1 1
David Wang

difference between tunnel and real air- how to turn?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, timski said:

yeah, FF. So just turn blindly huh? I'll just keep flying solo wingsuit, where I feel somewhat safer. ;) 

You will not find a decent FS coach that will say to look where you are turning. Always look back to the center for as long as possible.  As late a head switch as possible, and then only to look back at the center.  If what you are doing is a center turn, you are not going anywhere, you are turning in place. And looking out early (or at all) will make you drift away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Remster said:

You will not find a decent FS coach that will say to look where you are turning. Always look back to the center for as long as possible.  As late a head switch as possible, and then only to look back at the center.  If what you are doing is a center turn, you are not going anywhere, you are turning in place. And looking out early (or at all) will make you drift away.

NOW you sound like an AFF instructor(or at least a worthy coach)!!!  

Edited by timski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On 1/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Remster said:

Because in freefall (and that's what we've been talking about), you definitely do not want to look where you're going when turning.  

This statement makes no sense to me. I must be missing something. Can you explain why this is true?

Quote

You will not find a decent FS coach that will say to look where you are turning. Always look back to the center for as long as possible.  As late a head switch as possible, and then only to look back at the center.  If what you are doing is a center turn, you are not going anywhere, you are turning in place. And looking out early (or at all) will make you drift away.

Sorry... just read this bit here ^^^

Totally agree, BUT... "decent FS" is far different from the early stages of learning to skydive, which is what our fearless @David Wang is up to.

Edited by betzilla
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 2:55 PM, Remster said:

Because in freefall (and that's what we've been talking about), you definitely do not want to look where you're going when turning.  

You've got to be kidding. We're talking about an AFF student doing entry level turns. Absolutely they should look where they're turning. The first turns are 90's. They should look to their new heading and then turn there. That helps them get to and hold their new heading.

Now later on, with a more advanced skydiver to whom basic turns are second nature, and they're learning to do tight FS transitions, then your advice...

7 hours ago, Remster said:

Always look back to the center for as long as possible.  As late a head switch as possible, and then only to look back at the center.  If what you are doing is a center turn, you are not going anywhere, you are turning in place. And looking out early (or at all) will make you drift away.

...is appropriate. But that's a wholly different scenario.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
7 hours ago, daffes said:

That's a strong arch buddy, I imagine you could surprise an instructor with it haha! A faster fall rate allows you to turn effectively with a smaller input, usually, in AFF, things happen in a more "slow motion" way. Don't sweat, you'll be fine.

Thanks buddy! ya many people were  surprised but some of my DZ instructors were focusing on what I did not very good LMAO! such as I would turn different in the real air/not a standard arch, need to bent my legs a little more. haha I accept all of  that! I keep going man this journey is beautiful.

Edited by David Wang
vocab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
5 hours ago, betzilla said:

This statement makes no sense to me. I must be missing something. Can you explain why this is true?

Sorry... just read this bit here ^^^

Totally agree, BUT... "decent FS" is far different from the early stages of learning to skydive, which is what our fearless @David Wang is up to.

:rofl:so you guys are saying I need to look before making a turn. I think that makes sense to me.

 

fearless :pthanks man

Edited by David Wang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah man, you will get advice, what advice you use is up too you!!!  As stated, you learn the SIMPLE way first, focusing on SAFETY and getting you licensed. THEN you learn to become a flier! Enjoy the process. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, timski said:

yeah man, you will get advice, what advice you use is up too you!!!  As stated, you learn the SIMPLE way first, focusing on SAFETY and getting you licensed. THEN you learn to become a flier! Enjoy the process. 

Yeah I totally understand now! I need to learn to walk before running hahahaha. definitely enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if this has been said, or if so, how many times so here goes:  don't listen to anything here, ask your instructors.  the above example is a perfect reason showing why.  nobody knows you here, other than the video you posted.  do what your instructors are telling you.  when you get your license, then you make all of your own decisions and are responsible for yourself.  even then, ask instructors if you have any questions.  also, asking a rigger or an s&ta are also acceptable sources of information, as are other jumpers AT THAT TIME.  i took a while to get my a, but since i am new as hell, i always ask about anything i am unsure of.  as you hang around more, you'll figure out who to ask and eventually, you will have built a respectable repository of information.  when you get there, don't stop considering other input, but give it the weight it deserves. 

you'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 6:19 AM, sfzombie13 said:

not sure if this has been said, or if so, how many times so here goes:  don't listen to anything here, ask your instructors.  the above example is a perfect reason showing why.  nobody knows you here, other than the video you posted.  do what your instructors are telling you.  when you get your license, then you make all of your own decisions and are responsible for yourself.  even then, ask instructors if you have any questions.  also, asking a rigger or an s&ta are also acceptable sources of information, as are other jumpers AT THAT TIME.  i took a while to get my a, but since i am new as hell, i always ask about anything i am unsure of.  as you hang around more, you'll figure out who to ask and eventually, you will have built a respectable repository of information.  when you get there, don't stop considering other input, but give it the weight it deserves. 

you'll be fine.

