1 1
nigel99

Solstice celebration

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Ya there were a number of quotes from several posters that shared that sentiment, but that specific quote was your direct contribution and you appear to agree with it.  Now if you're saying that's not what you meant, then there are certainly better ways to communicate that, like not speaking in the first person, or simply using quotation marks.

https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/266794-40-tonnes-of-f-you/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4874307

"It is one thing to celebrate videos of death and destruction and rationalise that it’s ok because ‘you’re the good guys’ and a totally different thing to be ok with the ending of a philosophy.

I can’t wait for Christianity and Islam to die, that does not mean I wish for a single Christian or Muslim to die.  

Personally I think Coreece is performing some mental gymnastics to equate the two."

And btw, I don't believe I was trying to equate the two.

This is pretty remarkable, because I haven't been reading scripture as much as I should be - and for whatever reason (probably because of Ron and this thread) I decided to read again on the 26th.  I love proverbs and there are 31 - at least one for everyday of the month.  Given it was the 26th, I started with proverbs 26 and immediately thought of this thread when I read that.

One of the things that crossed my mind is if I'm deceiving anyone?  I certainly don't think I have, nor did I deliberately intend to.  So let me ask, how have I deceived you?  Do you feel deceived?  If so, how so?

Ah yes, the thread where all the religious guys were having a circle jerk over videos of people getting killed. In that context absolutely I attribute religious beliefs to people’s celebrations of death of the ‘infidel’ and believe the world is a better place without those belief systems.

I was brought up in a very religious household and that proverb was one that was drummed into us. Don’t say mean things or nasty things and then try and get out of it with It was only joking’. It pretty well sums up the exchange between you and Jakee.

edited to add: how ironic that a thread started to celebrate the world and nature is turned into a pissing about religion and who kills more etc. kind of reinforces my belief about religious views :)

Edited by nigel99

9 hours ago, Coreece said:

I brought this up several times already.  Apparently Nigel feels that his celebrations with his family and friends are a safe alternative to Christmas, but see below:

But that too is cause for celebration where people will be traveling rather extensively and drinking or drugging opiates and their psychotropic anti-depression medication, so I'm not sure why you're singling out Christmas.  New Year's Eve is a big one as well, so if you're out traveling around or hosting whatever festivities you choose throughout the year, it's rather hypocritical to blame everyone else for enabling the tragedies that are inherent in any mass celebration. 

That's exactly it. He's not singling out christmas - at least not any of the christian aspects of it. If you feel he has been bashing your religion it is because you have chosen to identify with drunks, drug addicts and violent abusers. 

And also because you're projecting onto him the things you felt when you thought you were an atheist.

4 hours ago, jakee said:
13 hours ago, Coreece said:

But that too is cause for celebration where people will be traveling rather extensively and drinking or drugging opiates and their psychotropic anti-depression medication, so I'm not sure why you're singling out Christmas.  New Year's Eve is a big one as well, so if you're out traveling around or hosting whatever festivities you choose throughout the year, it's rather hypocritical to blame everyone else for enabling the tragedies that are inherent in any mass celebration. 

That's exactly it. He's not singling out christmas - at least not any of the christian aspects of it. If you feel he has been bashing your religion it is because you have chosen to identify with drunks, drug addicts and violent abusers.  

He's singling out those that celebrate Christmas as if they're to blame for enabling these types people to kill others.  So what, where supposed to just stop and celebrate like Nigel?  I mean how is that going to stop those same drunks, drug addicts and violent abusers?  And even if all the drinking/drugging did stop, all the traveling alone would naturally give rise to more traffic fatalities.  So the solution there could be autonomous vehicles working in unison, not Nigel and his traditions, or becoming a shut-in.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

And also because you're projecting onto him the things you felt when you thought you were an atheist.

Jakee, I think you know that I appreciate your grasp on logic and relatively unique way of looking at certain issues, but I'm just not following this one - and I don't really feel inclined to rehash all that stuff from my 20s in an attempt to understand the angle you're coming from here.

10 hours ago, nigel99 said:

how ironic that a thread started to celebrate the world and nature is turned into a. . .

And it would've stayed that way if you just let your beliefs stand on their own authority rather than going on about how it's unimaginable for parents to instill values because of Santa Claus and all your other unnecessary slights.  How about you stop lying to children about how he's not real and educate them on the back ground of Nicholas of Myra - you might find it enlightening.  I mean after all, how could possible instill any values if you just feed your children a bunch of half truths their whole life?

10 hours ago, nigel99 said:

how ironic that a thread started to celebrate the world and nature is turned into a pissing about religion and who kills more etc. kind of reinforces my belief about religious views

Ya right, Gowlerk was the one started talking about the level of mass murder & war throughout history, and then he suddenly didn't want to talk about it any more when he saw the direction wasn't going in his favor.

And what it really showed is that Atheists throughout history were exceedingly more efficient at mass murder and in a much smaller time frame of just several decades - they're grossly over-represented when it comes to their share of killing.

