wmw999

All you guys who wanted Millenials to stop worrying about the environment

I think you have your wish now.

Iran is abandoning its nuclear limits, and Iraq is kicking us out of the country. I'm guessing Trump won't go quietly. Cool, maybe we can have another war. Well, the six of them who think that a war that we triggered (not caused, but triggered) in the ME is a good idea might like it.

Asshole (Trump, that is)

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

And by listening only to selected sources that you already trust, you know the real truth? MSM for me includes sources in the US, England, and Brazil. Not a lot aligned among those three. 

Confirmation bias much? Search for things that disagree with you, and see if they stand up. Don't search for things that confirm what you already believe. You can always find confirmation; it's harder to make an honest effort at disproving and keep that confirmation.

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And by listening only to selected sources that you already trust, you know the real truth? MSM for me includes sources in the US, England, and Brazil. Not a lot aligned among those three. 

Confirmation bias much? Search for things that disagree with you, and see if they stand up. Don't search for things that confirm what you already believe. You can always find confirmation; it's harder to make an honest effort at disproving and keep that confirmation.

Wendy P.

The crashing of the SSS system was widely reported.  

(edited)
37 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The crashing of the SSS system was widely reported.  

I believe she meant the idea that the 'new generation' has no clue how to differentiate between 'real' and 'imagined' threats.

I don't disagree that many young folks haven't learned decent 'critical thinking' skills. 
That is, comparing and contrasting different sources, learning how to evaluate the reliability of those sources, being objective enough to search out sources that confirm what you don't like and disprove what you do like. 

But some have. 

And to think that all older people have any clue what's real and what's not is ridiculous.

Look how many bought into Trump's "FAKE NEWS!!!!!" cries. And how many think "Q" is a valid source.

Also, to think that an Act of War against Iran isn't a serious issue, a potential spark for a pretty big conflict, is to disregard a lot of history.

Edit to add:

Funny that I read this immediately after making the original post:

Again, Heather Cox Richardson on FB.

Iran has united in a way they haven't in a while (shades of the US in Sept 2001?)

Trump has threatened to commit war crimes. 
He is using Twitter as an 'official notice to Congress'.

And (from the link):

"Retired General David Petraeus, who led the U.S. surge in Iraq, said: 'There’s no question that the tensions have been dramatically increased as a result of this action…. This is clearly heading in a very bad direction. Make no mistake about it: There will be losses on all sides if this escalates further.'"

Edited by wolfriverjoe

18 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Congress twitter responded. Basically the leaders of the US are arguing on Twitter about declaring war.

While Twitter forgets they have a TOS that would have you think making war crime threats might get your account suspended or removed.

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Unfortunately the MSM has created generations of people who don't have a clue about what a real threat vs. perceived threat looks like.

And even more unfortunately, we now have a president (and a political party) who celebrates the uneducated.

According to the Iraqi President (prime minister?) the General was an invited guest, bearing an official response from the Iranian government to an Iraqi proposal aimed at de-escalating the tensions between Iran and the Saudis. The Mango Mussolini, in launching the drone strike, has assassinated a de-facto diplomatic courier, engaged on a diplomatic mission on the soil of a host country.

This violation of the 1961 Vienna Convention will have the result of painting a bullseye on the back of every US and UK diplomat around the world (I include the UK because our shitstick government is very likely to back US actions) and make them legitimate targets for retaliation. Way to go, Donny! Bigly winning!

• Like 1

My original post was directed against the people who think Millennials whine, not the Millennials themselves. Sure, some whine. But so do the old guys who want the America they remember (that never existed -- only in their town).

Wendy P.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

My original post was directed against the people who think Millennials whine, not the Millennials themselves.

I'm 62 and I have absolutely no patience with people of any age who criticize younger generations as a group. As far as I'm concerned younger people are smarter and have better tools to meet more challenges than I ever did.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, billvon said:

And even more unfortunately, we now have a president (and a political party) who celebrates the uneducated.

Somehow I doubt it was uneducated young conservatives attempting to figure out how to avoid a draft that hasn't been used since 1973.

