2 2
DJL

US Baghdad Embassy Attacked by Protesters

(edited)
58 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi DJL,

How can the most undiplomatic administration in our history do just that?

Jerry Baumchen

Yup.  That's the brick wall we're going to run into and we'll have just turned the clock back 30 years. Hope we have a plan.

Edited by DJL

6 minutes ago, DJL said:

Yup.  That's the brick wall we're going to run into and we'll have just turned the clock back 30 years. Hope we have a plan.

Now that right there is funny.

You think any of Trumps hand-picked swamp critters has any idea of what a "plan" is?

At this point we would be better off if Bannon was still in there; He absolutely hated foreign military intervention.

I have no problem with the targeted strike on Soleimani. Bad man meets a bad end, I won't be shedding tears over that.

My issue is that I have zero faith in Trump thinking through ramification and outcomes and appears to be solely guided by his ego. I am afraid that could lead to disastrous results.

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I have no problem with the targeted strike on Soleimani. Bad man meets a bad end, I won't be shedding tears over that.

My issue is that I have zero faith in Trump thinking through ramification and outcomes and appears to be solely guided by his ego. I am afraid that could lead to disastrous results.

Iraq is already calling for a vote for us to entirely remove our forces from the country.  We left Syria, now we're out of Iraq.  All those lives lost so we could safely plant our feet on that soil and conduct diplomatic, humanitarian and military operations.

55 minutes ago, jclalor said:

I just find it perplexing after spending trillions of dollars and thousands of lives to “liberate” Iraq, only to now find them Now allied with our main enemy.

Who would’ve thought politics in the Middle East could be so complicated?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jclalor said:

I just find it perplexing after spending trillions of dollars and thousands of lives to “liberate” Iraq, only to now find them Now allied with our main enemy.

after leaving the kurds and unleashing the prisoners they were guarding right back into their back yard, what did you think would happen?  this idiot is a traitor and needs removed before he kills us all.  his "negotiations" went well with north korea, and his china policy is working great also.  his handler, i mean putin, has a great grasp on the situation and i fear we are all in for it.  his only loyalty is to himself and his bank account and it shows to the rest of the world as well. 

17 hours ago, normiss said:

This is going to get ugly.

Hi Mark,

Yes, it very much could.

Or, it could be something like this:  Operation "Wrath of God" was a covert operation directed by Mossad to assassinate individuals involved in the 1972 Munich massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wrath_of_God

This came to mind when I first read about this killing.

Jerry Baumchen

9 minutes ago, normiss said:

Tell me exactly which government officials Obama took out.

This was an outright unauthorized act of war.

He can't. They never can actually point to what your friend Barry did that might start a war. Obama droned a lot of assholes and I always supported it. I also supported President Bush using drones to kill assholes. I totally support using Seals, Delta, Rangers or any US or allied special forces to do nasty work against combatants in a war. But using drones to assassinate a foreign government official on an allies soil is just asking for big trouble. And let's be honest here, Trump is an unprepared moron who has denuded the government of capable advisors--not that he'd listen anyway--so this is especially freaky.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, normiss said:

It's just their normal dumbass method of only looking at half the story. In this case, since the Obama administration used drone strikes, all drone strikes must be ok no matter where or who the target is. If Trump stabbed someone on live TV one of these guys would claim it's fine because Obama also used a knife to butter his toast in the morning.

5 hours ago, normiss said:

You don't thinks some of the 473 drone strikes splattered some government officials?  Just remember the 3 US citizens he killed in Yemen.

Is that where you draw the line?

The Pentagon says Soleimani and his troops were "responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more."

Known as Iran's "shadow commander," Soleimani -- who had led the Quds Force since 1998 -- was the mastermind of Iranian military operations in Iraq and Syria.

US officials believe that during the Iraq war, it was Soleimani's units that provided Iraqi insurgents with specially made bombs that could penetrate armor, a deadly weapon against American forces -- a claim Iran denied.

During the war against ISIS, Soleimani was also often reported to be on the battlefields in Iraq, slipping in and out of the country to help Shia Iraqi forces battle extremist militants.

Soleimani's Quds Force also wreaked havoc far beyond the Middle East.

US Treasury officials say Soleimani was involved in a notorious plot on American soil, overseeing Quds Force officers who in 2011 tried and failed to assassinate Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States Adel Al-Jubeir at Washington's upscale Cafe Milano.

In a statement on Friday, the Defense Department said Soleimani was "actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region."
It blamed the Iranian general for orchestrating attacks on coalition bases in Iraq in recent months, including an attack on December 27 that culminated in the deaths of an American contractor and Iraqi personnel.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/asia/soleimani-profile-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm quite glad he's gone.  He was a General and fair prey.

50 minutes ago, airdvr said:

You don't thinks some of the 473 drone strikes splattered some government officials?  Just remember the 3 US citizens he killed in Yemen.

Is that where you draw the line?

The Pentagon says Soleimani and his troops were "responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more."

Known as Iran's "shadow commander," Soleimani -- who had led the Quds Force since 1998 -- was the mastermind of Iranian military operations in Iraq and Syria.

US officials believe that during the Iraq war, it was Soleimani's units that provided Iraqi insurgents with specially made bombs that could penetrate armor, a deadly weapon against American forces -- a claim Iran denied.

During the war against ISIS, Soleimani was also often reported to be on the battlefields in Iraq, slipping in and out of the country to help Shia Iraqi forces battle extremist militants.

Soleimani's Quds Force also wreaked havoc far beyond the Middle East.

US Treasury officials say Soleimani was involved in a notorious plot on American soil, overseeing Quds Force officers who in 2011 tried and failed to assassinate Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States Adel Al-Jubeir at Washington's upscale Cafe Milano.

In a statement on Friday, the Defense Department said Soleimani was "actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region."
It blamed the Iranian general for orchestrating attacks on coalition bases in Iraq in recent months, including an attack on December 27 that culminated in the deaths of an American contractor and Iraqi personnel.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/asia/soleimani-profile-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm quite glad he's gone.  He was a General and fair prey.

Well, international law, war time treaties, and simple logic see acts of war quite differently than you do, thankfully.

Taking out a non-state terrorist is one thing, taking out a government official of another nation is something else entirely, as it's considered an act of war. Acts of war require congressional approval, which this act lacked. Generals of opposing nations, during a TIME OF WAR, are fair targets, yes. We weren't at war with Iran when he was assassinated, although given it is an overt act of war to assassinate a government official, we are now. Which is confusing, given we did take action against those that did kill a contractor.

You should watch a few ABC After School Specials, start getting into government functions and how all the differing agencies actually work, within the law.

This wasn't that. Trump flat out intentionally avoided even notifying congress because he's petulantly agree at them because they impeached him. For criminal acts. Lessor acts than this one for that matter.

Just another laundry list entry into Trump's impeachable offenses.

I still have faith that our courts, judges, and the rule of law will win out with mafia Trump.

WTAF is the treasury department doing discussing military acts and offenses? outside of fiduciary protections anyway?

10 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Why?  Do they live in California?

no, but iran has been inside our grid for years, along with a few other nations. not to mention the oil and gas industry, and most of the financial sector.  we opened a can of whoop ass alright, we just are not ready to deal with the spillover.