1 1
brenthutch

Getting my fill of schadenfreude

22 minutes ago, DJL said:

If they do then they fully deserve another four years of Trump and 50 years of a VERY right leaning Supreme Court.

Idealism is a powerful force, especially among the ignorant. I recall being a dumb ass kid, too young to vote, going door to door for Bobby Kennedy and believing it with every fibre in my body. Didn't have a clue what I was believing, mind you, but I damn sure believed it was the right stuff to believe.

20 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Idealism is a powerful force, especially among the ignorant. I recall being a dumb ass kid, too young to vote, going door to door for Bobby Kennedy and believing it with every fibre in my body. Didn't have a clue what I was believing, mind you, but I damn sure believed it was the right stuff to believe.

I'd like to think we're in a less contentious time than the year in which a Bobby Kennedy and MLK were assassinated and there was an unwinnable and unpopular war on the line.  I don't know what Hubert Humphrey would've done in office but I've rarely heard it said that we were better off with Nixon.

I don't support Biden and all that he is; but I for sure think he'd be a better president than the current one. I didn't think Obama was perfect, either.

If I waited for the absolutely perfect candidate to vote, I'd never vote. And too many people think that way. One of those guys is going to be elected, barring something really weird happening (and I'd be for some weird things that would derail that, but no, not any weird thing). So I might as well have my voice heard.

Wendy P.

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I don't support Biden and all that he is; but I for sure think he'd be a better president than the current one. I didn't think Obama was perfect, either.

That's an important distinction.  I'm drawing on a cliche of an example but I have a friend who is a huge Bernie supporter and the way that she speaks makes me think that she expects the President to be some sort of political Jesus, free of all sin and pure in singular purpose.  All I want is someone who can provide stability and support our interests going into the next century.  Even Trump is capable of that in certain realms and I don't think everything he did was bad.  I want Senators and Congressmen doing that super progressive shit because they are closer to the level of their constituents and can feel out what our population is ready for rather than have in shoved down our throats from the top down.

20 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

If I waited for the absolutely perfect candidate to vote, I'd never vote. And too many people think that way. One of those guys is going to be elected, barring something really weird happening (and I'd be for some weird things that would derail that, but no, not any weird thing). So I might as well have my voice heard.

Wendy P.

I don't necessarily disagree.

My comment was to Joe's reaction to Brent's post.

It's obvious that Joe hates Trump.  Joe is willing to support "character only" traits.  From what he posts, I don't think the policies are nearly as important.

43 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't necessarily disagree.

My comment was to Joe's reaction to Brent's post.

It's obvious that Joe hates Trump.  Joe is willing to support "character only" traits.  From what he posts, I don't think the policies are nearly as important.

Not this election, absolutely not. It's not just a matter of hating Trump, Turtle, I hate what he is doing to our nation. I hate what he is doing to our fellow citizens. I hate what he is doing to our courts and the rule of law in our country. I hate that we are an International laughing stock with a ridiculous buffoon for President. And last, but not least, I hate his stupid hair-do. 

14 hours ago, yoink said:

That'd work(ish) as long as Party candidates are broadly aligned to party goals.

The DNC probably fucked up letting Bernie run as a Democrat. He's not. And he's proudly not. A Biden/Bernie Presidency (or the other way around) would be mired in dissent even before any legislature got proposed to the house or senate.

I disagree.

JFK chose LBJ as VP precisely because he was very different.

JFK pulled in the North/East votes, while LBJ attracted the South/West votes.

The VP has no inherent political power other than tie-breaking in the Senate.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, ryoder said:

I disagree.

JFK chose LBJ as VP precisely because he was very different.

JFK pulled in the North/East votes, while LBJ attracted the South/West votes.

The VP has no inherent political power other than tie-breaking in the Senate.

Well - Not at First . . . .

But he got that changed, didn't he? 

:halo: