sheeks

Infinity dual riser covers

So i’ve got a new infinity rig, with the double riser covers, and i’ve noticed that when unpacking the rig to practice my packing and pulling forward on the lines it seems fairly hard to release the risers from the covers

I saw a video of Bill Booth the other day saying how it should take less force to open the riser covers than it takes to unstow the locking stows, to ensure that the risers are free before the bag is at line stretch to avoid slack in the lines by the time the canopy is released 

I was wondering if any of you have had trouble with the riser covers getting stuck closed on deployment with infinity rigs?

1 minute ago, sheeks said:

So i’ve got a new infinity rig, with the double riser covers, and i’ve noticed that when unpacking the rig to practice my packing and pulling forward on the lines it seems fairly hard to release the risers from the covers

I saw a video of Bill Booth the other day saying how it should take less force to open the riser covers than it takes to unstow the locking stows, to ensure that the risers are free before the bag is at line stretch to avoid slack in the lines by the time the canopy is released 

I was wondering if any of you have had trouble with the riser covers getting stuck closed on deployment with infinity rigs?

They won't get stuck closed, that's not the problem. The problem is that if they don't open cleanly and evenly one may stick for a while through line stretch and the beginning of the canopy opening. This will throw you off balance and result in the canopy loading up unevenly and can result in anything from an off heading opening to a spinning malfunction. New rigs are often stiff, you will probably find that as the container gets used and broken in the covers will release more easily.

Rig design involves trade offs. Bill Booth favours magnetic riser covers to prevent this problem. But some people find that they do not hold well enough at high speeds. Most manufacturers use stiffened tuck tabs that will act the same as your new Infinity.

No problems.  I've had an Infinity for a while, and not had any issues with this. One of the reasons I chose Infinity is because of the secure riser & pin flaps.

I just checked my copy of the manual, and it doesn't specify as to putting the risers under one or both sides of the cover (IIRC, Wings specifies only under one side)

When I first got mine, I wasn't sure how the covers & risers should go, so I got in touch with Velocity. They said it could go under one or both.

It's been my experience that the manufacturer is the best source for this sort of information.
They've always been helpful & friendly (not just Velocity). 

There are a couple of factors at play here. One, it sounds like when you're unpacking, you're pulling the main out of the main container more or less parallel with the backpad, which isn't how you'll be deploying in the real world (hopefully!). If you lift the main out perpendicular to the backpad, the secondary riser covers should open before the line stows release.

For the primary (over the shoulder) riser covers, regardless of the type, they're not likely to open until your main creates enough drag to start pulling you vertical, so the canopy will be out of the bag. Having a body in the harness will certainly give you a more realistic sense of the forces required to open the primary riser covers.

The issue of risers being placed under or over the tuck tab pockets was never an issue until a company came out with a design that allowed the risers to find their way too far under the pocket and cause locking issues in the field. Instead of redesigning the riser covers, they decided to put a label on top of the pocket instructing the users/packers to put the risers on top of the pocket, and other companies followed suit. The Infinity top flap is designed to prevent the risers from finding their way to the "wrong" side of pocket when the risers are placed underneath it. You can put the risers in either location, but the covers will be a little more secure if the risers are placed under the pockets/top flap.

• Like 1