1 1
airnutt

Getting into wingsuiting

I've been jumping for quite a few years and have been jumping a 9 cell 120, i'm looking at finding a canopy first before I buy or even jump a wingsuit, I've found a spectre 135, ive been recommended to go one size bigger than what i'm currently jumping and a find a seven cell.My question is the spectre a good choice and also my choosing of size ok. any helpful advice would be great

• Like 1

Spectre does a reasonable job as a canopy.  There are, of course, more ideal options, but most cost a lot more money (and a few alternatives in the same ballpark - Sabre1, Triathlon, Pilot9).  Certainly plenty of people wingsuitting with spectres out there.

The question of size boils down more to wingloading - most don't recommend > 1-1.2ish to start (you can work your way up from there once you get the opening technique down more, or choose to stay there as many professional wingsuitters do).  A lot of people are higher wingloaded, many substantially (i.e. me), but for the first couple hundred jumps while you fine tune openings you risk higher probability of spinning line twists if you get too happy with the wingloading.

• Like 1

Spectres are alright, very square and stable, but they tend to snivel longer than you want in a wingsuit canopy. Longer snivel = more chance for line twists. Personally I think the 9 cell Pilot is the best all around WS canopy. Short snivels, flat glide for getting back from long spots, and stable in twists. Of the wingsuit-specific canopies on the market I’ve heard the best reviews (from non-sponsored jumpers) about the WinX from Atair. In regard to size, wingloading isn’t the biggest factor, but rather the smaller the canopy the shorter the line set and it puts the canopy more into the wingsuit burble than with a larger canopy. 

• Like 1

You'll be fine with a Spectre. Bigger is better...  The bottom line with WS deployments is packing for a faster deployment and controlling your body position through out the entire deployment sequence. Also understanding the IMPORTANCE of equal harness in put and how to mitigate line twists when they begin will help A LOT!  Read up, there are plenty of good topics/treads/info around here and on the webs.  Daniel Darby with Arcus WS in deland is a well rounded coach just to mention one of MANY talented pilots eager to welcome you to the flock!