21 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

My original post was directed against the people who think Millennials whine, not the Millennials themselves. Sure, some whine. But so do the old guys who want the America they remember (that never existed -- only in their town).

Wendy P.

Everybody whines about something.  I'm not yearning for the America of my youth.  My life is so much better now than it was then.

21 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'm 62 and I have absolutely no patience with people of any age who criticize younger generations as a group. As far as I'm concerned younger people are smarter and have better tools to meet more challenges than I ever did.

I'm 61 and while I agree they are more intelligent and have better tools I also feel bad for them.  They've been the guinea pigs for media saturation and from my vantage point it's not good.  That many are unable to differentiate threats is more an indictment of their situation and that they seem to be afraid of everything.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'm 61 and while I agree they are more intelligent and have better tools I also feel bad for them.  They've been the guinea pigs for media saturation and from my vantage point it's not good.  That many are unable to differentiate threats is more an indictment of their situation and that they seem to be afraid of everything.

Jesus! We're a bunch of crotchety old farts. Boy does that explain a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

A number of veteran groups I'm in have a growing content of complaint from old vets regarding how dysfunctional and completely unqualified for military service the youth are today.

I've had to chuckle at the list of complaints and the descriptions of current behavior - it sounds JUST LIKE most of us were when we hit boot camp.

Using years of experience in life as a judgement on those just getting started on their journey is complete dismissal of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rifleman said:

According to the Iraqi President (prime minister?) the General was an invited guest, bearing an official response from the Iranian government to an Iraqi proposal aimed at de-escalating the tensions between Iran and the Saudis. The Mango Mussolini, in launching the drone strike, has assassinated a de-facto diplomatic courier, engaged on a diplomatic mission on the soil of a host country.

This violation of the 1961 Vienna Convention will have the result of painting a bullseye on the back of every US and UK diplomat around the world (I include the UK because our shitstick government is very likely to back US actions) and make them legitimate targets for retaliation. Way to go, Donny! Bigly winning!

. . . you lost a lot at "Mango" I just can't take it seriously when you demean to dehumanize.

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Somehow I doubt it was uneducated young conservatives attempting to figure out how to avoid a draft that hasn't been used since 1973.

Agreed.  He was referring to uneducated conservatives who voted for him - and who remain his most critical base.

They've been the guinea pigs for media saturation and from my vantage point it's not good.

Oh please.  Like no previous generation has been exposed to massive amounts of media.

Been to a house with young kids recently?  You'll most likely hear discussions about screen time limits.  Compare that to 30 years ago where TV's were often used as babysitters.  We are, in general, smarter today about media exposure to kids.

3 hours ago, normiss said:

A number of veteran groups I'm in have a growing content of complaint from old vets regarding how dysfunctional and completely unqualified for military service the youth are today.

I've had to chuckle at the list of complaints and the descriptions of current behavior - it sounds JUST LIKE most of us were when we hit boot camp.

Using years of experience in life as a judgement on those just getting started on their journey is complete dismissal of them.

Always hire youth. That, or you won't have anyone to sort out your smart phone.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

As long as you can admit to the similarity of this and what you are are advocating with Trump.

Mango is a colour, in this usage. It does not dehumanize, it mocks. There is a difference. Calling someone a turtle? Now that's dehumanizing!

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

. . . you lost a lot at "Mango" I just can't take it seriously when you demean to dehumanize.

Dude, he is referring to a guy who has been accused of raping 3 women and sexually assaulting 11.  Who bragged about getting away with those assults on a TV show.  Whose son just posted a picture of his AR-15 with a picture of Hillary Clinton on it alongside a white supremacist symbol.  Who mocks disabled reporters at campaign rallies.  Who mocks wounded veterans and Gold Star families via tweets - while his wife supposedly battles online bullying.  Who supports white nationalism.  Who called Mexicans rapists, and black and Arab countries "shitholes."

If you're going to be a snowflake about this, perhaps find a different person to be a snowflake about.  Someone who doesn't specialize in doing precisely what makes you (supposedly) not take someone else seriously.

• Like 4