And really it just demonstrates what could happen when atheistic sentiments of hate and bloodthirsty desire for progress are aloud to abound and go unchallenged.  As I've said before, it's not like the Soviets just woke of one day and said hey let's kill tens of millions of Christians and tens of millions of other people that are standing in our way of "progress."  It was more subtle than that in the beginning and started out with a gross over-reaching of the separation of Church and State where religion was viewed as an opiate of the masses and should be eradicated from society in a relatively non-violent manner, but when that didn't work they resorted to more drastic measures that led to one of the most horrific periods in modern history.

So ya, that's another thing Atheists should teach their children so as not to repeat these atrocities in future generations, rather than more biased half-truths about religion.

55 minutes ago, Coreece said:

And it would've stayed that way if you just let your beliefs stand on their own authority rather than going on about how it's unimaginable for parents to instill values because of Santa Claus and all your other unnecessary slights.  How about you stop lying to children about how he's not real and educate them on the back ground of Nicholas of Myra - you might find it enlightening.  I mean after all, how could possible instill any values if you just feed your children a bunch of half truths their whole life?

Ya right, Gowlerk was the one started talking about the level of mass murder & war throughout history, and then he suddenly didn't want to talk about it any more when he saw the direction wasn't going in his favor.

And what it really showed is that Atheists throughout history were exceedingly more efficient at mass murder and in a much smaller time frame of just several decades - they're grossly over-represented when it comes to their share of killing.

And really it just demonstrates what could happen when atheistic sentiments of hate and bloodthirsty desire for progress are aloud to abound and go unchallenged.  As I've said before, it's not like the Soviets just woke of one day and said hey let's kill tens of millions of Christians and tens of millions of other people that are standing in our way of "progress."  It was more subtle than that in the beginning and started out with a gross over-reaching of the separation of Church and State where religion was viewed as an opiate of the masses and should be eradicated from society in a relatively non-violent manner, but when that didn't work they resorted to more drastic measures that led to one of the most horrific periods in modern history.

So ya, that's another thing Atheists should teach their children so as not to repeat these atrocities in future generations, rather than more biased half-truths about religion.

Dude,

Peace out :)

I’ll leave you with a quote from my Aunt a few months ago when I was told i was going to burn in hell for not having Jesus in my life 

“these righteous people drive me nuts....come to hell with me I am sure it will be more fun than sitting with those do-gooders!!”

39 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Dude,

Peace out :)

I’ll leave you with a quote from my Aunt a few months ago when I was told i was going to burn in hell for not having Jesus in my life 

“these righteous people drive me nuts....come to hell with me I am sure it will be more fun than sitting with those do-gooders!!”

If and when I arrive in heaven I'm pretty sure that I won't know anyone there.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

He's singling out those that celebrate Christmas as if they're to blame for enabling these types people to kill others. 

No he's not. He's singling out the people who do it. That's it. He hasn't said one single nasty thing about anyone else. Period. You're only assuming he is because you're projecting your anger onto him - as you have explicitly said you are doing.

So what, where supposed to just stop and celebrate like Nigel? 

Please quote the passage he has written that says that.

Jakee, I think you know that I appreciate your grasp on logic and relatively unique way of looking at certain issues, but I'm just not following this one - and I don't really feel inclined to rehash all that stuff from my 20s in an attempt to understand the angle you're coming from here.

But you are rehashing it. You've said that's what you are doing, and that it's why you assume Nigel is motivated by anger and aggression. Because you were. He's not you.

5 hours ago, Coreece said:

And it would've stayed that way if you just let your beliefs stand on their own authority rather than going on about how it's unimaginable for parents to instill values because of Santa Claus and all your other unnecessary slights.

So you are offended that you turned this thread into an angry diatribe.  And all those atheists are going to cheap hotels to participate in meaningless ceremonies, causing them to later "flip out."  What losers!  And they will get their comeuppance, because the progressive conservatives living in electrically powered modern cities are better off than all those rural backwards atheists who hate progress and who have no power.  A trillion dollars better!  People like you, who live next to a fifty million acre wilderness paradise and who regularly commune with Nature, all those super gibbous moons and whatnot.  And who are NOT AT ALL materialist.  And your examples are valid, but examples other people use about Christianity are exceptions.

And when people point out the conflict in all the above, you claim "Am I not in jest?"  And that the rest of the people here just can't handle your rapier wit.  But you were really being serious.  In a funny way.

That about cover it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Hey, don't forget this:

Coreece said:

"They're too disorganized and divided among themselves right now to pose much of a threat.  Eventually they'll get their act together when Christianity in this country has tempered to a whisper where they can finally hear themselves think.  It'll be a country of Nones, with no God, no jobs and no power - and their long awaited atheistic utopia will be competing with 3 billion Christians and 3 billion Muslims that have just completed their state of the art industrialized metropolises throughout the entire eastern world - and soon thereafter they'll realize their god of evolution and progress has betrayed them."