Thank you!! I will ask home dz instructors for professional advice for sure!! 

Blue skies buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, sfzombie13 said:

were you there?  i didn't see you, but you could have been.  it happened whether you agree with or not.  now piss off.

Who took a leak in your corn flakes, cowboy? :rofl: 

::posts in forum::

::gets angry when people respond::

 

Cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 1:46 PM, David Wang said:

:rofl:so you guys are saying I need to look before making a turn. I think that makes sense to me.

You don't need to - but it can help.  Your body tends to follow your head, at least at first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, sfzombie13 said:

were you there?  i didn't see you, but you could have been.  it happened whether you agree with or not.  now piss off.

He's right - it's doubtful.  You are 25lbs heavier when you skydive.  Tunnel operators have a lot of experience choosing airspeeds that work for skydivers when they are in a tunnel without their rig, and will adjust as needed.  We use a 110-112 airspeed when we do 4 way in the tunnel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

no anger in it at all.  i don't like being called a liar, even on the internet.  not angry about it at all though.

I didn't call you a liar but don't let your fragile ego get in the way of a healthy discussion, killer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, i guess that you guys are also assuming i can't read numbers, since the speed is shown on the control booth along side of the time, and it read 120 mph, while i saw it dialed down for the other folks just having a good time.  so while you guys can doubt my word all day long that still doesn't make them false.  it seems there was another person there that i didn't notice who also knows more than i do, you know, since i can't read and all.  i'm very glad that i know have two doubters, means i'm right.  enjoy your day, both of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJQ41190 said:

Doubtful simply means improbable, or unlikely, in this context. Not "impossible". 

I think your reaction to a simple suggestion is demonstrative enough.

Cheers

 

i know that a lot of times in internet communication (not necessarily this one, just a background on where i feel it applies) folks tend to say things that in a real life conversation would get you punched in the face.  this is not that time, but it was antagonistic.  it should have been phrased better.  had you said, "in my experience, that usually doesn't happen due to ..." or the likes, it would have been much better and invited a nice response.  as it was, it hit me wrong at the time and my internet kicked in, so i jumped.  i usually expect to have things called out during other debates or discussions, but this one took me by surprise that you would just out of the blue chime in to say that i am not telling the truth.  anyway, glad it was noticed that we were both pretty.  tschüss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i know that a lot of times in internet communication (not necessarily this one, just a background on where i feel it applies) folks tend to say things that in a real life conversation would get you punched in the face.  this is not that time, but it was antagonistic.  it should have been phrased better.  had you said, "in my experience, that usually doesn't happen due to ..." or the likes, it would have been much better and invited a nice response.  as it was, it hit me wrong at the time and my internet kicked in, so i jumped.  i usually expect to have things called out during other debates or discussions, but this one took me by surprise that you would just out of the blue chime in to say that i am not telling the truth.  anyway, glad it was noticed that we were both pretty.  tschüss.

Holy smokes ! I'm so truly sorry for "hitting you wrong" by suggesting maybe you were mistaken about the wind speed in your tunnel session.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not expert on anything especially tunnel operation so my comment was purely just me making a harmless passive comment. That said, your post came across like you showed up to the tunnel explained you needed to work on free fall skills and as a result they put the wind at 120mph to better replicate free fall for you. In my limited experience in the tunnel, that isn't necessarily how it works. Another posted tried to explain it to you above.

When I did my first tunnel session I overheard the instructor saying to put me on "100" i thought that meant 100% power (like an idiot) so when I was talking to another skydiver later that day I said that they had me on 100% power and I was informed that it was definitely 100mph and how its not atypical to have a new tunnel flyer/aff student fly with a lower wind speed in the tunnel for various reasons.

I don't think you're a liar, I guess I just assumed there was a possibility you were mistaken about the actual wind speed you flew in - like I was.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

1 1