2 2
DJL

US Baghdad Embassy Attacked by Protesters

US Baghdad embassy attacked by protesters angry at air strikes

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50956111

There are many things going on at once.  First the backstory is that the US sent air strikes against Iran backed Hezbollah terrorists who were responsible for the death of a US citizen.  This apparently was not sanctioned by the government of Iraq and they have said that this move violated their sovereignty.  We (Trump) is blaming Iran for creating and supporting the protesters who attacked the US Embassy but were repelled by US soldiers using tear gas and flash bangs.

So here we are with a protest over an issue for which the country has already made statements against us and the person claiming another country is responsible for it has been shown to get his information from conspiracy theories generated in Russia.  This business will get out of control.

Aaaannnnnd, we're sending in choppers now too.

Interesting how it's one nation's fault and responsibility for protests in another nation.

I'm waiting to hear how Obama is involved in this one too.

We absolutely cannot trust anything the current administration tells us, if they tell us anything.

This is America???

8 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i would not be a bit surprised to find out that he orchestrated the protest as a distraction from the impeachment.

He didn't do it!

OK he did it but it's not that bad.

Obama once organized a protest.  Blame him!

Republicans seem to have learned a lesson from their mistakes that created the US Embassy attack in Libya in 2012.

I'm seeing a lot of "there will be no Benghazi in Iraq" comments from the Republicans.

At the very least they seem to want to commit to not repeating their previous failure.

Agreed.  Just wish someone else would point out the disconnect publicly.  Although I do applaud their attempt simply to ignore the train of thought, since those sentiments aren't really getting a lot of traction (unless I'm missing something -- I am out in the rural South Pacific!)

• Like 2

Shall we play a game?

US Airstrike at Baghdad airport kills Iran’s most revered military leader, Qassem Soleimani, Iraqi state television reports.

Iran will see this as a declaration of war.

Impeachment distraction activated.

The US isn't prepared in the region for this. This is going to get ugly.

4 minutes ago, normiss said:

Shall we play a game?

US Airstrike at Baghdad airport kills Iran’s most revered military leader, Qassem Soleimani, Iraqi state television reports.

I just saw that, and it has me puzzled.

How was an Iranian general killed by an airstrike at an airport in Iraq???

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Shall we play a game?

This was an assassination. America will refuse to call it that, but that’s what it is. Congratulations they have just made murder an acceptable part of foreign policy and state craft. They will not like it when the other shoe falls.

This is clearly the opening shot in Trump’s election year war.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

How was an Iranian general killed by an airstrike at an airport in Iraq???

Also killed was a member of a Shia Iraqi militia group (bolding mine):

Soleimani -- the head of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force unit -- and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis -- the deputy head of the Iran-backed Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) -- were among those killed in the attack early Friday morning local time, according to a statement from the PMF, which said the pair "were martyred by an American strike."

Formed in 2014 to fight ISIS, the PMF is a Shia paramilitary force made up of former militias with close ties to Iran. It was recognized under a 2016 Iraqi law as an independent military force that answers directly to the prime minister.

-CNN

Perhaps Soleimani was meeting with al-Muhandis?  Perhaps they were in coordination? Perhaps Souleimani was going to the airport to fly back to Iran?  A few more questions need to be answered about this targeted strike.  Interestingly, the Pentagon statement said it was a targeted strike, specifically aiming for Soleimani, at the behest of the president. 

On 12/31/2019 at 12:15 PM, normiss said:

Aaaannnnnd, we're sending in choppers now too.

Interesting how it's one nation's fault and responsibility for protests in another nation.

I'm waiting to hear how Obama is involved in this one too.

We absolutely cannot trust anything the current administration tells us, if they tell us anything.

This is America???

Susie Q

REDROVERWTF

IM1RU12?

The Pastries are in Control

Viva La Patisserie!

And apparently Trump did not notify anyone in Congress about the attack.

I'm not sure that makes it illegal, but it might.

There's also the fact that the Iranians recently held joint exercises with the Russians & Chinese (for the first time).
Gotta wonder what Putin thinks about it. 

And if Trump told him, but not Congress.

11 hours ago, gowlerk said:

This was an assassination. America will refuse to call it that, but that’s what it is. Congratulations they have just made murder an acceptable part of foreign policy and state craft. They will not like it when the other shoe falls.

This is clearly the opening shot in Trump’s election year war.

New year, new war.

Just now, wolfriverjoe said:

And apparently Trump did not notify anyone in Congress about the attack.

I'm not sure that makes it illegal, but it might.There's also the fact that the Iranians recently held joint exercises with the Russians & Chinese (for the first time).
Gotta wonder what Putin thinks about it. 

And if Trump told him, but not Congress.

This wasn't illegal but he chose a target a little further into the legitimate structure of a sovereign nation than your typical ISIS henchman.  I think Putin likes that Iraq has also spoken out against this attack and the US could be down one more ally in the Middle East. Unless we move quickly with some diplomacy I wouldn't be surprised to see Iraq call for us to remove all forces and suspend all military flyover privileges of their airspace. 

Congress is already claiming this was an act of war without an Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) against Iran.

Trump's got quite a growing list of impeachable offenses, yet nobody cares.

Pompeo claims the world is a safer place now, yet the State Dept. says:

New U.S. travel advice for Iraq:

Depart Iraq immediately

Depart via airline “while possible”

Failing that, to “other countries via land” (what other countries? Iran? Syria?)

U.S. citizens should not approach the embassy

Maybe Mexico should assassinate one of our officials for the acts of war of imprisoning their citizens and children at the border. Seems like an equally accepted act.

14 hours ago, normiss said:

Shall we play a game?

Your hero Barry did it for years with drone strikes. Now you're outraged.  Pot meet kettle.