3 3
b3altena

6'7, 350 lbs, Ex O-Line men, dream of skydiving

Question

I have gone from 405 to 350 and my only goal is to go skydiving. I am willing to go anywhere in the USA to drop out of a plane. 

Is the only way this is possible is to drop another 75 lbs to get to 275? 

What's the maximum weight I have to get to or is this unrealistic for a giant? 

7 answers to this question

there are very few people in your weight range that end up getting a skydiving licence. There was a guy named aubrey who was over 300lbs who jumped for a few years 2003-2005 and was active on this site.

I looked up his first post, but you can search his user name for more. His name comes up often when large people ask on here about jumping. 

13 hours ago, b3altena said:

What's the maximum weight I have to get to or is this unrealistic for a giant? 

You'll need to get to 250#

Me: 6'6" 250#

You can do it. One of my students worked out at the gym for 2 hours in the morning; went to work; at lunch ran 8-10 miles every weekday; went home to spend time with Momma and put the kids to bed; Went back to the gym to workout for another two hours. He did this for a year and lost 150# 

You sound motivated. I hope you make it.  

(edited)

I originally asked how tall you were, but I see that it is in the title.

Even being very tall that weight is going to make it very tough for you to get into the sport.

You are going to much safer and have more longevity in the sport at 250.

Give fasting a try, and combined it with heavy resistance training to give your body the signal to spare muscle and burn body fat.

Search for Jason Fung on youtube. Interesting guy and while his medical practice is directed at helping those whose weight is causing health problem the overall concepts are the same.

Edited by DougH

Call around an ask until you find a skydiving school that has a modified tandem rig for extra-large students.

My largest tandem student was a 270-pound, retired rugby player. He had thighs the size of tree trunks! ... so I did not worry about breaking him. He listened well and helped me steer the canopy and we were all smiles as we slid to a stop in the wet grass.

Are you looking to become a 'real skydiver'? 
Or just wanting a 'one & done' tandem?

The second is somewhat possible.
The first is going to be pretty hard.

Tandem rigs are usually rated for 500# exit weight. The rigs themselves weigh roughly 60#. Total student/instructor weight can total 440#. Theoretically, you could find a 90# tandem instructor and fit this bill. I have never met one, nor would I recommend this route as they would have little to no control of freefall with your size in comparison.

Alternatively, some dropzones have modified tandem rigs to allow students to jump them. Meaning you could fit this weight limit much easier. If you can find a DZ that has one of these, take a ground school class, and spend some time in a tunnel with an instructor. This also presents a problem as most tunnels have a 300# limit. You'll at least have to do some good negotiating with the tunnel staff to be allowed in, and you'll have to be trim enough to fit into one of their suits. I'm 6'6" 230#, my brother is a former right guard currently at 6'4" 320# and we were able to get him in the tunnel because he was physically fit, as most linemen are, and his height gave him a really large canvas to catch wind with. The trick to this is the tunnel time, most instructors will be nervous about keeping up with you in flight because you will fall like a bag of bricks. I am only at 230# and some instructors had trouble keeping up. Having tunnel time will allow both parties to trust you at least know correct body position and what to expect with regards to wind. This options requires a perfect match-up of DZ, gear, tunnel, and instructors. Long-shot, I don't know of any that could, but its possible to find. I would recommend finding a larger DZ with the equipment and a couple larger, accommodating instructors. Work with them on how to get a jump in.

Being a "giant" usually helps when weight is concerned due to your ability to get big and catch more air. Your range of fall rate in the sky could be large due to your height. There's just a limit to everything. I would recommend getting under 300# and this task would be a considerable bit more manageable. 

If you make it, especially to your license, please write a post with pictures. I'm sure there a number of guys in your position.

It may (or not) be helpful to reach out to former Bills O.T. Justin Cross and pick his brain. I know he earned  a license back in the early '90's.  Man, the dude FILLED the door of a 182.