1 1
baronn

Who's running for the open Directors seat next week?

Any candidates that are interested in filling the vacant seat on the board that wude like to throw their 2 cents in well, heres yer chance. Yes, I realize this a BOD vote and not members ( whole other subject there), but, they will (mite?) be representing us and lets hear whatcha got. And just to save time, lets not get into qualifications ( jump numbers, yrs in sport, yada yada) tell us what you see wrong or rite and what ya think needs to be done

Thanx

• Like 1

Would

Should

Right

Might

That is what I get out of your posts.  Not any content that might actually be relevant, but you purposely spelling those words incorrectly.  I get the occasional misspell, but that is not what is going on here.  Stop dumbing yourself down and people might take you seriously.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jlmiracle said:

Would

Should

Right

Might

That is what I get out of your posts.  Not any content that might actually be relevant, but you purposely spelling those words incorrectly.  I get the occasional misspell, but that is not what is going on here.  Stop dumbing yourself down and people might take you seriously.

For some perverse reason it has become a point of pride with him, He does not seem to realize or care that it makes many people just ignore him,

• Like 1

ignoring someone because of spelling is the height of elitism, or whatever the term is when one thinks they are better or their words mean more than another due to some perceived incompetence.  it isn't productive and makes you look bad when you do it.  i would go out of my way to ignore one who does this, not the one making the errors.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

ignoring someone because of spelling is the height of elitism, or whatever the term is when one thinks they are better or their words mean more than another due to some perceived incompetence.  it isn't productive and makes you look bad when you do it.  i would go out of my way to ignore one who does this, not the one making the errors.

Yeah, except it's not an error.  It's not perceived as incompetence, just rudeness.

(edited)

doesn't matter in the slightest.  it was mentioned above that one might be taken more seriously if one were to spell things correctly.  this is the wrong attitude to have, no matter the reasons for the misspelling.  some have taken to call me out for not capitalizing my comments on the internet, and i allow them the same chances to either correct their view or ignore me.  as it is not my perception, it doesn't affect me, but neither does it make it right. 

Edited by sfzombie13
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

doesn't matter in the slightest.  it was mentioned above that one might be taken more seriously if one were to spell things correctly.  this is the wrong attitude to have, no matter the reasons for the misspelling.  some have taken to call me out for not capitalizing my comments on the internet, and i allow them the same chances to either correct their view or ignore me.  as it is not my perception, it doesn't affect me, but neither does it make it right. 

Ok, you can interact with him all you want. Have at it.

• Like 1

i'm not interacting with anyone and have seen many misspellings.  he has some good ideas though and they should not be negated by the spelling.  not all of them, some are out there, but so are some of mine.  he is spot on about the uspa contributions to the non-existent museum. 

4 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i'm not interacting with anyone and have seen many misspellings.  he has some good ideas though and they should not be negated by the spelling.  not all of them, some are out there, but so are some of mine.  he is spot on about the uspa contributions to the non-existent museum. 

He has a point about that issue. However I could not really discuss it with him here because he ended up basically accusing people on the BOD of acting in bad faith.

i have not yet researched the issue but i would be willing to bet he has another valid point with that one.  sounds fishy to me, at least from what i have read so far.  since it is my money also, i will look into the issue, regardless of how much it is.  my point was merely not to dismiss valid reasoning because of a writing style.  it is hard sometimes though.

(edited)
2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i have not yet researched the issue but i would be willing to bet he has another valid point with that one.  sounds fishy to me, at least from what i have read so far.  since it is my money also, i will look into the issue, regardless of how much it is.  my point was merely not to dismiss valid reasoning because of a writing style.  it is hard sometimes though.

It’s really easy to get the idea that these are somehow valuable political positions with some kind of payoff for the people who serve. The reality is these are volunteer positions for people who care about the sport. Be careful what you are saying.

And yes, it is very clear that you have not researched the matter at all.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

i said exactly what i meant, if someone is donating money to something, it should be in good faith.  if it not producing anything, or is not in good faith, then it shouldn't happen.  i almost ran for the office myself, as i have 22 years in the sport, a degree in leadership, and am a decently successful entrepreneur.   too many side projects to give it the attention it deserves, volunteer or not.  one place i would like to see some money going is a program that promotes a proper plf and stops folks from sliding in.  but that is just me.

2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

...a program that promotes a proper plf and stops folks from sliding in.  but that is just me.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about your concerns here. I, too, think that plfs are under taught/practiced/utilized these days. But it can be different between students and experienced jumpers. As an instructor, I'm always on the lookout for students who lift their legs to slide in a landing. I think a lot of them do that because they did it on a tandem, but if they do that and mis-time their flare, they could injure themselves. But for an experienced jumper who times their flare correctly, the problem may be different. Originally, the plf was to absorb the harder landings of older (round) parachutes. But with modern canopies, the problem isn't a hard landing, but faster forward speed. For that, the slide-in may well be the better option.

2 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

But with modern canopies, the problem isn't a hard landing, but faster forward speed. For that, the slide-in may well be the better option.

Depends on the type of jumper.

A slide-in for students is not the better or safer option. Legs are more durable, and telling students to slide is inviting them to land on their less durable tailbone. Bad for the spine when things aren't perfect.

Additionally students often have a more vertical aspect to their landing thanks to things like high flares. They aren't aware enough to evaluate when one approach is appropriate versus the other, so they should only be taught the PLF.

(edited)

i am referring to in general.  i have seen an injury due to sliding that would not have happened had the jumper did a plf.  i read in parachutist about the injuries on landings and how they are going up and some can be prevented with proper plfs.  i have also read about how sliding is only a valid technique when trained how to properly do it, or else you can injure yourself badly.  students these days aren't taught how to plf, either properly or in an ongoing basis.  a plf is always preferable to a sprained or broken ankle when trying to run out a landing and step in a hole.   they very much help in a high forward speed landing as i can attest to after choosing to plf instead of running out on a new dz.  after stepping in a gopher hole on the way back to the hangar, i would say i chose well.

i propose more and better plf training for students, even up to requiring proper plfs before each jump while a student, just like we used to do in airborne.  a complete pre-jump routine with emergency procedures and forward and reverse plfs.  it has been said how mff jumpers are better prepared for emergencies due to practicing all their eps for ten minutes each day before jumping and before each jump.  it was also the only letter i have written to parachutist in 22 years. 

Edited by sfzombie13
typo

1 hour ago, DougH said:

A slide-in for students is not the better or safer option. Legs are more durable, and telling students to slide is inviting them to land on their less durable tailbone. Bad for the spine when things aren't perfect.

Additionally students often have a more vertical aspect to their landing thanks to things like high flares. They aren't aware enough to evaluate when one approach is appropriate versus the other, so they should only be taught the PLF.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said...

4 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

As an instructor, I'm always on the lookout for students who lift their legs to slide in a landing. I think a lot of them do that because they did it on a tandem, but if they do that and mis-time their flare, they could injure themselves.

I absolutely agree with...

1 hour ago, DougH said:

students... ...should only be taught the PLF.

and

23 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i propose more and better plf training for students

My 'but' was in reference to experienced jumpers who flare correctly dealing with excessive forward speed.

11 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Which is pretty much exactly what I said...

My 'but' was in reference to experienced jumpers who flare correctly dealing with excessive forward speed.

it needs to be said all in one passage, as fragments not only distract when reading, but tend to confuse or lose some meaning to folks.  obviously my plan wouldn't work for experienced jumpers, not only due to the forward speed not helping a plf (it absolutely helps absorb speed as well as distance fallen as i have discovered to just before being drug a few hundred feet trying to unhook a canopy) but mainly because falling on the ground doesn't look as cool as sliding and they are responsible for themselves so there is no incentive for them.  but for students, it would potentially solve a safety issue.  at the very least, it would help instill safety into their habits a little better from the very beginning. 

Al shude be a good choice. I'm sure I'm triggering a few with my spellings. I mite suggest saying my spelling and then your "proper" spelling. See how different they sound.

To something that matters. The ISMHOF was started in 1972. Going on 48 yrs and...............

Nothing! Unless you count begging for contributions. They're pretty good at that. Convinced BOD members to contribute members money (Bill Ottley specifically opposed that) so they cude then convince others around the world to contribute. The Aussies gave 10K! Damn! Don't know why but, they did. Last yr, the ISMHOF spent approximately 37% of all collected funds on collecting more funds. That equals almost 1000 per day! On what? A LOT of money is going out the door and as far as I've seen, nothing to show for it. I've contacted members of the board and the ISMHOF and made this known. Few were not aware, few were and had no intention of voting against the BOD decision (?) and many never got back with me. ANY member can come here and offer up more info but, so far, nothing. Many say they want the Museum built but, don't care enuff to see why it isn't. Instead, my leaving a few vowels off a few words is enuff to trigger them into orbit. Instead of wasting time and keystrokes on that, why don't you try actually helping and contact your AD and get some answers. Who knows, we might get something done before we're all dead.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 11:12 AM, gowlerk said:

It’s really easy to get the idea that these are somehow valuable political positions with some kind of payoff for the people who serve. The reality is these are volunteer positions for people who care about the sport. Be careful what you are saying.

And yes, it is very clear that you have not researched the matter at all.

When a charitable 501c organization spends over $327,000 in 1 yr and has absolutely NOTHING to show for it, yeah, it raises red flags. Since I continue to get little to no response from the BOD about looking into how members money is being given away and how they continue to ask for additional funds so teams and competitors can attend international events, then yeah, that raises more red flags. Pretty sure those funds cude sponsor a LOT of hard working athletes and help DZ's in staying open. Apparently thats not as important....

• Like 1