1 1
Star991

What High Performance Canopy Should I Get?

Question

So I have around 500 jumps and want to buy a 135 canopy (1.05 wing load). I have researched different designs and think I prefer cross braced, besides their bad openings. I don’t really understand the difference between 500IB Vectran and 750 Vectran lines. However, I have found myself looking a lot into either a 135 katana or 135 fluid wings gangster. What would you guys recommend for a good snappy canopy that can keep dives pretty well and do fast spins. Open to other suggestions for canopies. But really don’t like saber 2. Also good to state I do a lot of front riser dives atm but hate the fast recovery that takes the toggles out of my hands, but love the quick response time for doing loops or spins.

Edited by Star991

9 answers to this question

why don't you like a sabre 2 they are a great canopy? is there a DZ with a canopy coach near by that you could get some coaching/advise from what canopy do you fly now

Well I just have bad history with Sabre 2 and it’s terrible openings along with it’s constant line twist. Atm I love the storm 135 I rent and I’m pretty set on either a semi cross braced gangster 135 or katana135. I don’t know if u can recommend either one.

Katana's require a lot more attention to body position during opening and can take off diving and go into line twists quite easy, Sabre 2's would be a lot less stress to deal with vs a Katana that's my experience. if you love the Storm your renting then why not buy one they are a great canopy, I cant comment on the Gangster as I haven't jumped that class of canopy but canopy's that are cross braced are generally reserved for serious swoopers with 800/1000+ jumps and much higher wing loadings.

500lbs lines would be thinner and have less drag but as a result take less weight.

I would be speaking with your local or nearest canopy coach, and sign up for canopy course.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:38 AM, Star991 said:

Well I just have bad history with Sabre 2 and it’s terrible openings along with it’s constant line twist.

Terrible openings and constant line twists are not necessarily a result of the canopy type. They may also occur when the canopy hits a certain age, and especially when the lines hit a certain age. Most line types (especially microline, which is commonly found on a Sabre2) will exhibit some sort of shrink. This affects the line trim, which in turn affects (usually negatively) the openings of a canopy.

With smallish canopies (~135 and below) those effects can easily happen after only ~300 jumps on the lineset. Microline will typically still look perfectly fine at that age, so just looking at the wear & tear on the lines isn't enough to determine if the lines are still good.

It sounds like you are seeking a canopy optimized for aerobatics, as opposed to swooping.  If so, try a Stiletto.  It's designed to be fast and extremely responsive.  Make sure you fly one that isn't tired or with a shrunken line set.  Stilettos are great canopies, still a solid design, and you can still order one brand new.  

I fly a 120 Gangster and love it! The opening are amazing every time at terminal or sub terminal. Rears and harness turns are intuitive. If you are thinking about getting one demo it. 

Most federations recommend 1000 jumps before flying cross-braced canopies. Besides that, loading a cross-braced at 1.05 is kind of, for lack of a better word, useless. These canopies are designed for higher winloads, without exception I would say. Loading them so lightly is probably counterproductive. The wing will be less pressurized, and that could be dangerous. To give you an example, Fluid Wings recommends the Gangster for wingloads starting at 1.5. Most other recommend 1.8 at least.

I am unsure what is the local culture at your DZ, but judging from the first post looks like the understanding of the different canopy designs and their effect on flying characteristics is a bit lacking. When in doubt, try to be conservative. It is better than been scrapped out of the ground.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:19 AM, Deimian said:

Most federations recommend 1000 jumps before flying cross-braced canopies. Besides that, loading a cross-braced at 1.05 is kind of, for lack of a better word, useless. These canopies are designed for higher winloads, without exception I would say. Loading them so lightly is probably counterproductive. The wing will be less pressurized, and that could be dangerous. To give you an example, Fluid Wings recommends the Gangster for wingloads starting at 1.5. Most other recommend 1.8 at least.

I am unsure what is the local culture at your DZ, but judging from the first post looks like the understanding of the different canopy designs and their effect on flying characteristics is a bit lacking. When in doubt, try to be conservative. It is better than been scrapped out of the ground.

I agree with all of the aforementioned. Even though technically you can safely fly cross braced wings at lighter loadings, it is entirely pointless based on what you are describing you want. Sure, the cool factor... but no. Generally, the crossbraced parachutes, size to size, will feel and fly "larger" and feel more sluggish than a non crossbraced at the same size. Going from a katana 120 to a velo 120 felt like I upsized to a 150. Settled on a 103 as a good step from the katana 120.  The extra speed and snappiness come from the fact they are generally much higher loaded on smaller canopies.

There were a few HUGE red flags that tell me you are not ready for either. Wing Loading excludes the gangster and katana outright. You mention you don't understand the difference of diff types of lines. This is normal to be confused, but at 500 jumps and considering these canopies, that's a huge red flag. Third, you emphasize loops and spins. The two parachutes you mentioned are not going to give you enough time in the air with the steepness to really get the time to "play around with loops and spins" do 2 360's on a katana and boom, there's 1000ft (guessing based on your wingloading and turn speed). These are not made to "whip around". They are purpose built to go fast, go down and then swoop.

I know quite a bit about the gangster and from what you are describing, this is not what you are looking for. It likes to be loaded at 1.5-2.5... This is important as it is designed to be flown effectively at that range. Personally, I thought they really lit up at 2.3-2.6. 

Try the katana if your coach thinks it's a good idea but it sure sounds like a stiletto or crossfire is more up your alley. The katana has light front riser pressure and dives very well. It can really get you into trouble though quick. You will find yourself fighting on long spots as well.

Do some research and speak with some knowledgeable jumpers you look up to and get their opinions.