brenthutch

Climatism, the new religion

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-religion-of-climatism/?utm_source=CCNet+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a9f3a3f8c2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_12_31_02_55&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fe4b2f45ef-a9f3a3f8c2-36447085&mc_cid=a9f3a3f8c2&mc_eid=f4e33fdd1e

"Greta Thunberg, the teenager from Stockholm, is the prophet of a new religion sweeping the West. Call it Climatism. Like any religion worthy of the name, it comes with its own catechism (what to believe) and eschatology (how the world will end). Thunberg’s bible is the latest report of the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which gives us 12 years to save civilization as we know it."

Now I know why some folks are so dug in on this global warming thing.  Telling them there is no such thing as CAGW (catastrophic anthropogenic global warming) , is akin to telling RonD1120 there is no God.

56 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Did you even read the entire article?

It's pure politicization.  No substance.  There are people who fear that global warming is destroying the planet and are overzealous.  Got it.

30 minutes ago, DJL said:

It's pure politicization.  No substance.  There are people who fear that global warming is destroying the planet and are overzealous.  Got it.

No its more than that.  I read somewhere else that the belief in man made global warming is the preferred religion of urban atheists.  It has some of the same hallmarks.  Think about it, aren't carbon offset purchases just another form of dispensation?  Don't climate change protests remind you of an old fashioned tent revival? Isn't ones carbon footprint (we all have one) the same as original sin?  What is a carbon tax if not a form of tithing? The belief in something invisible yet very powerful? Just listen to Greta's preaching, it makes the old Testament look like a children's bedtime story.

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I read somewhere else that the belief in man made global warming is the preferred religion of urban atheists. 

I live in a city and am an athiest and have a large extended network of friends who live in cities and are religious, athiest or nothing.  I haven't seen such a group.  I'm sure you did read something somewhere that said that and I'm sure there was some kind of super liberal party or even onetime that looks a lot like a revival.  I've been to a few green energy festivals and seminars in New England that were full of people who we would both consider to be judgmental elitist liberal assholes, yes they exist.  But these allegorical cases of people being fervent about what they think we should do doesn't mean they're wrong about what we should do, they're just annoyingly passionate.  I'm sure even Thunberg's parents and thinking "Oh come, just take the damn airplane".

• Like 2

I am not talking about "judgmental elitist liberal assholes", I am talking about people like my Aunt, whose life found new meaning when she joined in on the climate crusade. She has gone to DC to protest and to lobby (she lives in Wisconsin), she has written several op eds that have been published in the local paper, she proselytizes me with the earnestly of someone concerned  for my immortal soul.  She is not alone.  The former head of the IPCC, Rajendra Pachauri said " "For me, the protection of planet Earth, the survival of all species and sustainability of our ecosystems is more than a mission. It is my religion and my dharma." That sentiment has been echoed by thousands of others including Harrison Ford and Prince Charles to name a couple. 

Edited by brenthutch

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I am not talking about "judgmental elitist liberal assholes", I am talking about people like my Aunt, whose life has found new meaning when she joined in on the climate crusade. She has gone to DC to protest and to lobby (she lives in Wisconsin), she has written several op eds that have been published in the local paper, she proselytizes me with the earnestly of someone concerned  for my immoral soul.  She is not alone.

And are you as smugly sarcastic and superior with her?

Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I'm wondering if it truly is an existential threat.  What do you day alarmists?

Not for most Americans, other than some poor ones in coastal areas.  Katrina and Maria come to mind; arguably over 4000 people died in them. Mainly poor people with poor options for evacuation. Some with poor decision-making skills, but not 4000 of them. 

So it’ll be if it keeps warming; we won’t be hurt mostly, but people who don’t have a lot of options or resources will be hurt. Just as people who live paycheck to paycheck are impacted seriously if their car dies. 

Existential probably overstated it. But is it good for me to expect people with very little to pay for my convenience and comfort with their lives or way of living?

Wendy P. 

(edited)

Wendy, did you know that 6000-12,000 people died in the Galveston hurricane of 1900?  Long before global warming, people were dying from natural disasters.  In the last hundred years, development fueled by fossil fuels, has resulted in a reduction in weather related deaths by >90%.  The deaths from Katrina and Maria were not a result of  unprecedented super storms, they died because local governments were ineffective and corrupt.  A vastly more powerful storm hit the Bahamas, resulting in only 70 deaths. 

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
12 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Has he grounded all of his aircraft?

Looks like no;

"Harrison Ford is one of Hollywood’s most famous climate crusaders. He owns multiple extravagant homes, plus a reported 12 private planes, nine motorcycles, and six gasoline-powered automobiles.

His private plane collection includes two gas-guzzling corporate jets. Even though his opulent lifestyle depends upon copious amounts of fossil fuel energy, he speaks forcefully about his commitment to fighting climate change."

"Flying is like good music; it elevates the spirit and it’s an exhilarating freedom. I’m so passionate about flying I often fly up the coast for a cheeseburger." H.F.

AKA typical climate crusader hypocrite. 

Edited by brenthutch

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Think about it, aren't carbon offset purchases just another form of dispensation? 

Nope.

Don't climate change protests remind you of an old fashioned tent revival?

Nope.

Isn't ones carbon footprint (we all have one) the same as original sin? 

Nope.  That doesn't even make a bit of sense.

What is a carbon tax if not a form of tithing?

You mean like tariffs?  Perhaps.  But unlike tariffs, a carbon tax would have a real and immediate benefit.

The belief in something invisible yet very powerful? Just listen to Greta's preaching, it makes the old Testament look like a children's bedtime story.

Not even a little bit.  But keep trying; throw enough on the wall and something might stick.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Wendy, did you know that 6000-12,000 people died in the Galveston hurricane of 1900? 

Did you know that in 1918, 100 million people died from the Spanish flu?

Long before global warming, people were dying from natural disasters.  In the last hundred years, development fueled by fossil fuels, has resulted in a reduction in weather related deaths by >90%. 

Yep.  And death rates from AIDS have dropped precipitously.  What is the best conclusion you can draw from that fact?

-Unsafe sex is no longer dangerous, and people who talk about using condoms and whatnot are stupid alarmists.

-Medical advances have helped people survive disease, even diseases like HIV - and safe sex awareness is part of that.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

Did you know that in 1918, 100 million people died from the Spanish flu?

Yep.  And death rates from AIDS have dropped precipitously.  What is the best conclusion you can draw from that fact?

-Unsafe sex is no longer dangerous, and people who talk about using condoms and whatnot are stupid alarmists.

-Medical advances have helped people survive disease, even diseases like HIV - and safe sex awareness is part of that.

Or don't let a dude stick his penis up your butt if you are a dude.  A simple behavioral modification.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Or don't let a dude stick his penis up your butt if you are a dude.  A simple behavioral modification.

And homophobia, too!  Awesome way to end 2019.  Congrats on maintaining your party's agenda all the way to the end of the year.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, billvon said:

And homophobia, too!  Awesome way to end 2019.  Congrats on maintaining your party's agenda all the way to the end of the year.

Do you, or do you not believe that something can be disagreed with, without irrational fear attached to it?

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Not only a billyvance level of crude, but shows complete ignorance of the fact that HIV is most commonly spread among straight couples.

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Not only a billyvance level of crude, but shows complete ignorance of the fact that HIV is most commonly spread among straight couples.

It was a joke, I forgot that you lefties are bereft of humor.  Don't forget to say your ten hail Greta's and have a good new year.