STAG

Who Lives In Jacksonville Florida?

(edited)

Big city. Take you an hour to drive from end to end. Beaches suck because the St John River dumps out right there. Very silty. Have to go to Daytona Beach for the first good, not great, beach.

There is jumping in Herlong. Also down the road in Palatka. Palatka is very friendly with a great group of people. They have a couple of good boogies a year. Haven't jumped Herlong in a while. No input for you there. Deland is 75  to 90 minutes south. 

They are tearing down the Jax Landing in downtown Jax. Not sure what is going in there. The landing was a Rouse Corp similar to NYC's South Street Seaport or the one in New Orleans. Riverwalk? Maybe.

Some great areas to live. Some not so great. Ponte Vedra Beach is nice, but you probably can't afford it. If you could, your butler would be posting on here asking about Jax.

Local pro sports is the Jax Jaguars. They'll break your heart. Don't get involved. A lot of UF fans in the area, but some FSU and Georgia as well. UF vs Georgia football is held there every year. Always a big draw. Formerly advertised as the world's biggest cocktail party.  

The St John River runs north through the middle of the town. Some restaurants and hotels built on the banks. Some docks downtown named Ego Alley for the boats that show up on weekends. A lot of cigarette boats. Not sure how the loss of the Landing will affect that.

Large Navy presence. NAS Jax and Naval Station Mayport. Pretty good air show once a year. They use to alternate it one year at NAS Jax and the next year on the beach. Not sure if they still do that.

No state income tax. Property tax is not too bad in Jax. Some snowbirds, but most of them go further south. Some people say Jax is northern Florida. Others say southern Georgia. Make up your own mind. 

And I-95 is always under construction. Always.  

Edited by flyhi

On 1/8/2020 at 11:35 AM, skymama said:

We like visiting there (we just went last weekend), and it's not a place where we'd say, "ugh, we'd never want to live here." Nice town with some beautiful areas. Like everywhere, you get out of it what you put into it.

I'm sorry - I got a chuckle - 

I thought that was Shah . . .^.^