David Wang

feeling peaceful after landing/less nervous in the plane/Line twist on my jump

Hey guys,

I will learn and hear from all of you! Thanks to you all. 

The day before yesterday I took FJC with several friends at Perris, it was long but fun. Yesterday I jumped with my FJC instructor and my first tandem instructor. I've met all of the objectives, good coa and altitude awarenss, three practice pulls unassisted, solo pull. The landing was peaceful and fun.

I've noticed several things.

1) I feel less nervous in the plane, but I don't know why. I remeber I was more scared during my second tandem than my first time, but this time the nerves I felt were the least. Was it because I was too focusing on the stuff I needed to do during freefall and I kinda "forgot" to be nervous,  or it just gradually went away? 

2) I felt excitement of course, but mostly I felt peaceful after landing. It sounds like a dumb question, but was that normal?

3) routine malfunction on my jump--line twist. I wasnt expecting any malfunction on my first AFF jump but it did happen. Not a big deal tho, I spread the risers apart and did some bicycle kicks then everything was perfect again. Was it casued by my poor body position or there were other factors? if it was caused by my body position, how not to create unnecessary issues in the future?

ps: my parents support me on skydiving! I can meet the currecy requirements! I can earn money from different ways.

This is absolutey the best experience ever! Blue Skies! 

Congratulations!  If you see a tall girl with a purple and black Freak 3 wingsuit, feel free to say hi and ask questions. I'm usually there most weekends. 

Line twists are usually bad body position.  Pull, go back to the basic position and arch so that you are symmetrical.  Once the parachute starts to snivel you can put your hands on the risers to stop any twists that might happen during inflation.

Everyone handles stress and adrenaline differently.  You have two tandems and one jump in a fairly short time period I am guessing.  So, that might have helped with the fear.  Instructors also keep you somewhat busy in the plane asking about the ash check, important altitudes, dive flow etc. The talking and rehearsal helps ease the nerves a bit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kat00 said:

Congratulations!  If you see a tall girl with a purple and black Freak 3 wingsuit, feel free to say hi and ask questions. I'm usually there most weekends. 

Line twists are usually bad body position.  Pull, go back to the basic position and arch so that you are symmetrical.  Once the parachute starts to snivel you can put your hands on the risers to stop any twists that might happen during inflation.

Everyone handles stress and adrenaline differently.  You have two tandems and one jump in a fairly short time period I am guessing.  So, that might have helped with the fear.  Instructors also keep you somewhat busy in the plane asking about the ash check, important altitudes, dive flow etc. The talking and rehearsal helps ease the nerves a bit.

Thanks!!! I need to practice my ARCH more..still don't have awareness of my legs...I will try to find you next time! :)

20 minutes ago, kat00 said:

by the way I saw Amelia (jump like a girl) this weekend,, we were on the same plane..

Congrats man! Glad to see your parents are on board and you followed the advice given to you by others on this board to have all your ducks in a row before starting.

1- I find the waiting around to get on the plane worse than the actual plane and jump as well, it feels like once I'm in the plane there is no turning back, helps me come down. (dont worry that will change, you will start looking forward to your jumps rather than be anxious)

2- I can relate to your feeling of peace after landing, you just went from survival mode to feeling safe, endorphins are peaking.

3- Arch, straighten your legs and relax before you pull.

• Like 1

i was fine with plane rides until larry's crash in hawaii this year that killed 11.  when i got to the dz, they were all watching the 182 that had just taken off and i heard them talking about him.  i went over and asked how he was doing these days and found out about the crash.  then they told me about the takeoff and how the new jump pilot almost drug the tail of the plane in the grass and just about didn't clear the trees at the end of the runway.  had i seen that i probably wouldn't have jumped that day but i went up on the load after they took the pilot for a refresher flight.  i have been jumping out of anything that flies for 22 years, civilian and military, and have never much liked planes, but was alright in them.  after this one though, i was almost scared to death.  it should be better after the season starts next year, especially now that i am licensed finally, or at least i hope it gets better.   

6 hours ago, Nabz said:

Congrats man! Glad to see your parents are on board and you followed the advice given to you by others on this board to have all your ducks in a row before starting.

1- I find the waiting around to get on the plane worse than the actual plane and jump as well, it feels like once I'm in the plane there is no turning back, helps me come down. (dont worry that will change, you will start looking forward to your jumps rather than be anxious)

2- I can relate to your feeling of peace after landing, you just went from survival mode to feeling safe, endorphins are peaking.

3- Arch, straighten your legs and relax before you pull.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions bro!! I can't wait for level 2!!! Blue skies!!!

6 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i was fine with plane rides until larry's crash in hawaii this year that killed 11.  when i got to the dz, they were all watching the 182 that had just taken off and i heard them talking about him.  i went over and asked how he was doing these days and found out about the crash.  then they told me about the takeoff and how the new jump pilot almost drug the tail of the plane in the grass and just about didn't clear the trees at the end of the runway.  had i seen that i probably wouldn't have jumped that day but i went up on the load after they took the pilot for a refresher flight.  i have been jumping out of anything that flies for 22 years, civilian and military, and have never much liked planes, but was alright in them.  after this one though, i was almost scared to death.  it should be better after the season starts next year, especially now that i am licensed finally, or at least i hope it gets better.   

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I think we don't have much control of these kind of stuff, so the only thing I can do is to remeber aircraft emergencies I learned in FJC, and do what I supposed to do. About other stuff, I will always keep my fingers crossed!