Will those "state of the art industrialized metropolis's" you Billions of Righteous Believers will be living in be like on the Jetson's? I'm curious, will you be using Bible and Koran Science to pull that off? What about Armegeddon, will one of those Nirvana's be built there? 

30 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Hey, don't forget this:

Coreece said:

"They're too disorganized and divided among themselves right now to pose much of a threat.  Eventually they'll get their act together when Christianity in this country has tempered to a whisper where they can finally hear themselves think.  It'll be a country of Nones, with no God, no jobs and no power - and their long awaited atheistic utopia will be competing with 3 billion Christians and 3 billion Muslims that have just completed their state of the art industrialized metropolises throughout the entire eastern world - and soon thereafter they'll realize their god of evolution and progress has betrayed them."

Hey, don't forget - No Guns too!

30 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Will those "state of the art industrialized metropolis's" you Billions of Righteous Believers will be living in be like on the Jetson's?

Well if you looked at the photo in the CNN link that inspired that bit of satire, you would've seen what it might look like:

image.png.ee9785d06fadb57b67201fdecfee5fd6.png

Not sure what that'll evolve to  look like in 30-100 years from now tho, use your imagination.

But whatever, good luck with that whole wet dream about Christianity and Islam dying!

44 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm curious, will you be using Bible and Koran Science to pull that off?

Don't underestimate Islam's commitment to science - that was one of the selling points atheist Bolos used to make an Alliance with Muslims to fight the Church and win the Russian civil war  - and then when they were through using them for their own selfish means, they just killed them or sent them to the gulags along with Christians and anyone else standing in their way of "progress."  I don't think Muslims we'll be making THAT mistake again.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That about cover it?

Not a bad wrap up Bill. I get too distracted and can't follow along all the twists of logic. I lack the concentration to take on more than one or two at a time. It's dizzying sometimes and I doubt that is accidental.

5 hours ago, Coreece said:

He's singling out those that celebrate Christmas as if they're to blame for enabling these types people to kill others.  So what, where supposed to just stop and celebrate like Nigel?

I'm just going to answer this one again because it's the most rampantly hypocritical and dishonest thing you've posted in the whole thread.

Nigel posted about what his family did this holiday and you're raging about him supposedly wanting everyone else to conform. Ron explicitly posted that he wants everyone to join his religion next year and you thanked him for the message.

Seriously, bro. WTF?

39 minutes ago, jakee said:

Nigel posted about what his family did this holiday and you're raging about him supposedly wanting everyone else to conform. Ron explicitly posted that he wants everyone to join his religion next year and you thanked him for the message.

What is it that you think I thanked him for?

Edited by Coreece

7 hours ago, Coreece said:

You seem to confuse communism with atheism and want to call Stalin's murderous regime a religious battle. It was not, and I'm not going to be drawn into a useless debate over the body count of history. History is interesting, but not as important as today and tomorrow. People are killing others in the name of god today. Of course it is not the fault of god or religious leaders. It is a cultural and racial battle. God does not ask Christians to kill Jews, or Muslims to kill Christians. But someone does. Who?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:
13 hours ago, Coreece said:

You seem to confuse communism with atheism and want to call Stalin's murderous regime a religious battle.

Rather than making something up just to make it seem like it's what I said, why didn't you just quote something that I actually said on the subject?

Probably because this is just another convenient programed response from liberal atheists any time the subject comes up without having to address what was actually said - It's likely just an attempt to dismiss the content hoping that others didn't actually read it or that they're just too ignorant to understand it.

Here's a series of responses from just a couple months ago on this particular subject that might help satisfy your objection:

Edited in Q&A form:

QUESTION:  Equating people who happen to be atheists with the political dogma of Stalinism?  Come on man.

ANSWER:  No, I'm talking about atheist rhetoric of today and it's similarities with anti-religious propaganda, even before Stalin.

After the Bolos took over, there was still a fierce debate over how the "opiate of religion" should be handled.  Those on the right felt that that religion would  just die naturally with the influence of science, education and anti-religious propaganda, especially after the elimination of religion in schools and the public square.  Those on the left felt a more militant approach was necessary.  As they grew weary of waiting for religion to die, the full might of the leftist's militant approach was realized.

QUESTION:  You just throw out some actions by the Communists in the Soviet Union and pretend that that's how ALL atheists act?

ANSWER:  Nah, I've already mentioned how some atheists were sickened with how the religious were being treated, and opposed a militant approach, but history is full of examples of relatively good, well intentioned people finding themselves in precarious situations and doing very bad things.

QUESTION:  Didn't those in power in the USSR do everything they could to stop anyone and anything that threatened their power?

ANSWER:  Absolutely, but they obviously had a special kind of hard-on for eliminating religion, especially when they got tired of waiting for it to die off after the Russian civil war like they had hoped, which is why they amped-up production of strictly anti-religious newspapers and designated various groups like the Militant Godless and other atheist goons to promote atheism by any means necessary.

“Militant atheism is not merely incidental or marginal to Communist policy. It is not a side effect, but the central pivot” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn