noxice

Social anxiety and jumping from planes

I have social anxiety.

My social anxiety is so powerful that on AFF1, when the parachute opened above my head, I thought that instructors could have heard me via the radio and immediately repressed the need for screaming of joy. I'm that helpless.

I have experienced a wide range of emotions during the course and after, but when I went through the videos, I was presented with my face during the plane rides: it was totally emotionless. I was smiling during the freefall, but in the photos I didn't know were being taken at the party that came after, I looked like I was about to kill someone. I was actually very happy.

The not very nice comments that I have overheard about me from the instructors didn't help, but I can totally understand them. I get that I look like a total creep, but I cannot really do much about it.

I never showed up at that DZ. It's been the same at the others.

It's the same at work, or when walking down the street. I am actually a very friendly person, but I cannot seem to show it to complete strangers. This has ruined a lot of things for me and now I am afraid it will ruin skydive too (which I love).

Has anyone ever done that "work on yourself" everybody is talking about and solved the problem? I would be very happy of hearing about it and getting some inspiration.

p.s. Still getting laid tho (sometimes).

Welcome to our already DYSFUNCTIONAL family.  "We" come from a wide variety of backgrounds in this sport. Embrace your weird, it makes you, YOU! 

Just be honest with the people around you, we get it... There is a reason many call this "sky therapy"! 

~Tim 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I don't know if it will help you, but unless you are stupid you will find acceptance at the DZ. As long as you skydive the only thing that is not tolerated is stupidity. Other than that everyone is welcomed.

in other words, don't be complacent in this game, because your mistake could take out A LOT more than just little ole you!  

• Like 1

(edited)

Agree with the advice above. :) 

Anxiety is unpleasant but it will keep you safeish. It's good to worry about your gear, worry about the jump plan, but it's good to keep thinking about what can go wrong. Ask questions and follow the advice of your instructors.

Social anxiety can also be unhelpful. For instance - doing a proper PLF if you have to is a good thing to do. If you are worried about looking like a numpty and falling over it can lead to you trying to run out a hard landing and injuring yourself. 

As said above, we're a dysfunctional family, right now you likely fit in a lot more than you realise. Keep jumping, stay safe and you'll figure it out along the way. 

Edited by johnmatrix
  • Like 2

We are all anxious when we jump.

The only skydivers who are not anxious are stupid. Stupid skydivers don’t survive very long.

As a junior jumper, your challenge is to convert your anxiety energy into “safe” routines, like studying the winds, planning your landing pattern before boarding the airplane, pin checks, looking over your shoulder before turning, etc.

• Like 1