1 1
nigel99

Is religion a form of mental illness?

13 hours ago, nigel99 said:

1.  I'd imagine that the vast majority of people don't really care what a bunch of frigid bigots from Iceland have to say.  What does science have to say?  Are you going to present evidence of neurological abnormalities that may predispose specific populations to a faith based mindset?  Or is faith simply an inherent characteristic of our humanity that manifests itself in a variety of ways?  Science seems to agree with the latter moreso that the former.

Even more and more atheists are finding it harder to suppress their humaity as evidenced by the growing number of atheist churches and studies showing how some atheists even pray regularly or at least in times of distress.   Some atheists have caught themselves automatically thinking about the supernatural after a loved one died, while other atheists have reported a sense of awe, peace and numinous feelings brought about by nature. 

Do you think they are mentally ill as well?

2.  I'm not surprised that like-minded haters would want to band together and isolate themselves from the rest of the world.  I don't know, perhaps such Iceolation would be beneficial for us all. 

But what's really interesting is that the same people seeking segregation from the religious are many times the same people going on about the benefits of diversity.

Also, didn't you say something about how life is to be treasured and valued, regardless of race, creed or culture? 

Maybe this belongs this in the inconsistent atheist thread! :p

41 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I'm not surprised that like-minded haters would want to band together and isolate themselves from the rest of the world. 

From my perspective they are attempting to protect themselves from the poisonous and corrupt effects of power in the hands of priests, imams, rabbis, and evangelist preacher types. Are you sure you are not angry and perhaps hateful over this?

• Like 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

I'd imagine that the vast majority of people don't really care what a bunch of frigid bigots from Iceland have to say.

Someone has been triggered today!

"Frigid bigots from Iceland" is not only spot on, it's funny.

Your problem is that you apparently agree with these bigots but don't want to be associated with the bigotry - well, too bad. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I'm not surprised that like-minded haters would want to band together and isolate themselves from the rest of the world. 

From my perspective they are attempting to protect themselves from the poisonous and corrupt effects of power in the hands of priests, imams, rabbis, and evangelist preacher types. Are you sure you are not angry and perhaps hateful over this?

I was talking about Nigel wanting to move to Iceland.  You guys always give Ron shit for merely withdrawing from city life, but you won't call out Nigel for wanting to withdraw and desiring to be with like-minded haters?

And there is nothing wrong with hating bigotry - if there is any anger, it's no more inappropriate than the anger spewed here about other forms of bigotry that you're not as eager to embrace. 

And another thing, the whole "hey look, coreece is angry"  thing is getting a bit old and rather lame, and only highlights your inability to address the rest of my post in context.

Edited by Coreece

(edited)
5 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

I'd imagine that the vast majority of people don't really care what a bunch of frigid bigots from Iceland have to say.

the patheos link is to a satirical section of the website. The news story is not true.

Tell that to Nigel and Ryoder.:p

(Tho, I'm not too fond of Televangelists either)

Edited by Coreece

8 hours ago, Coreece said:

"Frigid bigots from Iceland" is not only spot on, it's funny.

Your problem is that you apparently agree with these bigots but don't want to be associated with the bigotry - well, too bad. 

I was talking about Nigel wanting to move to Iceland.  You guys always give Ron shit for merely withdrawing from city life, but you won't call out Nigel for wanting to withdraw and desiring to be with like-minded haters?

And there is nothing wrong with hating bigotry - if there is any anger, it's no more inappropriate than the anger spewed here about other forms of bigotry that you're not as eager to embrace. 

And another thing, the whole "hey look, coreece is angry"  thing is getting a bit old and rather lame, and only highlights your inability to address the rest of my post in context.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. The whole article is satire, like the onion. 

On a complete side track, I know almost nothing about Iceland, but I did like their response to the GFC. 

(edited)

10 minutes ago, nigel99 said:
8 hours ago, SethInMI said:

the patheos link is to a satirical section of the website. The news story is not true.

