2 2
yobnoc

Q

(edited)

Clearly I'm a very occasional poster, and given the length of this thread, and the fact I only occasionally read some of it, this may have come up before, but:

WWG1WGA

Doesn't that strike you as a very strange kind of slogan for people who call everyone else "sheep" and tell them they need to "wake up" and not blindly accept what they are being told?

I mean, it's one thing to somehow not notice how you are just believing everything some anonymous person(s) is telling you, and not really be aware of it, and it's a completely separate thing to put that right in your slogan and STILL not notice it? no?

Edit: I mean, if sheep had a slogan, that would surely be the one.

Edited by mbohu
one more thought...
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mbohu said:

WWG1WGA

Doesn't that strike you as a very strange kind of slogan for people who call everyone else "sheep" and tell them they need to "wake up" and not blindly accept what they are being told?

I've long suspected it was put there for that very reason by the trolls who first seeded the idiocy.

9 minutes ago, jakee said:

Yep. But I think they like it anyway because they can pretend to be in the Musketeers.

The whole Q movement reminds me of the secret clubs we ran as kids. Q is the grown up version of “Dirty Little Rascals”

For me the most worrying this is if they decide to “reclaim” the USA violently.

3 hours ago, nigel99 said:

if they decide to “reclaim” the USA violently.

If they decide? I think a huge percentage of the doofs are secretly hoping to get the chance. ol' Ron might just sit teary eyed behind his tire barricade and wait to be taken to his new job in an abortion clinic but the nitwits who've been practicing Militia in their homemade war suits are a real danger. God, glory, guns and foolish fantasies fulfilled. 

(edited)

For those with access to the NYT they have a long article about Inside the Boogaloo: America's Extremely Online Extremists in the Magazine.

It speaks to other gun loving extremists who have a couple things in common with Qanon.

Love guns, hate government,hate cops, hate liberals,Blacks,Browns and non-whites.

Edited by Phil1111

On 8/22/2020 at 3:49 AM, RonD1120 said:

QAnon is possibly the number one search topic on Google. Why is that? 

Morning Ron, 

I'd like to understand what you were thinking when you posted this.

I know that you WANT it to be true but even a cursory search could have confirmed it or not. But you didn't bother doing that. Why not? You must have known that someone here would fact check that statement so why would you post knowing that you're setting yourself up?

(edited)
8 minutes ago, yoink said:

Morning Ron, 

I know that you WANT it to be true but even a cursory search could have confirmed it or not. But you didn't bother doing that. Why not? You must have known that someone here would fact check that statement so why would you post knowing that you're setting yourself up?

I’m actually going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  When you search on Google, Google remembers your searches. So if you search QAnon a lot, it will likely make high on the list of results.  If you don’t know how search engines work, you might assume that it’s true for everyone.  So, of course you’re right, it’s not, but I could see how someone who doesn’t know how things work might think it is. 

A better test would be to search on something like DuckDuckGo that doesn’t track your searches or use a search bias.   Or maybe in incognito mode depending on the browser. 

Edited by Skwrl

2 minutes ago, Skwrl said:

I’m actually going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  When you search on Google, Google remembers your searches. So if you search QAnon a lot, it will likely make high on the list of results.  If you don’t know how search engines work, you might assume that it’s true for everyone.  So, of course you’re right, it’s not, but I could see how someone who doesn’t know how things work might think it is. 

A better test would be to search on something like DuckDuckGo that doesn’t track your searches or use a search bias.   Or maybe in incognito mode depending on the browser. 

That would make sense. My search history gets cleared at the end of every session so that didn’t even occur to me.

1 minute ago, Skwrl said:

Even if he did know how things work, and for damn sure he doesn't, he's not a fact based thinker. Provably true and sounds good are equivalent tests for Qupie dolls.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nigel99 said:

For me the most worrying this is if they decide to “reclaim” the USA violently.

Hi Nigel,

There is a part of me that wishes they would try.  Then we could know who they all  are and take care of them.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  As I have posted before, my son & I always have a good laugh whenever we see one of these gun nuts and their, "My guns are to protect my family & me from the gov't.' 

I wonder who has the most weapons and the most effective weapons.  HINT:  It ain't the dufus homeowner.

6 hours ago, yoink said:

That would make sense. My search history gets cleared at the end of every session so that didn’t even occur to me.

Actually clearing your search history doesn’t “solve” the google tracking issue.

However isn’t it slightly ironic that we are discussing some of the basic concepts of search engines to give someone the benefit of the doubt. When their belief system is built around them being “in the digital inner circle” of an internet group.

17 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Actually clearing your search history doesn’t “solve” the google tracking issue.

I don't really see the relevance either way. Sure, Google is going to show more Q results in the searches he does, but it's not going to tell him more people are searching for Q. They're two different things.

49 minutes ago, jakee said:
1 hour ago, nigel99 said:

I don't really see the relevance either way. Sure, Google is going to show more Q results in the searches he does, but it's not going to tell him more people are searching for Q. They're two different things.

