at it.

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

When it's all said and done the D nominee will be Bloomberg.  It's so plainly obvious the DNC wants him as their candidate.

It will be interesting to see if the D strategy of nominating a progressive from New York will work this time.

What will be really interesting, if Bloomberg is the nominee, is just how scary the R operatives can make "progressive" seem. As Ds go, he is not very progressive at all.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:51 PM, nigel99 said:

It’s 2020 and US has presidential elections. Who do you predict will win the election?

I would have preferred to post a poll but not sure that still exists as an option, doesn’t show on mobile.

my prediction is Trump will get re elected

At this point I have to think Trump. He's in control and tightening his grip every second. He now knows he can get away with murder. His control of the government is such that CIA Director Haspel stood and applauded him at the SOTU. He not only fired Vindman but also his twin brother. His base is unified and motivated.

I also suspect he'll find more ways to juice the economy to ice the cake. Might as well go a bit longer in the market, I'm guessing,

(edited)

she has some interesting thoughts and was spot on last time.  i was also pretty close, and thought it was common sense.  she says trump is out, and a good chance of taking over the senate for democrats but not certain.  same thing i was thinking, although i am just a watcher and she has a masters in political science. 

rachel bitecofer

Edited by sfzombie13
put her name in