Exactly! 

6 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Oh, so you were just joking, eh?

What did your dad tell you about that?;)

Edited by Coreece

11 hours ago, nigel99 said:

On a complete side track, I know almost nothing about Iceland, but I did like their response to the GFC. 

:$:shock:

How DARE you gender identify a country like that!!

22 hours ago, Coreece said:

1.  I'd imagine that the vast majority of people don't really care what a bunch of frigid bigots from Iceland have to say.

Dude - Really? - That was cold!

5 minutes ago, mbohu said:

Just to clear this up for all my friends from Iceland. . .

It won't matter much.  We never really had a favorable opinion of them since Mighty Ducks 2:

53be9bd511866f1b3faeba574e2cd035_crop_ex

"Iceland wasn’t chosen as the villain randomly in D2: The Mighty Ducks. According to writer Steve Brill, Russia was “too obvious,” and after the fall of the Soviet Union a few years earlier, they just didn’t seem as worthy a villain anymore. The eastern European thing felt “too dire or political.” 

Brill told TIME, “I was like, ‘Iceland, oh my god. People don’t quite know much about it. It’s got that Nordic mystique. I can make them essentially these blond-haired, blue-eyed menacing villains with funny accents and a weird culture.’ It’s a complete fabrication but it worked. I loved it. Iceland was a great stock country.”  

4 minutes ago, Coreece said:

It won't matter much.  We never really had a favorable opinion of them since Mighty Ducks 2:

:rofl:  But: Yeah, I'm sorry to say: Not one of the US's most appealing qualities: The general ignorance about the rest of the world and the way we like to stereotype them. Anyone who knows even a tiny bit about Iceland would not have thought that article to be real: 

Religion: Most Icelanders (80%) are members of the Lutheran State Church. Another 5% are registered in other Christian denominations, including the Free Church of Iceland and the Roman Catholic Church. Almost 5% of people practice ásatrú, the traditional Norse religion.

"Ja, Ja, Hans, mach schnell, mach schnell!"

49 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

At one time in the past I suffered from generalized anxiety disorder and performance anxiety. I found my solution to the problem in the following.

Philippians 4:6,7 New King James Version (NKJV)
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakee said:
On 1/23/2020 at 10:29 AM, Coreece said:

Even more and more atheists are finding it harder to suppress their humanity 

I think you need to give yourself a bigotry time out.

And if you continue on with that quote, I talk about the growing number of Atheist Churches and reports about how Atheists pray and have other involuntary thoughts of the supernatural while experiencing nature or distress.  I mean don't you think that that gives rise to the possibility that perhaps Atheists are just repressed "theists," especially vocal atheists that attack religion more aggressively - similar to the link between homophobia and repressed homosexuality?;)

8 minutes ago, Coreece said:

And if you continue on with that quote, I talk about the growing number of Atheist Churches and reports about how Atheists pray and have other involuntary thoughts of the supernatural while experiencing nature or distress.  I mean don't you think that that gives rise to the possibility that perhaps Atheists are just repressed "theists," especially vocal atheists that attack religion more aggressively - similar to the link between homophobia and repressed homosexuality?;)

Along the the line of "Methinks thou dost protest too much?

Yes I know that not the actual quote - but its is an accepted comparison culturally.

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

And if you continue on with that quote,

The rest of it isn't particularly interesting. The bit I quoted to you is. Aren't you going to get onto your own case about the bigotry you just displayed?

(edited)
4 hours ago, Coreece said:

By that logic, the Black Panthers were really just white supremacists at heart. 

No, it's just that we're tired of living in a supposedly secular constitutional republic and standing silent while the state blatantly places one religion on a pedestal. 

Edited by yobnoc
grammar error
  • Like 2

(edited)
26 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

No, it's just that we're tired of living in a supposedly secular constitutional republic and standing silent while the state blatantly places one religion on a pedestal. 

As an atheist I do not require that you or the government also be atheist. I want my government to be secular.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 3