Same here.  What I have noticed tho is that Q searches are peaking right now and search engines/social media sites are starting to block the results.  Not exactly sure how many sites, but I've seen something about Tik Tok and Google Shopping in the UK, kind of weird if you ask me.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

The relevance is that if people don’t understand the basics of “how” they are getting their information then they are not in a position to make informed decisions. And no this doesn’t change the fact that he was factually wrong on his statement about most searched term.

An unfortunate side effect of the whole targeted social media and search engine world is that more and more we live in an echo chamber. So  conspiracy theories like Q thrive as people are starved of alternative viewpoints.

I’ve never understood magical thinkers. How they can cling desperately to their alternative view of reality despite all the evidence. Remember Rhys with his 9/11 theories? This Q stuff is the same. Every effort to contain the misinformation is met as a confirmation of deep state involvement by the believers. It’s a real conundrum.

Edited by nigel99
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

I’ve never understood magical thinkers. How they can cling desperately to their alternative view of reality despite all the evidence.

Same here. But I do get how they choose the information that forms their world views. They aren't searching for facts that should be tested. They are searching for affirmation that should be believed. Facebook's News feed, for example, is tailor made for todays lazy thinkers. So are FOX, MSNBC, OANN, CNN and others truth be known. Seems like the information age renaissance arrived in advance of our capabilities.

9 hours ago, yoink said:

You must have known that someone here would fact check that statement so why would you post knowing that you're setting yourself up?

All of you are missing the point.

The jury (for me anyway) is still out on whether Ron is actually delusional enough to be a True Believer.

There is however NO doubt whatsoever that he is an expert button pusher whose glee at getting everyone riled up on here informs every single one of his posts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistercwood said:

All of you are missing the point.

The jury (for me anyway) is still out on whether Ron is actually delusional enough to be a True Believer.

There is however NO doubt whatsoever that he is an expert button pusher whose glee at getting everyone riled up on here informs every single one of his posts.

Ron doesn’t rile me up because he’s very consistent in how he posts. He has belief and posts in line with those. While I might not understand some of his beliefs it doesn’t annoy me.

Other posters who I’ve blocked are as variable as a fart in the wind. They’re only in it for the internet points. THAT riles me up on a discussion forum.

44 minutes ago, yoink said:

Ron doesn’t rile me up because he’s very consistent in how he posts. He has belief and posts in line with those. While I might not understand some of his beliefs it doesn’t annoy me.

Other posters who I’ve blocked are as variable as a fart in the wind. They’re only in it for the internet points. THAT riles me up on a discussion forum.

I completely agree. Ron is an interesting poster. He’s very consistent, polite and certainly not a troll. The fact that I don’t understand his belief system is something I like about speakers corner - we are less of an echo chamber as we get exposed to diverse views 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

For those with access to the NYT they have a long article about Inside the Boogaloo: America's Extremely Online Extremists in the Magazine.

It speaks to other gun loving extremists who have a couple things in common with Qanon.

Love guns, hate government,hate cops, hate liberals,Blacks,Browns and non-whites.

Meh - there's a lot going on in that article.  What I found particularly interesting was the part about how some also espouse racial justice and climate change issues - That “The problem with the Boogaloo bois is they’re not a cohesive movement. . .You could actually, in a really bizarre world, have two Boogaloo groups shooting at each other.”

"If there is one thing that binds the Boogaloo together besides guns and Hawaiian shirts, it is a firm anti-authority, anti-law-enforcement stance — and a willingness, if not an outright desire, to bring about the collapse of American society. . .It is on the issue of law enforcement that the Boogaloo seems to greatly diverge from the militias that came before it."

I thought the artwork was rather interesting as well:

23mag-boogaloo-master1050.jpg

And while many of those involved in this ideological clusterfuck may follow Q, I think Qanon is a relatively "passive" movement by comparison, mostly concentrating their efforts online in a broad attempt to garner votes in support for Trump.

57 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Meh - there's a lot going on in that article.  What I found particularly interesting was the part about how some also espouse racial justice and climate change issues - That “The problem with the Boogaloo bois is they’re not a cohesive movement. . .You could actually, in a really bizarre world, have two Boogaloo groups shooting at each other.”

"If there is one thing that binds the Boogaloo together besides guns and Hawaiian shirts, it is a firm anti-authority, anti-law-enforcement stance — and a willingness, if not an outright desire, to bring about the collapse of American society. . .It is on the issue of law enforcement that the Boogaloo seems to greatly diverge from the militias that came before it."

I thought the artwork was rather interesting as well:

23mag-boogaloo-master1050.jpg

And while many of those involved in this ideological clusterfuck may follow Q, I think Qanon is a relatively "passive" movement by comparison, mostly concentrating their efforts online in a broad attempt to garner votes in support for Trump.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Q after Trump is gone from office, either this year or at the end of his next term. Trolls like that exist for the thrill of the response so they'll HAVE to slowly alter their narrative to stay relevant. 

A. I completely agree with Nigel and Yoink about Ron -- where else but here can I engage with people who think so differently? Yeah, there's FB (I used to be a Texas jumper, so there's a huge variety of very conservative jumpers to choose from), but it's not a discussion forum, it's a loudspeaker.

B. The Boogaloo Bois seem to be slightly more organized and slightly more ideologically aligned than "antifa." But only slightly.

Wendy P.